AOS interview experience - Garden City

Wikiposts

AOS interview experience - Garden City

Old Jun 1st 2005, 3:29 am
Just Joined

ambrosia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS interview experience - Garden City

Hello
So I finally had my AOS interview yesterday. It took in total one hour from getting out of the car to getting back in. Most of that was waiting.
The interview was very quick and, after reading all the posts here, there were no surprises.
I didn't need the new passport photos though.
I sure as hell did need the affidavit of support - thanks Rene.
We didn't have many wedding photos - we had a city hall ceremony and are planning a big wedding abroad next year - that wasn't a problem. But we had a lot of photos of us together throughout the past few years so that helped.
He asked us how we met - etc
Did ask for copies of Tax returns - copies of joint accounts /insurance etc
Didn't ask for birth certificates
Didn't ask for utility bills etc
Then he said that they needed to security check but I should receive my GC in a few weeks - then he handwrote something in my passport which could be a medical prescription for all I know - and that was it -
I was hoping that he'd stamp my passport - that there would be some finality or closure or a big handshake and check for $10,000 but no -- just a quiet exit and that was it.
As I was leaving I could hear someone yelling about the fact that their fingerprints were out of date and they weren't told to get new ones and everything was unfair -- I shuffled past quietly

And so the waiting resumes.

But finally:
We didn't go with our lawyer - he has disappeared off the face of the planet -- after giving some terrible advice {ie advising that it was ok to travel abroad when I was a overstay vwp} -- charging us to fill out forms but then filing them without my signature or completing the forms etc -- He's moved and didn't think to tell either me or USCIS - the NOA they had returned to them recently was addressed to him. I know not all lawyers are the same - some are good some are bad, some are very generous and write on forums such as this one - But I do feel the need to warn others about using this particular one {he aint cheap either} -- what steps should I take?

Thanks

The I-485 was received on 19 May 2003
I just efiled for an EAD renewal - no chance of seeing that $175 I guess
Old Jun 1st 2005, 3:44 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS interview experience - Garden City

Congratulations, Ambrosia!

You didn't get the stamp yet because the security check isn't complete, and you weren't really "approved" yet. You're approved pending security check completion. When that's finished, they'll approve you and send out your GC.

As for your lawyer, go to www.google.com and see if you can find out how to lodge a complaint to your State Bar Association. Definitely put in the complaint so it will be on a record somewhere that his service wasn't satisfactory.

And nope, you're out that $175 for the EAD renewal...but better had been safe than sorry!

Best Wishes!
Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jun 1st 2005 at 3:47 am.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

ligc is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ambrosia
Hello
So I finally had my AOS interview yesterday. It took in total one hour from getting out of the car to getting back in. Most of that was waiting.
The interview was very quick and, after reading all the posts here, there were no surprises.
I didn't need the new passport photos though.
I sure as hell did need the affidavit of support - thanks Rene.
We didn't have many wedding photos - we had a city hall ceremony and are planning a big wedding abroad next year - that wasn't a problem. But we had a lot of photos of us together throughout the past few years so that helped.
He asked us how we met - etc
Did ask for copies of Tax returns - copies of joint accounts /insurance etc
Didn't ask for birth certificates
Didn't ask for utility bills etc
Then he said that they needed to security check but I should receive my GC in a few weeks - then he handwrote something in my passport which could be a medical prescription for all I know - and that was it -
I was hoping that he'd stamp my passport - that there would be some finality or closure or a big handshake and check for $10,000 but no -- just a quiet exit and that was it.
As I was leaving I could hear someone yelling about the fact that their fingerprints were out of date and they weren't told to get new ones and everything was unfair -- I shuffled past quietly

And so the waiting resumes.

But finally:
We didn't go with our lawyer - he has disappeared off the face of the planet -- after giving some terrible advice {ie advising that it was ok to travel abroad when I was a overstay vwp} -- charging us to fill out forms but then filing them without my signature or completing the forms etc -- He's moved and didn't think to tell either me or USCIS - the NOA they had returned to them recently was addressed to him. I know not all lawyers are the same - some are good some are bad, some are very generous and write on forums such as this one - But I do feel the need to warn others about using this particular one {he aint cheap either} -- what steps should I take?

Thanks

The I-485 was received on 19 May 2003
I just efiled for an EAD renewal - no chance of seeing that $175 I guess
Congrats Ambrosia,

I had interview in Garden City in Jan 2005. Same thing I was informed that they need to finish the security checks. I received a welcome letter in 2 weeks and a permanent card in 3 weeks. Take it easy and relax, you will receive it in no time. Garden City is very good compared to 26 federal plaza.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Follow Up:

I just got an email from USCIS saying that my 3rd EAD had been approved and that I would be getting my new card soon. I don't think I'll be needing it.

