Reload this Page >

AOS interview next month

AOS interview next month

Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

AP77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS interview next month

Hi all,

I received a letter today to say that my "initial" AOS interview has been scheduled for next month. I was quite surprised to receive this since, according to the USCIS website, the Washington DC office is currently processing applications from Jan 07 (we filed I-485 and I-130 concurrently in Jul 07).

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect in the interview? Are the I-130 and I-485 usually approved at the same time? We haven't heard anything on the I-130 since it was filed. And how long after the interview should I expect to receive the green card (if approved)?

Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 5th 2008, 3:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS interview next month

Hi AP,

Congratulations! It's common for AOS to happen faster than the predicted timelines. Yes, the I-130 and I-485 will be adjudicated together.

As for what to expect at the interview, most offices interview you together at the same time as a couple, but some office separate you and ask questions individually. If this happens to you, don't be worried, it seems to be normal procedure for certain offices. Your interview might be video taped. The officer will ask questions to determine the validity of your marriage and immigration. She will ask all the yes/no questions from the I-485 (i.e., are you a terrorist, have you smuggled, etc).

If you are approved, she will collect your EAD and AP, and you can expect your GC to come in the mail within a few weeks. You can ask to have your passport stamped with the I-551 approval stamp, but be prepared if they say no, some offices will do this, some won't.

If you are NOT approved, due to missing information, the officer will tell you what she needs and give you some time to send it back. Or, if you are not approved because your security checks are not completed yet, you will be told to wait until they clear before being approved. In both of these cases, it's anyone's guess as to how long it will take to get approved afterwards.

I keep saying "she" for the officer because ours was female. LOL

Good luck!
Rene
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

AP77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much for your reply. This is really helpful
Old Apr 7th 2008, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

LadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, the I-130 and I-485 will be adjudicated together.
Hi AP
Keep in mind that not every time I-130 an I-485 are adjudicated at the same time. My I-130 was approved in Oct 07 where my I-485 was approved Jan 08. Most the time they are but not always.

Your interview will be conducted within the USCIS guidelines but every case is treated invidually so not one is the same. Just remember that your case isnt going to be same as the next. Aslong as everything is in order an your not stuck in background check you should be approved that day. I hope it goes well for you.

Good luck