Wikiposts

AOS interview SF

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS interview SF

Preamble: The story

We dated for about three years before deciding to get married, and we were lucky enough to be both in the US during all that time. After getting married, we filed out the AOS paperwork, and it took about 21 months until we got our final interview. It took so long because we had to change local office after 6 months after moving out, the transfer was botched the first time (went to the wrong office) but finally made it to the correct office after 5 months, and then we were at the end of the line in the new office.

Step 1a: The gathering

When filing the AOS paperwork, we realized that we would have to go through an AOS interview with evidences to prove the bona fide of our marriage. So, we started a first pre-gathering right then to set aside what we had from the three years of dating. We came up with letters, postcards, photos of us, a bunch of boarding passes, and leases.

Using other people's experiences, we made ourselves a list of what we would have to bring and I would add stuff to that list when I read something I found interesting on the newsgroup.

During the next 21 months, when we got something that was on the list, we would put it aside with the rest of our already gathered evidences (i.e. pictures, letters, cards, extra copies of our taxes, etc). That took little effort, and was very useful when we had to put everything together.

Step 1b: More gathering

When we received the interview letter, we had several boxes full of potential candidates for the INS but there were also documents that were missing, like the letters of employment or items on our list that didn't make sense to gather beforehand because they were "dated", like canceled checks. So, we had a lot of trimming to do in what we had already collected and we had to gather more things.

We did the trimming doing successive passes until we had only a diverse/representative sample of what was in our boxes.

Step 2 : The organizing

We decided to go with binders because we thought that it would be the easiest and most efficient way to do it. We got a 3-ring 1 inch binder (with rings on the back side of the folder, not in the "middle") and a 3-ring (also about 1 inch) photo album where you could put pictures in sleeves either vertically or horizontally. We also got plastic sleeves, oversized photo plastic sleeves (we had big pictures), binder clips, and color tabs.

In the 1 inch binder, we put only the items required in our interview letter, except for the pictures, in the order they were asked for. Everything was in plastic sleeves. We put a binder clip to hold important and small documents in the letter-sized plastic sleeves such as the EAD. We made sure that we did not overfill the binder and that it was comfortable to flip the pages.

In the photo album binder, we put the boarding passes, the photos, the letters and the postcards. The boarding passes were stapled on a sheet of paper, one for each trip we had taken with a caption explaining what the trip was. Each sheet had 2 columns, one with my boarding passes and another one for my husband's. So that the staples would not get caught and be annoying when flipping the pages, we put everything in plastic sleeves. The pictures were in the pages from the photo album, and we had the oversized ones in the oversized sleeves. The postcards were in the oversized plastic sleeves for the photos (worked like a charm!), and bigger letters were in the letter-sized plastic sleeves. Anything that was not fitting in our little system was making our trimming task easier! There again, we made sure that the binder was not too full, and that pages could be flipped nicely.

We also had a thicker "backup" binder with evidences that were not asked but had been mentioned in the newsgroup and could come handy. We were not planning on having that folder out at all during the interview, but it made us feel better to have its content with us during our interview.

Step 3 : The getting ready for the interview

The first part was to get all the copies done. As recommended by the regulars of the newsgroup, we hit the button "3" on the copy machine and got 3 identical sets of our evidences [1 for the interviewer, 1 for our records, and 1 for lifting the conditions]. We also made 1 copy of our backup evidences in case we were asked for some thing in there. That took a while, and at the end, we had used about a ream of papers. Back, at home, we hole-punched the interviewer set, made the same tabs on the bottoms using post-its that we had in our 2 folders and hold everything with a big binder clip. In case we would be asked for only one section of our copies at a time, we put paper clips to differentiate the different sections (I was afraid of the scenario where all our copies land flying out of order on the floor during the interview). Then, we made a nice checklist to give a brief overview of what was in that stack and that was more detailed than the tabs, for example, we had a tab saying leases, but the checklist detailed the years.

