Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS interview and time line

Wikiposts

AOS interview and time line

Old Mar 25th 2002, 4:02 pm
Dennis

Default AOS interview and time line

Well we just got back from our interview for our AOS. It was a very simple interview
as long as all the paperwork was correct. It took a little longer because some was
missing. First he could not find the medical from China in their files but he
decided not to hassle with it. He ask the girls all the questions that were on the
forms were correct and we fixed the ones that weren't, we had moved since filing in
Aug. of 2000, they had changed jobs so they signed the form stating that the new
info was correct. Our I-864 was fine as long as we included her income to meet the
poverty level and he asked for the I-864a form which is her agreement that her
income could be used. So now we have 2 new CPR's here, we asked about getting the
ten year card since we were only 6 weeks away from our 2nd anniversary but no luck.
He said we could apply to lift the conditions around Jan of 2004 and in Jan of 2005
apply for citizenship for my wife but my daughter will have to wait two more years
after that to apply for hers since she will be 21 by then. So below is our time line
with some comments.

Oct. 19th 1999 - Filed I-129f at TSC Oct. 29th 1999 - Received NOA #1 Nov. 27th 1999
- Received NOA #2 Yea we were approved Nov. 28th filed at Guangzhou for provisional
file by fax GZ sent #3 out the same day Dec 3 received #3 Dec 16 Mailed #3 back
Consulate Shut down from Dec 20th through Jan 4th for holidays and Y2K Jan 7th
received #4 that said we could come for the interview 2 weeks after receiving #4
Fiance says Chinese government will not give her a passport with a letter from me, I
overnight two different letters but they still want more so I fly back to China Feb.
1st Feb. 2nd Chinese new year government offices closed for two weeks Feb. 15th we
arrive in Hainan her birth place where she had to get Passport, we go to the police
dept. and her sister-in-law is sitting behind the desk chatting with the person that
had been turning us down. He finally gives them the passport on the 18th Feb. 20 get
to Guangzhou check into victory hotel 3 blocks from Consulate. Girls find one of the
hospital for medical that give same day results. Daughter receives Ok but the doctor
tell my wife she has AIDS and for 300 USD she can give her 3 shots to cure her. I go
back to the Doctor and confront her on this and she says if consulate say she can
get shots in America she will sign papers. I talked to the consulate and they laugh
and say OK. They called the doctor and asked how she could cure AIDS, Doctor changes
story to Immune Deficiency from lack of Iron then says my wife had a false negative
reading for STD and with that the consulate can do nothing except tell us to get the
shots since that doctor has to sign her papers we can not go to another. We are
stuck in Guangzhou for 3 weeks so she can get 1 shot a week at 100 USD per shot.
(She got Her Money) March 8th get final shot ( if you have a STD it will always show
up in blood so we had her checked out in America and there was no problem) March 9th
go for interview - Wife denied visa given RFE 3 items, they want a I- 864 because my
income went from 2000 in 97 to 87000 in 98 explained I received funds from a
lawsuit, 2nd item was a letter stating I knew of her physical condition, wrote
letter, 3rd item the wanted was a 5 minute tape of me writing and speaking Chinese,
I wrote a letter explaining how we had been communicating for the last year and that
I had her registered for classes in America and that I had a roommate in America
that could translate for us. March 10th submit these letters to consulate at outside
window (no interview ) and was told to come back at 2 pm, we come back and they tell
us we are approved and to come back the next day at 4 to get visa. Meiying decides
to go back that day at 4 to see how the process works and was surprised when they
called her name and gave her the passports back with the visa inside. March 11th
arrive back in Nanning to get personal items ready for the flight home on the 13th,
we find out she has to get another physical to be able to exit China from Nanning.
Her friend is a doctor so a half hour later we have it. March 13th leave China March
14th Arrive in LA POE no problem, they take brown envelope ask which city we will
adjust at and say welcome to America 15 minutes in all March 15th Arrive in Tampa
March 16th go to INS apply for temp EAD received in 45 minutes, go to SS in and out
in 10 minutes March 20th my doctor advise me not to return to work due to heart
condition - no work = not enough income to meet requirements find cosponsor May 3rd
get married and go to court house to get the official certificate of marriage and
several copies Late May co- sponsor put in Hospital, He dies 2 weeks later June 13th
90 days are up but no co sponsor, search for two months to find someone or some way
August 25th file for AOS with no cosponsor but added I-864a which woman at INS
requested we also filed for a fee wavier and was told AOS take about 300 days in
Tampa Nov. no word from INS about EAD card went to INS office and was told they lost
our file and to come back in a couple of months it might show up, Called our
Congressman's office instead but they were no help Feb. 2001 We received tax return
and went to INS to pay for the fees thinking this was the problem, which it was not,
Woman at the window is the assistant director and the liaison to all Politicians in
the Area she knows who we are and she says she has our file but can not accept the
money from us. She tell us to go back to our congressman's office and have them mail
it to her since we were using the Con. Office we would have to do all our business
through them May 2001 we get notice to come get EAD card Sept. 2001 contact Con.off.
to find out what was taking so long since Tampa time line is around 300 days and we
were past 400 days. We got a canned response from INS that they would contact us
when it was time for interview. Jan 25th 2002 send in Change of address Feb. 7th
receive notice of interview for March 25th at old address MArch 25th (today ) had
interview, they still could not find medical, requested I-864a and asked my wife if
she understood what she had signed and she said yes. Interview went well as stated
earlier. Now a comment, I think by getting my congressman's office involved got the
woman at INS angry with us and she put the screws to with delaying our interview
until now and making it 6 weeks before our second anniversary which would have given
us the ten year card instead we now have to go back in two years to get conditions
removed So unless you are ready to deal with a irate INS worker think before you
bring in your congressman's office. Dennis & Meiying

