Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS Interview & Thank You

AOS Interview & Thank You

Old Aug 8th 2019, 12:43 pm
Ongoing K1 Visa

Trilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond repute
Default AOS Interview & Thank You

I have been a bit quiet on here for quite a while (which is probably a good thing due to some of my past panic posts ) but I just wanted to say after 611 days after the first bit of paperwork to start the K-1 process was mailed the end has finally come. We had the AOS interview this week and it all went well and my GC is now being produced.

On arrival you go through airport style security and then once through that to a reception desk where they look at your interview letter and then attach a slip to it for the interviewing officer to see and then hand the letter back to you. We waited around 15/ 20 minutes in the waiting room before being called, but we were slightly early as we had to find parking and knew we would have to get through security.

We were both anxious in the run up to the day itself, which is only natural, but the officer was really nice and set us at ease. She swore us in and then I had to do a facial recognition and fingerprints scan to prove it was actually me. We then ran through my I-485 form and after that she asked me my wife's D.O.B then asked us both how we met and about the wedding. The only evidence she asked to see was our joint bills and bank details etc, the bulging folder filled with as much evidence as possible was not needed, but, it's always best to have too much than too little as you never know what they might ask for. The interview took around 20 minutes (if that) and we were told I was accepted there and then (my wife gave a happy cry bless her). The officer went through a few things with us afterwards regards what is needed to be done after the 2 years to remove the conditions and explained after 3 years I can become a citizen if I wish and do the naturalization test. We left the building all smiles and went to celebrate for the rest of the day. Now I can finally get a job and learn to drive too which is going to be a big benefit for us both.

Thank you to all the help and advice that has been given on BE over this time, I'll try and frequent the site to give any advice I can on the process myself, now I have finally got through it

Last edited by Trilo; Aug 8th 2019 at 12:50 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 2:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS Interview & Thank You

Congratulations, Trilo. Love happy endings. Your interview sounds just like ours nearly 2 decades ago.

Your advice to ours would be most welcomed and you will be asking questions 2 years less 90 days from the start date of your residency for removal of conditions and again 3 years less 90 days from that same date for your naturalization process, if you want to naturalize. So keep all the documents for the AOS in order and handy so you can use some of them again.
Old Aug 11th 2019, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

LakeTahoe18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Trilo

Thank you so much for recording your experience. We are not even close to where you are (medical next week and interview in Sept for K-1), but I am starting to record other people's experiences on AOS.

One question to you, you mention that it's after your interview on AOS when you "can now get a job and driver's licence" etc. Did you not apply for a work authorisation and travel permit the minute you files AOS? Or has that process changed or did you have other reasons not to file for those and get them earlier than your GC?

Thanks for any advice :-)
Hannah
Old Aug 11th 2019, 6:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No things have not changed. You most probably will not be able to get a driver's license until you have EAD in hand and then in most states the license will expire the same time as the EAD. So if you don't have your AOS and green card by that time, you will have to wait until your renewal EAD comes through to extend your DL.

I've not gone back through Trilo's past posts to see why he has not worked while waiting nearly 2 years for his AOS interview and acceptance.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 11:40 am
Ongoing K1 Visa

Trilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond repute

I applied for my EAD and Travel Permit when I filed the AOS. Believe it or not, the I-131 and I-765 were approved a week before my interview and the card turned up 3 days before my interview, lol.

I am now applying for jobs and will be getting my learners permit soon too
Old Aug 12th 2019, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Trilo!
How long after you filed for your AOS did you have the interview?
Old Aug 12th 2019, 2:06 pm
Ongoing K1 Visa

Originally Posted by LakeTahoe18
Thanks Trilo!
How long after you filed for your AOS did you have the interview?
It took 6 months to get to interview after filing, give or take a few days. My bio-metrics was scheduled in mid February which was pretty quick

Last edited by Trilo; Aug 12th 2019 at 2:10 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Trilo! I'm concerned that it takes 6 months for EA and TA when it's usually only 3 months
Old Aug 12th 2019, 7:46 pm
Ongoing K1 Visa

I'm guessing it depends how much backlog some of the offices have to deal with in specific parts of the country? It was a bit disappointing that I had to wait so long for the EA/ TA and then getting it so close to the interview :/ You may get lucky and receive it sooner when you apply *fingers crossed*