Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS Interview Tampa Experience

Wikiposts

AOS Interview Tampa Experience

Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:53 am
Dragon with a Wagon

Dudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant future
Question AOS Interview Tampa Experience

Hey all, well I guess I'll be waiting for the outcome of the interview before I leave to deal with family issues in the UK.

In the meantime I have a question. Has anyone had their interview in Tampa and if so what was your interview experience like, what was your view of the whole process there?

I've been given a list of things to take, does my DH need the original paperwork for his 2009 tax return, we have it for the two years prior, but his paperwork was filed by a tax attorney here in FL, we have copies, do you know if that will suffice, or will I need to get a hold of the attorney?

Will my DH need a full breakdown of his pay, or will his paystubs do, as everything is listed there?

I am sure there are a million more things I will come to ask you, in the meantime TIA

Upon closer inspection it only wants tax and paystubs if they haven't already been sent to them, does that sound right?

Last edited by Dudette; Jun 14th 2010 at 8:19 am. Reason: More information
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS Interview Tampa Experience

Originally Posted by Dudette
Hey all, well I guess I'll be waiting for the outcome of the interview before I leave to deal with family issues in the UK.

In the meantime I have a question. Has anyone had their interview in Tampa and if so what was your interview experience like, what was your view of the whole process there?
I did my AoS interview in Tampa but that was in 2001 so I don't know how relevant it is now. As I recall, it wasn't bad but we did have an attorney with us which may have helped. The guy doing the interview had actually retired but because of the backlog at the time, they bought him out of retirement. He was quite nice but thorough. At the time, I was the one who was employed and I know we had to show the previous years tax returns. We also had a co-sponsor for the Affidavit of Support.

On the whole, the Tampa office were ok except for the time they sent the first EAD appointment letter out to the wrong address. Back then you had an appointment at the local office to collect it. It took over 110 days to get that first EAD!

After waiting 90 days, I went to the office. No Infopass back then. I had a letter from my lawyer asking for me to be let in to request an interim EAD. The woman who saw me just so happened to be the supervisor, caught me by surprise by chastised me for not turning up for the EAD appt 2 months earlier. I explained I never got the letter because it was sent to the wrong address. She was somewhat flustered and annoyed, probably not helped by having to deal with the many other people waiting in the office that she had to deal with, looked at the paperwork, checked the address then realized it was their mistake and re-scheduled the appt for nearly 2 weeks later, the earliest appt available. I never got an apology. Oh fun times we had under the good old days of the legacy INS system. I would hope these days they are more "with it" but then again...you never know! Good luck for the interview.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 9:26 am
Dragon with a Wagon

Dudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant future
Default Re: AOS Interview Tampa Experience

Originally Posted by Brit3964
I did my AoS interview in Tampa but that was in 2001 so I don't know how relevant it is now. As I recall, it wasn't bad but we did have an attorney with us which may have helped. The guy doing the interview had actually retired but because of the backlog at the time, they bought him out of retirement. He was quite nice but thorough. At the time, I was the one who was employed and I know we had to show the previous years tax returns. We also had a co-sponsor for the Affidavit of Support.

On the whole, the Tampa office were ok except for the time they sent the first EAD appointment letter out to the wrong address. Back then you had an appointment at the local office to collect it. It took over 110 days to get that first EAD!

After waiting 90 days, I went to the office. No Infopass back then. I had a letter from my lawyer asking for me to be let in to request an interim EAD. The woman who saw me just so happened to be the supervisor, caught me by surprise by chastised me for not turning up for the EAD appt 2 months earlier. I explained I never got the letter because it was sent to the wrong address. She was somewhat flustered and annoyed, probably not helped by having to deal with the many other people waiting in the office that she had to deal with, looked at the paperwork, checked the address then realized it was their mistake and re-scheduled the appt for nearly 2 weeks later, the earliest appt available. I never got an apology. Oh fun times we had under the good old days of the legacy INS system. I would hope these days they are more "with it" but then again...you never know! Good luck for the interview.
Thanks so much for sharing your experience, sounds like you had a bit of hard time.

I was only at an appointment there on Thursday and that seems to be when the notice was dated, so that's great news with regards to things moving along better in Tampa.