AOS Interview experience, Charleston, SC

Wikiposts

AOS Interview experience, Charleston, SC

Old May 25th 2004, 11:44 am
Just Joined

mikeandtre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS Interview experience, Charleston, SC

Hi,

We just got back from our AOS interview from Charleston, SC - completely disappointed and confused. We waited 2.5 years for this interview and it was a complete shambles to say the least.

Our interviewer shuffled through our paperwork as if completely on another planet, kept asking us "Who is Mike <my surname>?" - to which I had to reply, "er, me.. I'm sitting right here, remember?"

She didn't even take half the things that were listed in the Interview letter, bank letter, employment details etc. I still have them in the folder here.

We brought everything that was listed on the AOS Interview letter, yet apparently this was not enough. I entered the states on a K1 visa, (from the UK, my wife is USC) and during the K1 process I had to have vaccinations in order to get my K1 at the London Embassy. Apparently, the INS doesn't have my vaccinations history therefore I cannot be approved. The Embassy in London did NOT give me any documentation on what vaccinations were done when I was there. Coupled with the fact my K1 interview was over 3 yrs ago now, I find it hard to remember exactly what was said..

I was told to go and get my vaccinations redone and mail that to the Charleston office, and wait. The interviewer scribbled "Pending AOS" and my alien number in my passport.

It's almost as if once the interviewer discovered she could not find the medical info from my K1 interview, that everything else we had was completely nullified. She did not want to look at the employment or financial information we had, nor the letters from friends, 5 years worth of photos, and after all of this she stated she needed "more information" that we were a married couple. I tried to explain that all the information proving we were a married couple was sitting right in my hands, yet she was not interested, and kept on about the missing vaccination file.

I have no idea what's going on, both my wife and I are completely exhausted after 6 hours of driving for nothing, and waiting 2.5 years for this.

At almost pushing the 3 year mark for processing I find the whole ordeal completely ridiculous. My wife and I have been together 6 years, married 2.5, and both work and own businesses. Being born and raised in London, I'd say my English is above par also, I don't see what the problem is.

What's also confusing is that I was fingerprinted again and had to sign the forms for my Green card(!?) before we left.

I guess the next step is to get the vaccinations (she provided me with a list of medical centers that are INS approved - again, 3 hours drive from my home) and mail them off and wait.. and wait and wait yet again.

Meantime, I can barely remember what my parents or family look like - I haven't seen any of them since 2001. I am (and all this time, have been) afraid to get advance parole and go home to visit them incase it delays my case any further.

Funny how when I type the word "delay" I get a very depressing feeling, I'm not quite sure "delay" is sufficient enough a term for this whole deal.

Thank you for letting me vent, good luck with your INS experiences, I hope they fair better than ours!
Old May 25th 2004, 12:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS Interview experience, Charleston, SC

Originally posted by mikeandtre
Meantime, I can barely remember what my parents or family look like - I haven't seen any of them since 2001. I am (and all this time, have been) afraid to get advance parole and go home to visit them incase it delays my case any further.

Funny how when I type the word "delay" I get a very depressing feeling, I'm not quite sure "delay" is sufficient enough a term for this whole deal.

Thank you for letting me vent, good luck with your INS experiences, I hope they fair better than ours!

Mike

Terribly sorry to learn of your ordeal. There is absolutely no reason not to have applied for and used A/P during the last 2.5 years. It would not have delayed your case or caused a problem unless you were in overstay (which I'm assuming you weren't if you were K-1 and married within the 90 days and filed asap afterwards).

It has been a requirement for over a year now that one must have a supplemental I-693 (vaccination report) for the AOS interview, especially if your medical is over a year old and in some districts even if it is less than a year. I'm sorry you didn't check here first.

The fingerprint you did was a single digit I assume and placed on the card you signed. That was the I-89 which will be used to manufacture your green card. Did the examiner tell you to address the envelope to anyone in particular? Be sure to mark that it is an RFE material for a pending AOS status for an interview done on such and such a date with [place the name there].

I would further suggest that in three months time if you don't have the green card in hand or at the very least a "you have been approved" notice from the USCIS that you contact your local political rep's immigration laision for assistance.

Rete
Old May 25th 2004, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

mikeandtre is an unknown quantity at this point

Rete,

thanks so much for your kind reply. Yes, it was a single fingerprint. I feel foolish for not researching further into the process beforehand, I guess it's our own fault for trusting only the directions given to us by the INS during this process. (in our case, insufficient instructions!)

I did foolishly assume since my medical was done at the embassy for the K1, that when the AOS letter stated "include Medical (If not previous submitted)" that applied to me as being previously submitted Oh well.

I guess we waited this long, whats a few more months!

I also noticed tonight after reviewing all the papers we came home with, that the Interview letter doesn't mention to bring 2 ADIT photos, and these are required as the interviewer took them from me. (Lucky I had them just in case!).

I hope my misfortune helps others steer clear of pitfalls in their process. Good luck, and thanks.
Old May 25th 2004, 2:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mikeandtre
I hope my misfortune helps others steer clear of pitfalls in their process. Good luck, and thanks.

I'm sure that it will, Mike. It would especially helpful if you could post today's experience on the AOS interview experience pages.

http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html

This way someone going through your district office can have an easy reference to your experience and perhaps avoid the same problem you encountered.

Do hope you will let us know how it turns out when you are finally approved.

Rete