Last edited by Caro; Jul 23rd 2003 at 8:14 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Default Part II...

Step 4 : The interview

We got up very early, even though the interview was only in the late morning. It is not like we were really sleeping well that night anyway... We arrived in San Francisco a bit before 8:00am. We walked a little bit, and then decided to sit down in a cafe and have a hot chocolate. That proved very useful as it was just a nice relaxed/worry-less atmosphere, and when we came out after about 1 hour, I could not understand why I had that knot in my stomach when I got up. After all, it was just an AOS interview, and there was no need to feel more nervous than when I defended my thesis, as I was in the early morning! We walked some more, slowly heading towards the INS building, but decided that it was too early to get there and we really didn't feel like waiting too long in the INS waiting room. We had done that too many times... So, we took a side street, and made a little detour.

We arrived in front of the INS building a little less than 45 minutes before our scheduled interview. The letter asked us to be there 30 minutes beforehand, so we figured we would give ourselves a 15 minutes buffer. There was nobody in line, and we arrived in the waiting room between 35 and 40 minutes before our scheduled time. We put our letter in the tray, and took a seat. There were very few people in the room, and overall it was a pretty peaceful and "clean/neat" room, not like room 100 or 200 where it is always very crowded and it just looks "messy/hectic".

We were called after somedody else's name after about 5-10 minutes. Apparently, the first person called had not shown up yet. As soon as I saw our interviewer, I knew that it was not going to be a nightmare interview, and it made me totally at ease. She took my index fingerprint for the card first, and asked me to sign. Before we sat, she read the oath, and we got to say "I do" one more time She asked us first for our driver's licenses and then for our passports. She took the I-94 out and put it on the table. Then, she proceeded to review the I-485. She asked us a couple of questions as she was going (i.e., when is her birthday when she got to my birthdate), and it was very conversational, one question leading to another. She took notes whenever one question did not already have the answer in our file (i.e. did you meet her parents). In there, she asked me for my advance parole documents. She asked of course the questions of the I-485 about deportation, criminal activities, prostitution and the like. Then, she asked for our letters of employment and our 2002 taxes. She put them in the file. She asked us what joint documents we had. We gave her the set we had made for her, keeping the originals on our laps. She asked us if we had had a lawyer prepare it for us, and when we said no, she told us that she wished all lawyers would do such a good job. As already reported a lot on the newsgroups, she said that it made her life much easier. She told us that apparently more and more people are using binder and that her worst nightmare were people who come with boxes and have to dig through to get the things she asks for. She looked at the brief summary of what we had, looked at some of the documents inside, and then looked at the copies of the photos. I offered the photo album with the real color pictures, but she said the (b&w) copies were good. She chatted with us while she looked at the pictures because some of them made her laugh. Then, when she wanted to place the big stack in the folder, she took the binder clip off, and, when she realized that it was already punched for her, she asked us if we wanted to become lawyers Somewhere in there, she asked me for my EAD. Then, she said that everything was good, and that she was going to approve us, but that she had to do a check on the computer first before stamping my passport. The computer was down, but she told us that she thought that she could bring it back on to do the check, it might just take time. We were definitely in no hurry!!! While the computer was doing its stuff, she completed our approval notice, and asked us to read it (because it explained about the 2-year conditional status) telling us that she might have to pull it back (that is, if she could not complete the computer check). She told us how important it (lifting conditions after 2 years) was and that we would not get any reminders. The computer was then apparently ready to be used and she was able to complete the check. She stamped my passport, and that brought a huge smile on both of our faces!!!!!

The interviewer was very professional and nice, and she made us feel at ease. The questions she asked us were questions you would be asked if you were to meet with a friend who asked you how you met and what your wedding was like, it was conversational and it didn't feel like a questioning.

It was definitely one of our nicest experience with the INS/BCIS.

Step 5: The party!

Well, we didn't get a chance to do that yet as we both came home around 8:00-9:00pm yesterday, but it will be a mega one!!! The theme will be "green"...

