Wikiposts

AOS interview in SF

Old Apr 22nd 2002, 8:10 am
Milan Stevanovi

Default AOS interview in SF

Hi all,

After 9+ months of waiting, my husband and I had our interview today in San
Francisco. Everything was pretty much straightforward, except we weren't approved yet
because my fingerprints were not cleared. There was only 8 days between the
fingerprint date and the interview date.

The longer version: We arrived around 7:30, the appointment was for 8:10. At 8:45 we
weren't called in yet, and started to wonder why, since all the other couples, many
of them that came after us, were called in before us. At 9:00, my name was called.
The female officer took my right index fingerprint, and my signature. She mistakenly
thought that some other officer called us, and we weren't there, hence the delay, but
that was another couple. Than she swore us in. Asked for the documents, passports,
drivers licenses...Started to arrange the documents in our file. We have moved since
filing, so she made sure she had the right address and phone number. Then she said
the fp were not cleared, to my surprise, because I called the FBI liaison office and
they told me they were sent back the next day. When I told her that, (silly me,
volunteering information without being asked first), she said :"Why would you call
the liaison office?". Meaning probably how would you know who to call? I said I
wanted to find out if the prints were cleared , and I got the number on the internet.
She said she never had an applicant who new about that. She started with the series
of questions: Did I commit a crime, did I lie to an immigration officer, did I take
drugs, am I a terrosrist and a bunch of other similar questions, all to which I
replied NO. Then she asked when did we marry, did we have a reception, who attended,
do we have kids ( no but plan to), is this a first marriage for both of us (yes), she
looked at the photos from the wedding, and some others that we arranged in the
album.Asked who is this in the pictures, for our best man, where is this, etc. She
wanted to see the wedding bands. Did we go anywere together outside of California?
Before that, how did we meet ( here in CA in 98 when I was , my husband talked about
that. Then she asked to see my entry visa
(B2), asked if I was still a student (I am). Then the 2001 tax return which we just
filed, gave her the copy, she gave us back the 98. Bank statements, I also gave
her credit card statements, copies of credit cards, costco cards, auto insurance
and health insurance cards. She took everything and commended how organized we
were (we had everything in folders, with flags on the side of sheets, to be able
to find things more easily), said again that usually couples are not that
prepared. Finaly she said she is going to recommend the approval of the case, and
when the fp come bank, they will send me a letter instructing me to come and pick
up my stamp. God knows when that will be, maybe in a week, or in a month.

Thanks to everyone who helped directly and indirectly through this newsgroup, I will
post this on the website for AOS experiences.

Milena

Old May 16th 2002, 5:20 am
Carlos

Default Re: AOS interview in SF

"Milan Stevanovic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > After 9+ months of waiting, my husband and I had our interview today in San
    > Francisco. Everything was pretty much straightforward, except we weren't approved
    > yet because my fingerprints were not cleared. There was only 8 days between the
    > fingerprint date and the interview date.
    >
    > The longer version: We arrived around 7:30, the appointment was for 8:10. At 8:45
    > we weren't called in yet, and started to wonder why, since all the other couples,
    > many of them that came after us, were called in before us. At 9:00, my name was
    > called. The female officer took my right index fingerprint, and my signature. She
    > mistakenly thought that some other officer called us, and we weren't there, hence
    > the delay, but that was another couple. Than she swore us in. Asked for the
    > documents, passports, drivers licenses...Started to arrange the documents in our
    > file. We have moved since filing, so she made sure she had the right address and
    > phone number. Then she said the fp were not cleared, to my surprise, because I
    > called the FBI liaison office and they told me they were sent back the next day.
    > When I told her that, (silly me, volunteering information without being asked
    > first), she said :"Why would you call the liaison office?". Meaning probably how
    > would you know who to call? I said I wanted to find out if the prints were cleared
    > , and I got the number on the internet. She said she never had an applicant who new
    > about that. She started with the series of questions: Did I commit a crime, did I
    > lie to an immigration officer, did I take drugs, am I a terrosrist and a bunch of
    > other similar questions, all to which I replied NO. Then she asked when did we
    > marry, did we have a reception, who attended, do we have kids ( no but plan to), is
    > this a first marriage for both of us (yes), she looked at the photos from the
    > wedding, and some others that we arranged in the album.Asked who is this in the
    > pictures, for our best man, where is this, etc. She wanted to see the wedding
    > bands. Did we go anywere together outside of California? Before that, how did we
    > meet ( here in CA in 98 when I was , my husband talked about that. Then she asked
    > to see my entry visa
    > (B2), asked if I was still a student (I am). Then the 2001 tax return which we just
    > filed, gave her the copy, she gave us back the 98. Bank statements, I also gave
    > her credit card statements, copies of credit cards, costco cards, auto
    > insurance and health insurance cards. She took everything and commended how
    > organized we were (we had everything in folders, with flags on the side of
    > sheets, to be able to find things more easily), said again that usually couples
    > are not that prepared. Finaly she said she is going to recommend the approval
    > of the case, and when the fp come bank, they will send me a letter instructing
    > me to come and pick up my stamp. God knows when that will be, maybe in a week,
    > or in a month.
    >
    > Thanks to everyone who helped directly and indirectly through this newsgroup, I
    > will post this on the website for AOS experiences.

