Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS interview, Newark NJ - My Experience

AOS interview, Newark NJ - My Experience

Old May 20th 2009, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

BigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really nice
Default AOS interview, Newark NJ - My Experience

I just got back from my interview in Newark.....hope the info below helps:

Location - Ok, its in newark and Newark is a bit rough, but where the Federal building is - dont worry, safe, cops, plenty of parking.

Our appointment was 11am. We arrived at 10.45am. Went up to the 13th floor, checked in. They asked us if we had an attorney (we didnt but it didnt make a difference as the couple arriving after us with one didnt get in quicker).

There were about 20 people in the room.....only 25% full.

At 11.50 we were called.

The guy apologized for their lateness. Sat us down and said "Look, you guys have bought a house together. You are getting approved." Quite literally thats how it happened.

He asked for my passport and my wifes driving license and took my white slip.

At this point my wife, in all her wisdom said "Do you get a lot of mail order brides through here?" (despite my say nothing unless asked a question pep talk)...he laughed his ass off and said "yeah all the time, its not illegal".

He then asked me if we wanted to give him supporting documents like tax returns or photographs as it was good to have on file. I gave him our originals to look at and he went away to copy them (even though I had copies, he sort of just got up and did it).

He shook out hand, told me the card would be at my home in 10 days and we left at 12.03

13 Minutes.

EDIT: One interesting thing he did tell us...when he was looking at my passport I asked if he wanted to see my H1B paperwork and he said "to be honest, it makes no difference if its in status or not....it could have expired 5 years ago and as long as you haven't left the USA, the fact that you have married a US citizen means we don't care!"

Last edited by BigBarry; May 20th 2009 at 6:49 pm.
Old May 20th 2009, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

adjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS interview, Newark NJ - My Experience

Congrats
Old May 20th 2009, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

BigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really nice

Thanks!

I was bricking it going in, thats for sure.

I actually forgot that the guy asked me the are you a terrorist questions after making me hold up my hand
Old May 20th 2009, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

adjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond repute

My AOS 3 years ago was a breeze too maybe 5 min the max lol
Old May 22nd 2009, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Made my heart warm up, reading this. Hope mine goes similarly.
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:52 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
Made my heart warm up, reading this. Hope mine goes similarly.
Please be aware that there is a big difference in your case and BigBarry's case. BigBarry adjusted status from an H1B, while you are adjusting from the VWP. That could make a difference in the way the AOS interview pans out.

Of course, I do hope yours goes as smoothly, don't get me wrong!

Rene
Old May 22nd 2009, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigBarry
Sat us down and said "Look, you guys have bought a house together. You are getting approved." Quite literally thats how it happened.
Awesome. That's hilarious. Thanks for sharing.

And a hearty congratulations.

I was H1B to GC through marriage too, in 2005/2006. Don't forget to put the I-751 application date in your calendar. (Google calendar is good for this if you use it, or outlook, or iCal. If you are paper-based then write it in for Dec 31st so that you remember to transfer it to next year's calendar, and so on.)
Old May 22nd 2009, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by notacrime
Awesome. That's hilarious. Thanks for sharing.

And a hearty congratulations.

I was H1B to GC through marriage too, in 2005/2006. Don't forget to put the I-751 application date in your calendar. (Google calendar is good for this if you use it, or outlook, or iCal. If you are paper-based then write it in for Dec 31st so that you remember to transfer it to next year's calendar, and so on.)
Thank you for that reminder. Funny, the interviewer said the same and gave me a flyer with how to get and submit that.

Couldn't have asked for a nicer guy to be honest.

Seems like the buying the house thing made it a shoe-in.

It's funny though because I have always been in status, did everything right, had a multitude of evidence with me, but I was still shaking more than a dog taking its morning crap!
Old May 22nd 2009, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for that reminder. Funny, the interviewer said the same and gave me a flyer with how to get and submit that.

Couldn't have asked for a nicer guy to be honest.

Seems like the buying the house thing made it a shoe-in.

It's funny though because I have always been in status, did everything right, had a multitude of evidence with me, but I was still shaking more than a dog taking its morning crap!
Yup, it's a nerve-wracking experience, even when you have everything in order. The officer that interviewed us just took one look at us and knew we were legit. He asked 3 questions in total - where did you get married, how many people were at your wedding and were your parents there (if I recall correctly.)

Looking around the waiting room there were some couples that would have made me raise my eyebrows had I been on the other side of the desk, for example the 90lb Latino guy with the 300lb African American woman who was gingerly licking his ear right across from us.
Old May 22nd 2009, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by notacrime
for example the 90lb Latino guy with the 300lb African American woman who was gingerly licking his ear right across from us.
Fantastic...coffee....down my nose!

Old May 23rd 2009, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Anna_Lind is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi BigBarry! I saw that you posted in our J1 Timeline Status thread. I am glad that you posted about your interview, so that we have an idea of what to expect. It seems like we have about 2 - 3 months until our AOS interview (we received the EAD this week in the mail).

Thanks for sharing your interview experience. Congratulations!

-Anna
Old May 23rd 2009, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anna_Lind
Hi BigBarry! I saw that you posted in our J1 Timeline Status thread. I am glad that you posted about your interview, so that we have an idea of what to expect. It seems like we have about 2 - 3 months until our AOS interview (we received the EAD this week in the mail).

Thanks for sharing your interview experience. Congratulations!

-Anna
Remember that different people's milages vary

Good luck!

Last edited by Ozzidoc; May 23rd 2009 at 4:32 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Just got the Green card (perm resident card or whatever it is called) in the mail this AM!

Whoooho!
Old Jun 26th 2009, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Just got the Green card (perm resident card or whatever it is called) in the mail this AM!
Congratulations!

Ian
Old Jun 27th 2009, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!