Last edited by Caro; Jul 23rd 2003 at 8:16 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

esandstr is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations to you both, Caro!! Have a wonderful party!!

Eiolf
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

in brief, YAY! congrads!
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 11:37 am
Shonokin

Default Re: AOS interview SF

Woohoo! Congratulations guys!
BTW: Melanie got her greencard yesterday... so that made for a 2 week
delivery. Actually she got the notice that she would be receiving the
greencard in the near future AND also the welcome package with the
greencard the same day. The were going so fast they were almost ahead
of themselves. Geeeee!
Good luck with getting yours soon.

Caro wrote:
    > Step 4 : The interview
    >
    >
    >
    > We got up very early, even though the interview was only in the late
    > morning. It is not like we were really sleeping well that night
    > anyway... We arrived in San Francisco a bit before 8:00am. We walked a
    > little bit, and then decided to sit down in a cafe and have a hot
    > chocolate. That proved very useful as it was just a nice relaxed/worry-
    > less atmosphere, and when we came out after about 1 hour, I could not
    > understand why I had that knot in my stomach when I got up. After all,
    > it was just an AOS interview, and there was no need to feel more nervous
    > than when I defended my thesis, as I was in the early morning! We walked
    > some more, slowly heading towards the INS building, but decided that it
    > was too early to get there and we really didn't feel like waiting too
    > long in the INS waiting room. We had done that too many times... So, we
    > took a side street, and made a little detour.
    >
    >
    >
    > We arrived in front of the INS building a little less than 45 minutes
    > before our scheduled interview. The letter asked us to be there 30
    > minutes beforehand, so we figured we would give ourselves a 15 minutes
    > buffer. There was nobody in line, and we arrived in the waiting room
    > between 35 and 40 minutes before our scheduled time. We put our letter
    > in the tray, and took a seat. There were very few people in the room,
    > and overall it was a pretty peaceful and "clean/neat" room, not like
    > room 100 or 200 where it is always very crowded and it just looks
    > "messy/hectic".
    >
    >
    >
    > We were called after somedody else's name after about 5-10 minutes.
    > Apparently, the first person called had not shown up yet. As soon as I
    > saw our interviewer, I knew that it was not going to be a nightmare
    > interview, and it made me totally at ease. She took my index fingerprint
    > for the card first, and asked me to sign. Before we sat, she read the
    > oath, and we got to say "I do" one more time She asked us first for
    > our driver's licenses and then for our passports. She took the I-94 out
    > and put it on the table. Then, she proceeded to review the I-485. She
    > asked us a couple of questions as she was going (i.e., when is her
    > birthday when she got to my birthdate), and it was very conversational,
    > one question leading to another. She took notes whenever one question
    > did not already have the answer in our file (i.e. did you meet her
    > parents). In there, she asked me for my advance parole documents. She
    > asked of course the questions of the I-485 about deportation, criminal
    > activities, prostitution and the like. Then, she asked for our letters
    > of employment and our 2002 taxes. She put them in the file. She asked us
    > what joint documents we had. We gave her the set we had made for her,
    > keeping the originals on our laps. She asked us if we had had a lawyer
    > prepare it for us, and when we said no, she told us that she wished all
    > lawyers would do such a good job. As already reported a lot on the
    > newsgroups, she said that it made her life much easier. She told us that
    > apparently more and more people are using binder and that her worst
    > nightmare were people who come with boxes and have to dig through to get
    > the things she asks for. She looked at the brief summary of what we had,
    > looked at some of the documents inside, and then looked at the copies of
    > the photos. I offered the photo album with the real color pictures, but
    > she said the (b&w) copies were good. She chatted with us while she
    > looked at the pictures because some of them made her laugh. Then, when
    > she wanted to place the big stack in the folder, she took the binder
    > clip off, and, when she realized that it was already punched for her,
    > she asked us if we wanted to become lawyers Somewhere in there, she
    > asked me for my EAD. Then, she said that everything was good, and that
    > she was going to approve us, but that she had to do a check on the
    > computer first before stamping my passport. The computer was down, but
    > she told us that she thought that she could bring it back on to do the
    > check, it might just take time. We were definitely in no hurry!!! While
    > the computer was doing its stuff, she completed our approval notice, and
    > asked us to read it (because it explained about the 2-year conditional
    > status) telling us that she might have to pull it back (that is, if she
    > could not complete the computer check). She told us how important it
    > (lifting conditions after 2 years) was and that we would not get any
    > reminders. The computer was then apparently ready to be used and she was
    > able to complete the check. She stamped my passport, and that brought a
    > huge smile on both of our faces!!!!!
    >
    >
    >
    > The interviewer was very professional and nice, and she made us feel at
    > ease. The questions she asked us were questions you would be asked if
    > you were to meet with a friend who asked you how you met and what your
    > wedding was like, it was conversational and it didn't feel like a
    > questioning.
    >
    >
    >
    > It was definitely one of our nicest experience with the INS/BCIS.
    >
    >
    >
    > Step 5: The party!
    >
    >
    >
    > Well, we didn't get a chance to do that yet as we both came home around
    > 8:00-9:00pm yesterday, but it will be a mega one!!! The theme will be
    > "green"...
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