PS Rete I will post his to the timeline board as soon as I find it
--
Come Join Over 200 Couples at Asian - American Couples
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Asian_American_Couples/

Old Mar 25th 2002, 4:02 pm
Rag Bag

Default Re: AOS interview and time line

I though that you only had to be married for 2 years before you could file for
Permant Green Card? not 2 years of being CPR if not married for 2 years when
you get CPR?

"Dennis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Well we just got back from our interview for our AOS. It was a very simple
    > interview as long as all the paperwork was correct. It took a little longer because
    > some was missing. First he could not find the medical from China in their files but
    > he decided not to hassle with it. He ask the girls all the questions that were on
    > the forms were correct and we fixed the ones that weren't, we had moved since
    > filing in Aug. of 2000, they had changed jobs so they signed the form stating that
    > the new info was correct. Our I-864 was fine as long as we included her income to
    > meet the poverty level and he asked for the I-864a form which is her agreement that
    > her income could be used. So now we have 2 new CPR's here, we asked about getting
    > the ten year card since we were only 6 weeks away from our 2nd anniversary but no
    > luck. He said we could apply to lift the conditions around Jan of 2004 and in Jan
    > of 2005 apply for citizenship for my wife but my daughter will have to wait two
    > more years after that to apply for hers since she will be 21 by then. So below is
    > our time line with some comments.
    >
    > Oct. 19th 1999 - Filed I-129f at TSC Oct. 29th 1999 - Received NOA #1 Nov. 27th
    > 1999 - Received NOA #2 Yea we were approved Nov. 28th filed at Guangzhou for
    > provisional file by fax GZ sent #3 out the same day Dec 3 received #3 Dec 16
    > Mailed #3 back Consulate Shut down from Dec 20th through Jan 4th for holidays and
    > Y2K Jan 7th received #4 that said we could come for the interview 2 weeks after
    > receiving #4 Fiance says Chinese government will not give her a passport with a
    > letter from me, I overnight two different letters but they still want more so I
    > fly back to China Feb. 1st Feb. 2nd Chinese new year government offices closed
    > for two weeks Feb. 15th we arrive in Hainan her birth place where she had to get
    > Passport, we go to the police dept. and her sister-in-law is sitting behind the
    > desk chatting with the person that had been turning us down. He finally gives
    > them the passport on the 18th Feb. 20 get to Guangzhou check into victory hotel 3
    > blocks from Consulate. Girls find one of the hospital for medical that give same
    > day results. Daughter receives Ok but the doctor tell my wife she has AIDS and
    > for 300 USD she can give her 3 shots to cure her. I go back to the Doctor and
    > confront her on this and she says if consulate say she can get shots in America
    > she will sign papers. I talked to the consulate and they laugh and say OK. They
    > called the doctor and asked how she could cure AIDS, Doctor changes story to
    > Immune Deficiency from lack of Iron then says my wife had a false negative
    > reading for STD and with that the consulate can do nothing except tell us to get
    > the shots since that doctor has to sign her papers we can not go to another. We
    > are stuck in Guangzhou for 3 weeks so she can get 1 shot a week at 100 USD per
    > shot. (She got Her Money) March 8th get final shot ( if you have a STD it will
    > always show up in blood so we had her checked out in America and there was no
    > problem) March 9th go for interview - Wife denied visa given RFE 3 items, they
    > want a I- 864 because my income went from 2000 in 97 to 87000 in 98 explained I
    > received funds from a lawsuit, 2nd item was a letter stating I knew of her
    > physical condition, wrote letter, 3rd item the wanted was a 5 minute tape of me
    > writing and speaking Chinese, I wrote a letter explaining how we had been
    > communicating for the last year and that I had her registered for classes in
    > America and that I had a roommate in America that could translate for us. March
    > 10th submit these letters to consulate at outside window (no interview ) and was
    > told to come back at 2 pm, we come back and they tell us we are approved and to
    > come back the next day at 4 to get visa. Meiying decides to go back that day at 4
    > to see how the process works and was surprised when they called her name and gave
    > her the passports back with the visa inside. March 11th arrive back in Nanning to
    > get personal items ready for the flight home on the 13th, we find out she has to
    > get another physical to be able to exit China from Nanning. Her friend is a
    > doctor so a half hour later we have it. March 13th leave China March 14th Arrive
    > in LA POE no problem, they take brown envelope ask which city we will adjust at
    > and say welcome to America 15 minutes in all March 15th Arrive in Tampa March
    > 16th go to INS apply for temp EAD received in 45 minutes, go to SS in and out in
    > 10 minutes March 20th my doctor advise me not to return to work due to heart
    > condition - no work = not enough income to meet requirements find cosponsor May
    > 3rd get married and go to court house to get the official certificate of marriage
    > and several copies Late May co- sponsor put in Hospital, He dies 2 weeks later
    > June 13th 90 days are up but no co sponsor, search for two months to find someone
    > or some way August 25th file for AOS with no cosponsor but added I-864a which
    > woman at INS requested we also filed for a fee wavier and was told AOS take about
    > 300 days in Tampa Nov. no word from INS about EAD card went to INS office and was
    > told they lost our file and to come back in a couple of months it might show up,
    > Called our Congressman's office instead but they were no help Feb. 2001 We
    > received tax return and went to INS to pay for the fees thinking this was the
    > problem, which it was not, Woman at the window is the assistant director and the
    > liaison to all Politicians in the Area she knows who we are and she says she has
    > our file but can not accept the money from us. She tell us to go back to our
    > congressman's office and have them mail it to her since we were using the Con.
    > Office we would have to do all our business through them May 2001 we get notice
    > to come get EAD card Sept. 2001 contact Con.off. to find out what was taking so
    > long since Tampa time line is around 300 days and we were past 400 days. We got a
    > canned response from INS that they would contact us when it was time for
    > interview. Jan 25th 2002 send in Change of address Feb. 7th receive notice of
    > interview for March 25th at old address MArch 25th (today ) had interview, they
    > still could not find medical, requested I-864a and asked my wife if she
    > understood what she had signed and she said yes. Interview went well as stated
    > earlier. Now a comment, I think by getting my congressman's office involved got
    > the woman at INS angry with us and she put the screws to with delaying our
    > interview until now and making it 6 weeks before our second anniversary which
    > would have given us the ten year card instead we now have to go back in two years
    > to get conditions removed So unless you are ready to deal with a irate INS worker
    > think before you bring in your congressman's office. Dennis & Meiying
    >
    > PS Rete I will post his to the timeline board as soon as I find it
    > --
    > ************************************************** *
    > Come Join Over 200 Couples at Asian - American Couples
    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Asian_American_Couples/
    > ************************************************** *