Glad to hear someone had a good AOS experience at S.F. office.

I on the other hand did not! My wife & I got to our appt. 30min. early. We saw 2
families and 2 couples called in and notices how nice the agents were. It was a sign
of relief, but unfortunetly when we got called, it was the start of an unexplainable
act of "verbal abuse" by this male agent. He called our names and he did not even
greet us. He emediatley asked (in a rude high tone of voice)Do you speak english? I
said yes and my wife (who speaks little/basics english)was instantly frightened and
intimidated and replied (softly) "yes". The agent shouted "yes or no?" I replied "she
said yes" he instantly glared at me shouted "don't you speak for her", she then
replied "YES!". Next he asked for her index finger, she extended her hand to him,
"NO!! your index finger", he shouted, "you do not know english, do you?" he shouted.
by now my wife was terrified, and confused of this mans demeanor, as if he was out to
prove something. I held my anger back because of fear of consequences that I did not
know. He then placed his index finger 3 inches away form my wifes face and shouted
"this is your index finger, look,look!!) I said to him to chill out and give her a
chance to reply. He then grabbed her wrist and demanded for her to throw away the
tissue she was holding, she placed started to place it in her purse in case she
needed it and he got insulted by it, he shouted "No!! I said throw it away,Now!!" By
this time I ready to risk it all and come to my wifes defense and slam this clown to
the ground, but I came to my senses. I told my wife to just throw it away. The people
in the waiting room had to of been in fear of getting the same agent. Finally, we
made it to his desk and raised our right hand and took the oath and replied "I DO".
He then turns to my wife and asks "Is telling the truth good or bad" We both looked
at each other puzzled by his question and she answered "YES, its good" (as in yes it
is good to tell the truth). He rolled his eyes and reach in his desk for a
re-scheduling form. He replied "I am re-scheduling you for another appointment, you
need to bring an interpreter". I replied " I called yesterday to ask if I was able to
translate when needed and the agent said it would be acceptable" he then nodded his
head and told us to go home and wait for the new notice. I stood up in anger and told
him it was not fair to treat us this way and to ask irrelavent questions for this
interview. I could not believe it!! after all the work we did to organize all our
documents and take time off of work to come then get insulted by an INS agent. Now,
we are waiting for the new appointment notice and searching for an Interpreter.

Does anyone have any experiences like this at S.F. INS? Does anyone know if we can
request a different agent, if we get the same agent again? Any suggestions are
appreciated.

Carlos

> Milena

Old May 16th 2002, 6:20 am
Andy Platt

You write a polite but formal letter to the INS district director (Charles DeMore)
and INS internal audit as described on the INS SF webpage; also cc your
representatives.