I guess it shows that efiling of EAD renewals has accelerated - I filed 6 weeks ago, 10 days after that I received an NOA for our AOS interview.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 12:57 pm
consumer62000

ligc:
Can you tell me how does your GC look like. Mine has black and white
photo
ligc wrote:
    > > Hello
    > > So I finally had my AOS interview yesterday. It took in total one hour
    > > from getting out of the car to getting back in. Most of that was
    > > waiting.
    > > The interview was very quick and, after reading all the posts here,
    > > there were no surprises.
    > > I didn't need the new passport photos though.
    > > I sure as hell did need the affidavit of support - thanks Rene.
    > > We didn't have many wedding photos - we had a city hall ceremony and
    > > are planning a big wedding abroad next year - that wasn't a problem.
    > > But we had a lot of photos of us together throughout the past few
    > > years so that helped.
    > > He asked us how we met - etc
    > > Did ask for copies of Tax returns - copies of joint accounts
    > > /insurance etc
    > > Didn't ask for birth certificates
    > > Didn't ask for utility bills etc
    > > Then he said that they needed to security check but I should receive
    > > my GC in a few weeks - then he handwrote something in my passport
    > > which could be a medical prescription for all I know - and that was it
    > > -
    > > I was hoping that he'd stamp my passport - that there would be some
    > > finality or closure or a big handshake and check for $10,000 but no --
    > > just a quiet exit and that was it.
    > > As I was leaving I could hear someone yelling about the fact that
    > > their fingerprints were out of date and they weren't told to get new
    > > ones and everything was unfair -- I shuffled past quietly
    > >
    > > And so the waiting resumes.
    > >
    > > But finally:
    > > We didn't go with our lawyer - he has disappeared off the face of the
    > > planet -- after giving some terrible advice {ie advising that it was
    > > ok to travel abroad when I was a overstay vwp} -- charging us to fill
    > > out forms but then filing them without my signature or completing the
    > > forms etc -- He's moved and didn't think to tell either me or USCIS -
    > > the NOA they had returned to them recently was addressed to him. I
    > > know not all lawyers are the same - some are good some are bad, some
    > > are very generous and write on forums such as this one - But I do feel
    > > the need to warn others about using this particular one {he aint cheap
    > > either} -- what steps should I take?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > The I-485 was received on 19 May 2003
    > > I just efiled for an EAD renewal - no chance of seeing that
    > > $175 I guess
    > Congrats Ambrosia,
    > I had interview in Garden City in Jan 2005. Same thing I was informed
    > that they need to finish the security checks. I received a welcome
    > letter in 2 weeks and a permanent card in 3 weeks. Take it easy and
    > relax, you will receive it in no time. Garden City is very good compared
    > to 26 federal plaza.
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 2:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by consumer62000
ligc:
photo
Hi consumer,

ambrosia hasn't received the GC yet. The case was still waiting for security checks to be completed.

I'm afraid ambrosia won't be able to help you.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jun 5th 2005, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by consumer62000
ligc:
photo
ligc wrote:

I just looked at my greencard finally as well... its black and white too (well I think so, I was wearing a black shirt and have black hair... so theres not much to be colorful), or else very unvibrant colors. So basically, calm down. ITS NOT FAKE
Old Jun 5th 2005, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by andrea874
I just looked at my greencard finally as well... its black and white too (well I think so, I was wearing a black shirt and have black hair... so theres not much to be colorful), or else very unvibrant colors. So basically, calm down. ITS NOT FAKE
Hi andrea,

consumer has admitted he knows his card isn't fake. He seems to just be taking a survey out of curiosity (I guess you could say that).

Rene
Old Jun 5th 2005, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh thats what I get for not paying attention. It just seems that every time I come to this board for the past month or so, all I see is "OMG ITS BLACK AND WHITE!!!" hehe
Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:46 am
Are we there yet??

aussie_rachel is on a distinguished road

By "security checks", do they mean fingerprints?
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:48 am
Just Joined

UPDATE

Yesterday I got an email from USCIS saying that the application had been approved and a new card would be sent as soon as it is ready etc. ra-ra-ra. I'm thinking that I should receive it next week sometime -- from experiences posted on this forum.

I'm now going to start planning a trip to see my family --- I overstayed my vw by a couple of years then got married --- it's been over 4.5 years since I saw friends and some family members -- so just a note to people who are considering the overstay route -- it can be done -- but I wouldn't recommend it. Neither would my partner. They've been banging on about a proper honeymoon for soo long. Anyway ra-ra-ra.