Old Mar 26th 2002, 12:05 am
Dawn

"Rag Bag" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I though that you only had to be married for 2 years before you could file for
    > Permant Green Card? not 2 years of being CPR if not married for 2 years when you
    > get CPR?

If you have your AOS interview and get approved *before* the second anniversary of
your wedding date, you are given Conditional Permanent Residency, which is good for 2
years. Three months before the expiration date (which is on the greencard), you file
to have the conditions removed, and then get the 10 year card. We were married
3-31-01, filed AOS on 4-7-01, had our interview on 3-5-02, and my husband's card
arrived in the mail last Saturday. Yesterday, he got not one but two "Welcome"
letters from the Department of Justice, stating his card would arrive in about 3
weeks and he had to carry it with him at all times by law.

Dawn

Old Mar 26th 2002, 12:35 am
Dawn

[email protected] (Dennis) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>... <snipped>

Wow. What an incredible journey you've had. I admire your persistence. Good luck
to you all!

Dawn

Old Mar 26th 2002, 1:05 am
Betastar

Reading this, I have to say - you must love each-other VERY much to have gone through
all of this to be together.

Congratulations!

Old Mar 26th 2002, 2:05 am
Rag Bag

Drat !!!

I though that that if we got CPR before 2 years of mariage that we could apply for PR
on our 2nd year of marriage.

Oh well, looks like I miss understood again.

"Betastar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Reading this, I have to say - you must love each-other VERY much to have gone
    > through all of this to be together.
    >
    > Congratulations!

Old Mar 26th 2002, 2:38 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yup you did Rag Bag. Glad to see you got that straightened out ;-)

Hey Dennis and Meiying

Congratulations on getting through this part of the process unscattered. Makes up for the difficult time you had previously.