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fi....HTM#anchor170 0968

You might want to consider having or consulting an attorney about the next interview.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Carlos" <[email protected]>
wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Milan Stevanovic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > After 9+ months of waiting, my husband and I had our interview today in
San
    > > Francisco. Everything was pretty much straightforward, except we weren't approved
yet
    > > because my fingerprints were not cleared. There was only 8 days between
the
    > > fingerprint date and the interview date.
    > >
    > > The longer version: We arrived around 7:30, the appointment was for 8:10. At 8:45
    > > we weren't called in yet, and started to wonder why, since all the other couples,
many
    > > of them that came after us, were called in before us. At 9:00, my name
was
    > > called. The female officer took my right index fingerprint, and my signature. She
    > > mistakenly thought that some other officer called us, and
we
    > > weren't there, hence the delay, but that was another couple. Than she
swore
    > > us in. Asked for the documents, passports, drivers licenses...Started to arrange
    > > the documents in our file. We have moved since filing, so she
made
    > > sure she had the right address and phone number. Then she said the fp
were
    > > not cleared, to my surprise, because I called the FBI liaison office and they
    > > told me they were sent back the next day. When I told her that,
(silly
    > > me, volunteering information without being asked first), she said :"Why would you
    > > call the liaison office?". Meaning probably how would you know
who
    > > to call? I said I wanted to find out if the prints were cleared , and I
got
    > > the number on the internet. She said she never had an applicant who new about
    > > that. She started with the series of questions: Did I commit a
crime,
    > > did I lie to an immigration officer, did I take drugs, am I a terrosrist
and
    > > a bunch of other similar questions, all to which I replied NO. Then she asked
    > > when did we marry, did we have a reception, who attended, do we
have
    > > kids ( no but plan to), is this a first marriage for both of us (yes),
she
    > > looked at the photos from the wedding, and some others that we arranged
in
    > > the album.Asked who is this in the pictures, for our best man, where is this,
    > > etc. She wanted to see the wedding bands. Did we go anywere
together
    > > outside of California? Before that, how did we meet ( here in CA in 98
when
    > > I was , my husband talked about that. Then she asked to see my entry
visa
    > > (B2), asked if I was still a student (I am). Then the 2001 tax return
which
    > > we just filed, gave her the copy, she gave us back the 98. Bank
statements,
    > > I also gave her credit card statements, copies of credit cards, costco cards,
    > > auto insurance and health insurance cards. She took everything
and
    > > commended how organized we were (we had everything in folders, with
flags on
    > > the side of sheets, to be able to find things more easily), said again
that
    > > usually couples are not that prepared. Finaly she said she is going to recommend
    > > the approval of the case, and when the fp come bank, they will send me a letter
    > > instructing me to come and pick up my stamp. God knows
when
    > > that will be, maybe in a week, or in a month.
    > >
    > > Thanks to everyone who helped directly and indirectly through this newsgroup, I
    > > will post this on the website for AOS experiences.
    >
    > Glad to hear someone had a good AOS experience at S.F. office.
    >
    > I on the other hand did not! My wife & I got to our appt. 30min. early. We saw 2
    > families and 2 couples called in and notices how nice the agents were. It was a
    > sign of relief, but unfortunetly when we got called, it was the start of an
    > unexplainable act of "verbal abuse" by this male
agent.
    > He called our names and he did not even greet us. He emediatley asked (in a rude
    > high tone of voice)Do you speak english? I said yes and my wife (who speaks
    > little/basics english)was instantly frightened and intimidated and replied (softly)
    > "yes". The agent shouted "yes or no?" I replied "she said yes" he instantly glared
    > at me shouted "don't you speak for her", she then replied "YES!". Next he asked for
    > her index finger, she extended her hand to him, "NO!! your index finger", he
shouted,
    > "you do not know english, do you?" he shouted. by now my wife was
terrified,
    > and confused of this mans demeanor, as if he was out to prove something. I held my
    > anger back because of fear of consequences that I did not know. He then placed his
    > index finger 3 inches away form my wifes face and
shouted
    > "this is your index finger, look,look!!) I said to him to chill out and
give
    > her a chance to reply. He then grabbed her wrist and demanded for her to throw away
    > the tissue she was holding, she placed started to place it in her purse in case she
    > needed it and he got insulted by it, he shouted
"No!!
    > I said throw it away,Now!!" By this time I ready to risk it all and come to my
    > wifes defense and slam this clown to the ground, but I came to my senses. I told my
    > wife to just throw it away. The people in the waiting room had to of been in fear
    > of getting the same agent. Finally, we made it to his desk and raised our right
    > hand and took the
oath
    > and replied "I DO". He then turns to my wife and asks "Is telling the
truth
    > good or bad" We both looked at each other puzzled by his question and she answered
    > "YES, its good" (as in yes it is good to tell the truth). He
rolled
    > his eyes and reach in his desk for a re-scheduling form. He replied "I am
    > re-scheduling you for another appointment, you need to bring an
interpreter".
    > I replied " I called yesterday to ask if I was able to translate when
needed
    > and the agent said it would be acceptable" he then nodded his head and told us to
    > go home and wait for the new notice. I stood up in anger and told him it was not
    > fair to treat us this way and to ask irrelavent
questions
    > for this interview. I could not believe it!! after all the work we did to organize
    > all our documents and take time off of work to come then get
insulted
    > by an INS agent. Now, we are waiting for the new appointment notice and searching
    > for an Interpreter.
    >
    > Does anyone have any experiences like this at S.F. INS? Does anyone know if we can
    > request a different agent, if we get the same agent again? Any suggestions are
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Carlos
    >
    >
    >
    > > Milena

Old May 16th 2002, 6:56 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Actually you would be better going to the INS website and d/l the formal complaint form and mailing it to the Audit Unit in Washington, DC. It will help immensely if you had the name of the examiner. They will ask for a physical description as well. Also detail your experience to the letter. You will get results. Not immediately but eventually.

Also copy this form and any attachments and send them to the District Director of INS and to the Supervisor of the Section 245 Unit in SF.