AOS Interview Success

Old Dec 8th 2010, 1:28 pm
I Still Remember

NAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really nice
Default AOS Interview Success

As the title suggests, I got approved for my Green Card the other day Very pleased to have final got that done!

Here is a write up of what we experienced for anyone who would like to read it:

I had my "interview" on Monday in Irving, TX. My appointment time was for 11:30am, but we got there at about 10:00am! If anyone has ever driven around Dallas, they know how crazy it can get, so we left mega early to make sure we didn't get held up.

We sat in the car for a while and then went into the building at 10:45, and through the scanners etc. My wife set off the alarms but they just said "It's fine, go through", which we thought was strange. We booked in with the appointment letter and got given a buzzer like the ones you get in restaurants and went and sat down. There was about 12 people there and it felt quite relaxed in the waiting area.

We sat there for about 15 minutes checking the things in the folder we had taken with us, and then our buzzer went off. A guy appeared and took us down a really long corridor and into his office. He had the HUGE file on his desk with all the forms we'd previously done, it even had one of the envelopes in it that we had sent a package in!

He read out my name, address, D.O.B, place of birth and my parents names from a form, each time with me confirming that was correct. He asked what date we got married, and if my parents had come over for the wedding. Then he asked whether I had worked in a labour camp, a prison or any armed forces, or if I had every advocated violence against a government or been a member of a revolutionary group.

Then he said he needed to confirm that we were happily married, and we showed him some pictures of us and places we had been. After he'd looked at those, he said that I was being approved and I would have my Green Card in the mail before Christmas.

We were sat with him for at most 10 ten minutes, I think it was more like 6 or 7. Apart from the photographs (which were actual copies of what they had already) he didn't ask for any of the papers we took with us, not even the certified wedding certificate we had taken. I didn't even open the folder of papers we had taken!

We then left and were back in the car by 11:20, ten minutes before the appointment was even scheduled.

So all in all, it took forever to get to this stage, but it was over in a blink of an eye and was very easy. The guy said we had one of the most comprehensive applications he had seen and was very impressed with it which was nice to hear.

If anyone has their interview coming up, there is really nothing to worry about at all. This was a total breeze.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS Interview Success

Originally Posted by NAR14
As the title suggests, I got approved for my Green Card the other day Very pleased to have final got that done!
Congratulations! Great news!

Ian
Old Dec 8th 2010, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats!

Sounds like the interview went really well. Hope mine is as straightforward as that when the time comes!

Just one thing though - you said he asked if your parents came over for the wedding... did they? Mine didn't, my Dad was supposed to but ended up not booking the time off work (don't ask!) - hope that won't look dodgy to them!

RG
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:33 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So all in all, it took forever to get to this stage, but it was over in a blink of an eye and was very easy. The guy said we had one of the most comprehensive applications he had seen and was very impressed with it which was nice to hear.
Congratulations, and Welcome to America!

That feedback must be very satisfying. The green card's even better.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:38 pm
I Still Remember

NAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really nice

Thanks guys

RG - My parents did come over, but he didn't ask for any proof though. I wouldn't worry about your Dad not being there in respect to this. You can say he was unable to attend due to work. I'm sure your interview will be as straightforward as mine was.

Meauxna - Yes it was great to hear him say that, he didn't have to, so we really appreciated it. I'll now be waiting in the street everyday for the postman I think!!
Old Dec 8th 2010, 8:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Then he asked whether I had worked in a labour camp, a prison or any armed forces, or if I had every advocated violence against a government or been a member of a revolutionary group.

Wonder why he would ask you that?
Old Dec 8th 2010, 8:35 pm
I Still Remember

Originally Posted by Rete
Yeah it's a strange one that. I just laughed when he asked that one.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 8:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it's a strange one that. I just laughed when he asked that one.
Question 15 on the I-485; they usually ask all those quesitons verbally as they're going through your case file/application.
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485.pdf
Old Dec 8th 2010, 10:14 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

They review the entire I-485, updating things like date of last arrival and current status as may be necessary and confirming the answers to the questions that would make one ineligible.

It's in the procedures of the AFM somewhere (haven't looked at it in a while).

