Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS interview - what do they ask?

Wikiposts

AOS interview - what do they ask?

Old Sep 22nd 2005, 5:07 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light
Default AOS interview - what do they ask?

I married my American husband in April this year and my AOS interview is on Monday. What kind of questions will they ask? Also what evidence do I need to take with me? They sent me a list with passport, birth certificate, W2's, tax returns etc. However, i was wondering if any additional info e.g. photos is required?
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS interview - what do they ask?

Originally Posted by Shahlax
I married my American husband in April this year and my AOS interview is on Monday. What kind of questions will they ask? Also what evidence do I need to take with me? They sent me a list with passport, birth certificate, W2's, tax returns etc. However, i was wondering if any additional info e.g. photos is required?
Bring as muh evidence as you can! They can ask anything they want...
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:59 am
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: AOS interview - what do they ask?

It would honestly be pointless trying to list every question they ask. They may ask you a couple of basic ones, or they may separate you and question you individually.

If you dont know the answer to a question - its fine to say so!

Genuine wedded couples should have nothing to fear!
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:05 am
Expat Aussie

Location: Gainesville, VA, USA / Alice Springs, NT, Australia
AussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant future

The list CIS sent you should also mention photos and other evidence of a shared life together, such as utility bills in both names, etc.
As for questions you will be asked, anything and/or everything! Just answer all questions truthfully, if you don't know the answer to a question, don't make stuff up, it's OK to say "I don't know".
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:26 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

Every interview is different. It is normal to be nervous -- the examiners see nervous people all the time, so there is nothing wrong about that.

I give my clients three ironclad rules to follow -- this makes your job easier, the examiner's job easier, and protects you from potentially from doing harm to yourself.

1. Tell the truth, its easier to remember. Ancillary: Don't guess. "I don't know" or "I don't remember" are fine if they are the truth.

2. Understand the question being asked. If you don't understand, then you are guessing and violating rule #1. It is OK to say "I don't understand" "What?" "Can you repeat that" or even "huh??". The question will be rephrased.

3. Answer ONLY the question asked and nothing more. This rule is the hardest one to follow. You don't have to explain your answers unless asked. Example: Q: "Do you know what time it is?" The only correct answers are either "yes" or "no" -- if you say "8:30", you've given more than asked for [I know that the question actually is a polite way of asking "what time is it?", but I'm using it to make a point].

Don't try to get into the DAO's head or figure out WHY she is asking a particular question -- you don't have the time or training for that. Just follow the above three rules.

Good luck.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 3:33 am

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: AOS interview - what do they ask?

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll just go prepared with the list if things to take plus some extra evidence. They didn't ask for proof of relationship in my list but looks like they might want it.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 3:36 am

Question Re: AOS interview - what do they ask?

Another question. I recently moved but haven't told USCIS yet. Do I tell them at the AOS interview or wait until afterwards?
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 3:41 am
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Another question. I recently moved but haven't told USCIS yet. Do I tell them at the AOS interview or wait until afterwards?
You are supposed to advise CIS of a change of address within 10 days. Complete an AR-11, but (someone else please clarify this for me) i think you also need to let the local office know separately?
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 3:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely tell them at the interview!! You don't want your GC getting mailed to an old address!

You are required by law to complete an AR-11 within 10 days of moving, and also your sponsor needs to complete an I-865 (sponsor change of address). I'd also call the 800 number and notify them of your new address as well.

Congratulations on your interview! Ours was a breeze, and they didn't ask half the questions I thought they would!

Rene
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 5:12 am

Question Re: AOS interview - what do they ask?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Definitely tell them at the interview!! You don't want your GC getting mailed to an old address!

You are required by law to complete an AR-11 within 10 days of moving, and also your sponsor needs to complete an I-865 (sponsor change of address). I'd also call the 800 number and notify them of your new address as well.

Congratulations on your interview! Ours was a breeze, and they didn't ask half the questions I thought they would!

Rene
Thanks. I am happy to get the interview but am getting nervous now. It's been a month since we moved. Do you think I should mention that or will I get in trouble?
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 5:30 am
Together at last!

Simon&Vik will become famous soon enoughSimon&Vik will become famous soon enough

been a month since we moved. Do you think I should mention that or will I get in trouble?
You might just say, "We recently moved & need to fill out the correct papers for that." If they ask when you moved, tell them the truth. That's a pretty minor offense I would think.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 5:50 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think I should mention that or will I get in trouble?
File the paperwork now... today! Don't wait for the interview. At the interview, mention that you have moved, that you have filed the AR-11, and give the officer your new address... but file the required paperwork immediately if not sooner.

Ian
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 5:57 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
File the paperwork now... today! Don't wait for the interview. At the interview, mention that you have moved, that you have filed the AR-11, and give the officer your new address... but file the required paperwork immediately if not sooner.

Ian
I agree, she should send off the AR-11 and all that ASAP. She should also send in written notice to her local office....but they won't receive it in time to update her records before production of the GC, I would imagine. But today is Friday, and her interview is Monday.

Shahlax, you MUST tell them at the interview, otherwise how will they know where to send your GC??

Rene
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I agree, she should send off the AR-11 and all that ASAP. She should also send in written notice to her local office....but they won't receive it in time to update her records before production of the GC, I would imagine. But today is Friday, and her interview is Monday.

Shahlax, you MUST tell them at the interview, otherwise how will they know where to send your GC??

Rene
Ok, I'll do the AR-11 today. And also tell them at the interview. I was going to take my new lease as proof of us living together but the dates on that show we moved a month ago.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 6:07 am

Ok, I'll do the AR-11 today. And also tell them at the interview. I was going to take my new lease as proof of us living together but the dates on that show we moved a month ago.
It's ok. Just do all your supposed to do in relation to changing address. Don't forget to have your husband do the I-865, send written notice to your local office, and call the 800 number as well. And, make sure they know at the interview. You don't want that GC getting bounced back to USCIS!

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.