bao-long is an unknown quantity at this point

Toutes mes felicitations!!!

and please come visit us on the newsgroup once in a while.

Bao-Long
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point

having followed your progress, I am so happy for you! Well done for keeping patience and being so organized!
Old Jul 24th 2003, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

rzack is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats! Its so wonderful to have someone to tell the journey of theirs

Okay, it might be silly question, where did you hole-punch the papers? On top or at the side? Well, the problem I am so used to hole punch at left side since at my country thats the style. I only noticed that US using lots of TOP hole-punch.

Thanks and one again CONGRATS!

p/s Hows the party? I noticed you like GREEN frog too
Old Jul 24th 2003, 3:25 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing your story Caroline I hope our AOS interview will go as nicely as yours...congrats again! I will definitely read over your story again while preparing for our interview

Juliet
Old Jul 24th 2003, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Default PS

Rete,

Our interview experience has been sent to Kamya for the future generations...

Caroline
Old Jul 24th 2003, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Okay, it might be silly question, where did you hole-punch the papers? On top or at the side?
The INS lives in a vertical world: holes are punched on the top (2 holes) and tabs are on the bottom.

p/s Hows the party? I noticed you like GREEN frog too
It feels great to be back to a carefree individual! The big party will be probably in 2 weeks' time to give people some notice, and to give us time to practice making green food with no coloring We hope that our guests like spinach, salad, pesto, mint and pistachio ice-cream... At least, it will be a healthy party!

Caroline
Old Aug 11th 2003, 2:17 pm
Foster801

Default Re: AOS interview SF

Hi Caro
Can you please tell me how long did it take to get your Interview
letter from BCIS San francisco after you got your EAD/AP? What was the
interview date?

My wife got her EAD/AP on July 10, 2003 (I-485 Reciept date is
6-28-03)
She applied as spouse of US citizen.

When can I expect the interview letter?

Caro <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Step 4 : The interview
    >
    >
    >
    > We got up very early, even though the interview was only in the late
    > morning. It is not like we were really sleeping well that night
    > anyway... We arrived in San Francisco a bit before 8:00am. We walked a
    > little bit, and then decided to sit down in a cafe and have a hot
    > chocolate. That proved very useful as it was just a nice relaxed/worry-
    > less atmosphere, and when we came out after about 1 hour, I could not
    > understand why I had that knot in my stomach when I got up. After all,
    > it was just an AOS interview, and there was no need to feel more nervous
    > than when I defended my thesis, as I was in the early morning! We walked
    > some more, slowly heading towards the INS building, but decided that it
    > was too early to get there and we really didn't feel like waiting too
    > long in the INS waiting room. We had done that too many times... So, we
    > took a side street, and made a little detour.