Thanks for posting it on the experience pages Dennis. I know that others will thank you when reading of your experiences

Rita
Old Mar 26th 2002, 3:44 pm
Omo

[email protected] (Dennis) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...

> they lost our file and to come back in a couple of months it might
show
    > up, Called our Congressman's office instead but they were no help Feb. 2001 We
    > received tax return and went to INS to pay for the fees thinking this was the
    > problem, which it was not, Woman at the window is the assistant director and the
    > liaison to all Politicians in the Area she knows who we are and she says she has
    > our file but can not accept the money from us. She tell us to go back to our
    > congressman's office and have them mail it to her since we were using the Con.
    > Office we would have to do all our business through them.

> Now a comment, I think by getting my congressman's office involved got the woman at
    > INS angry with us and she put the screws too with delaying our interview until now
    > and making it 6 weeks before our second anniversary which would have given us the
    > ten year card. Instead, we now have to go back in two years to get conditions
    > removed. So, unless you are ready to deal with a irate INS worker, think before you
    > bring in your congressman's office.

> Dennis & Meiying

Dennis,

Congratulations on a successful interview, but what a price to pay as well.

Amazing! The liaison gets mad because you forced them to get up off their lazy a**,
get to work and find your "supposedly" lost files?? And in return for the
congressional inquiry, this vindictive moron retaliates by delaying the process and
forcing you to go through the Congressman's office to pay when she can just as easily
accept it?? I cannot think of anymore more absurd! (I suppose writing a letter of
complaint regarding her actions would be moot at this point.)

Well, please be assured that there are others who would have used the same avenue
as you did to achieve some results in this long overdue process. You are certainly
not alone and, for what they put you through, the 10-year card would have been
well deserved. (Hubby and I achieved AOS success 3 weeks ago, so timewise, we're
right along with you and must file for removal of conditions around that time.)
All the best.

Omo.

Dennis

[email protected] (Betastar) wrote in message
    > Reading this, I have to say - you must love each-other VERY much to have gone
    > through all of this to be together.
    >
    > Congratulations!

We do even tho I have had to sleep on the couch a few nights ;~) But it was all worth
it so thanks. Dennis

Dennis

Rita, Thanks and yes it was worth every penny and worry line to have my family with
me. Now to keep passing the help along to the next one as long as I can. Dennis

Rete <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Yup you did Rag Bag. Glad to see you got that straightened out
    >
    > Hey Dennis and Meiying
    >
    > Congratulations on getting through this part of the process unscattered. Makes up
    > for the difficult time you had previously.
    >
    > Thanks for posting it on the experience pages Dennis. I know that others will thank
    > you when reading of your experiences
    >
    > Rita
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > --
    > Rete and Jim (Can/Am Alumni '98)
    >
    > The K1 FAQ http://www.k1faq.com The Mysterious Sealed Brown Envelope
    > http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm Update AOS Experiences at:
    > http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html Update POE Experiences at:
    > http://www.k1poelist.com/ Update AOS filing: http://www.kamya.com/aos/ I-130/I-485
    > Helpsite at: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
    > http://www.geocities.com/immigration...-130/index.htm AOS filing; AOS,
    > I-130 and K-1 Interview Experiences: http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html
    >
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Dennis

[email protected] (Omo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > [email protected] (Dennis) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]. com>...

>
    > Dennis,
    >
    > Congratulations on a successful interview, but what a price to pay as well.
    >
    > Amazing! The liaison gets mad because you forced them to get up off their lazy a**,
    > get to work and find your "supposedly" lost files?? And in return for the
    > congressional inquiry, this vindictive moron retaliates by delaying the process and
    > forcing you to go through the Congressman's office to pay when she can just as
    > easily accept it?? I cannot think of anymore more absurd! (I suppose writing a
    > letter of complaint regarding her actions would be moot at this point.)
Who would I complain to she was the Assistant director for Tampa, I think she was a
republican and My Congressman was a Democrat ;~)
    >
    > Well, please be assured that there are others who would have used the same avenue
    > as you did to achieve some results in this long overdue process. You are certainly
    > not alone and, for what they put you through, the 10-year card would have been
    > well deserved. (Hubby and I achieved AOS success 3 weeks ago, so timewise, we're
    > right along with you and must file for removal of conditions around that time.)
    > All the best.
    >
    > Omo.
Good luck and hope to still see you here in two years helping others too. Dennis

Betastar

On 26 Mar 2002 17:14:12 -0800, [email protected] (Dennis) spake:

>[email protected] (Betastar) wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Reading this, I have to say - you must love each-other VERY much to have gone
    >> through all of this to be together.
    >>
    >> Congratulations!
    >
    >We do even tho I have had to sleep on the couch a few nights ;~) But it was all
    >worth it so thanks.

I had to sleep on the couch Friday night - but that's 'cause my Aunt and Uncle were
visiting and we gave them our bed =)