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by meauxna
Question 15 on the I-485; they usually ask all those quesitons verbally as they're going through your case file/application.
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485.pdf
Old Dec 9th 2010, 1:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Excuse me, but I know that ... have been there and done that. But the form does not ask if you have worked in a labor camp or a prison. The form asks if you were or are a member of the Nazi party.

I was hoping to make the OP understand that he was paraphasing the question incorrectly and would only confuse people. And BTW laughing at the questions is a way to make them think twice of approving your petition. They are serious questions and Nazis, Communists, etc. are still alive and well in 2010.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 2:22 pm
I Still Remember

The I-485 form does ask about labour camp and prison work, and that is what he asked me, no paraphrasing involved. Anyway I laughed because the guy asking said "I can tell from looking at you that you've never worked in a labour camp" while he chuckled away. My own experience, which may not be the same as other peoples before, or anyones in the future, was that he was extremely laid back, chatty and him asking things in that manner was a way to make it a less pressured situation for me, which I appreciated.

I'm 100% sure people get it tougher than I did (presumably if their application has some serious question marks hanging over it) and are properly quizzed about being members of totalitarian groups because there are genuine concerns that they might be, but I can only describe my experience as it happened.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 2:31 pm
Concierge

Thanks, Nar14 (don't know why when I see your name I think of narcotics ;-))

I stand corrected.

Question No 15 does ask about servicing in a miliary unit / vigilantly group, etc. and part b asks if you have served in a prison or labor camp that detains people. Since this is military, and if you weren't in the military, or part of an informal military group, then the answer would be no.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 2:37 pm
I Still Remember

Thanks, Nar14 (don't know why when I see your name I think of narcotics ;-))

I stand corrected.

Question No 15 does ask about servicing in a miliary unit / vigilantly group, etc. and part b asks if you have served in a prison or labor camp that detains people. Since this is military, and if you weren't in the military, or part of an informal military group, then the answer would be no.
LOL - I hadn't thought of that, but I can see that now! They are actually my initials and 14 is my favourite number, but I think I'll see it as 'narcotics' from now on as well
Old Dec 9th 2010, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

jimandtina2008 will become famous soon enough

Here is a write up of what we experienced for anyone who would like to read it:

I had my "interview" on Monday in Irving, TX. My appointment time was for 11:30am, but we got there at about 10:00am! If anyone has ever driven around Dallas, they know how crazy it can get, so we left mega early to make sure we didn't get held up.

We sat in the car for a while and then went into the building at 10:45, and through the scanners etc. My wife set off the alarms but they just said "It's fine, go through", which we thought was strange. We booked in with the appointment letter and got given a buzzer like the ones you get in restaurants and went and sat down. There was about 12 people there and it felt quite relaxed in the waiting area.

We sat there for about 15 minutes checking the things in the folder we had taken with us, and then our buzzer went off. A guy appeared and took us down a really long corridor and into his office. He had the HUGE file on his desk with all the forms we'd previously done, it even had one of the envelopes in it that we had sent a package in!

He read out my name, address, D.O.B, place of birth and my parents names from a form, each time with me confirming that was correct. He asked what date we got married, and if my parents had come over for the wedding. Then he asked whether I had worked in a labour camp, a prison or any armed forces, or if I had every advocated violence against a government or been a member of a revolutionary group.

Then he said he needed to confirm that we were happily married, and we showed him some pictures of us and places we had been. After he'd looked at those, he said that I was being approved and I would have my Green Card in the mail before Christmas.

We were sat with him for at most 10 ten minutes, I think it was more like 6 or 7. Apart from the photographs (which were actual copies of what they had already) he didn't ask for any of the papers we took with us, not even the certified wedding certificate we had taken. I didn't even open the folder of papers we had taken!

We then left and were back in the car by 11:20, ten minutes before the appointment was even scheduled.

If anyone has their interview coming up, there is really nothing to worry about at all. This was a total breeze.
sounds pretty much like our experience in Detroit.....loads of worry and TONS of preparation then none of it asked for!!! All over in 10 mins at the most!!! Though our interviewer didn't ask to check if we were really married, he said that just listening to us and the way we talked over each other told him we were married!!!! lol
Old Dec 9th 2010, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

jimandtina2008 will become famous soon enough

Our interviewer asked a similar question - he said that is was a silly question but he was legally obliged to ask and apologised for doing so......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.