Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS Interview survival Tips

Wikiposts

AOS Interview survival Tips

Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS Interview survival Tips

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
Oh that's good to know. It was reading something else you wrote in another thread, I think, that made me wonder about handing over your EAD and not getting your GC for months.
I think you can reapply for EAD essentially in perpetuity whilst they adjudicating your AOS application.

I've been looking through my AOS paperwork today (it's from '05, '06 and '07, so a bit of a haze in my mind at this point,) trying to figure out what happened and when. But I have the EAD card in my hand right now, so I know that I didn't hand it back!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:39 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I have my AOS interview next month and I was wondering if anyone has any tips that might be helpful. .... My bank account is still in my maiden name and my husband has his own account. ...
Why? You've had plenty of time to establish a joint account, and you still have time to do so.

It's certainly not necessary, especially if there are good financial reasons not to do so. Is that the case with you, or are you and your husband just natural procrastinators?

If the latter, my tip is - get moving. When you don't have much, why pass up something that you easily could have?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Why? You've had plenty of time to establish a joint account, and you still have time to do so.

It's certainly not necessary, especially if there are good financial reasons not to do so. Is that the case with you, or are you and your husband just natural procrastinators?

If the latter, my tip is - get moving. When you don't have much, why pass up something that you easily could have?
The main reason we don't have a joint account is because my husband is not very good with money and we've agreed that I will manage our finances.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rete
A large percentage of approval is due to the adjudicator's reaction to the both of you as a couple while you are at the interview. So be natural with one another. In our case, when we were asked for the original of a document and I was looking in the redweld for it, DH reached over to help me and I snapped at him "I know where it is". She laughed and said "Now I know you are married."

Bring originals of everything you sent in and if you are going to be offering photographs as evidence bring color copies of the photos. In our case she asked if she could keep one of the photo copies.

If you are bringing new documentation, then bring an original and a copy and give them the copy for your file.
Quick question about bringing original documents. I have only copies of certain documents like my husband's grandparents birth certificates and tax documents, which we used for the I-864 part of the application. Is it necessary for us to bring the originals of these too?

Also, might sound silly, but what's the best way to store the documents and USCIS correspondence? Can they be hole punched and put in a binder for the interview?
Old Jan 26th 2009, 2:00 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, so they only ask for your EADs if you are approved the day of the interview. And, you can ask for the stamp in your passport so you have proof of your status while you wait for the GC.

That was in the olden days. Today they no longer give you the I-551 stamp. Some type of new ruling from a year or so ago. So you will be retaining the EAD and the AP.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 2:03 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The main reason we don't have a joint account is because my husband is not very good with money and we've agreed that I will manage our finances.

In our case it was my husband said he had handled the finances through two other marriages and didn't want to be arsed to do it again. So we have three accounts (six if you count his savings and checking accounts in Canada). One is my savings account; one is his savings account; and one is our joint checking account. He does not touch the checking account as he doesn't want any part of it. Both our paychecks are direct deposited in there and then I transfer a fixed amount monthly to our savings accounts.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
In our case it was my husband said he had handled the finances through two other marriages and didn't want to be arsed to do it again. So we have three accounts (six if you count his savings and checking accounts in Canada). One is my savings account; one is his savings account; and one is our joint checking account. He does not touch the checking account as he doesn't want any part of it. Both our paychecks are direct deposited in there and then I transfer a fixed amount monthly to our savings accounts.
That's a good way of doing it! I might consider that - although, I think hubby wants me to handle savings too.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:19 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good way of doing it! I might consider that - although, I think hubby wants me to handle savings too.
Marriage Survival Tip: Both parties should have access to and a working knowledge of the household and family finances.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Marriage Survival Tip: Both parties should have access to and a working knowledge of the household and family finances.
And the purchase of handbags is ALWAYS allowed.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:29 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. And hubby always has to just say "yes, dear" when wife says "put money in the account so I can pay the bills!!" LOL
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
And the purchase of handbags is ALWAYS allowed.
heheh.. we should do one of those lists. We have a lot of years of successful marriages here!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:38 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Marriage survival tip 2: Each party should have access to *some* cash without having to ask their partner. Note: This should not be at the expense of paying the regular bills or screwing up the savings account....
Old Jan 27th 2009, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Quick question about bringing original documents. I have only copies of certain documents like my husband's grandparents birth certificates and tax documents, which we used for the I-864 part of the application. Is it necessary for us to bring the originals of these too?

Also, might sound silly, but what's the best way to store the documents and USCIS correspondence? Can they be hole punched and put in a binder for the interview?
Thanks for the tips, but any advice on the above?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 6:34 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

We had them in a loose leaf folder
Old Jan 27th 2009, 6:37 am

You should take all originals of anything you submitted with your applications. Also good to take a photocopy to give to the officer in case they do not have that particular item.

Any new evidence you're taking in should be a photocopy for their file, the original, and a photocopy for your file (you can leave your own shadow file copy at home).

Whatever you use to organize your stuff is fine, as long as you can quickly put your hands on the requested doc. I used a plastic envelope shaped thing that ties shut with a string, others have used accordian folders, still others have used paper bags (not kidding).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.