Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS Interview Experience at Baltimore (Long)

AOS Interview Experience at Baltimore (Long)

Old Dec 16th 2003, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

ccalgreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS Interview Experience at Baltimore (Long)

Thursday December 11th 2003

Our second trip to the Fallon Federal Building in Baltimore began a little later than for our previous appointment for fingerprinting and EAD proceedings. To get to our 10:15 interview we gave ourselves a couple of hours from our home in Gaithersburg, and chanced our arm at the back roads seeing as the news reported heavy congestion on Interstate-270 (like that's any surprise!). In the end, it was a pleasant drive avoiding most of the traffic, and we pulled into the underground garage a perfect 30 mins before our appointment.

It was also nice that the queue to get in was much shorter than in August, seeing as the temperature was many degrees lower this time. After passing through the checkpoint, we were directed to Room 103, where it appeared we would have a long wait. We approached the window to check in at 10am, an inspecting officer came up to the desk and Clem handed her his appointment letter. She told us that we could be seen immediately, and we bypassed the queues. She said she could conduct the interview early, as someone hadn't shown up for their appointment before us, and the whole experience was much faster than we expected.

We went to her office, and swore us in under oath. While she was opening our USCIS file (which we could see was now over an inch thick) we opened our portfolio. We had arranged it such that all of the items were in the order that they were asked for in the appointment letter, and individual groups of items (e.g. official forms, Evidence of Bona Fide Marriage etc.) were in manila folders inside our portfolio, as well as all other important pieces of evidence from the copy of the I-129F onwards. Everything we were asked to bring in original, we made a copy in case they asked for it. As it turned out, the officer took all the photocopies we had and put them into the USCIS file. She complimented us on how organized we were, and commented how she wished everyone brought as much evidence as we did to make her job easier. It appeared that she occupied maybe a supervisory role because she said that she no longer conducted so many interviews herself - Kate seems to remember seeing a supervisor's plaque on the wall too. If this was the case, it might explain why she was so thorough in her examination, more so than we had been expecting.

The first thing she asked for was to see Clem's passport, EAD and both of our Driver's Licenses. To cut a long story short, she asked us to confirm the answers to a few questions as she went over Clem's I-485 AoS application form:

-When Clem arrived in the United States, whether this was his last entry
-When we got married
-Clem's parents' first names
-Whether Clem had applied for a Green Card before
-Where Clem works
-Clem's occupation
-Clem's citizenship
-Whether Clem had been in any trouble with the law, with drugs or had ever been deported
-How we met
-How many times Kate had been to England (Kate couldn't remember exactly - she guessed about 5 times, but eventually said she wasn't sure; in the I-129F petition, we had listed out all the times we'd seen each other since we first met)
-Whether Kate still worked at the job she had put down on the I-864 Affidavit of Support
-Whether Kate had moved to Maryland for her job
-Whether we had a big wedding reception
-Our address (which they had originally misspelled on the appointment letter) and whether we were renting together

She asked to see Clem's original birth certificate, but not our original marriage certificate. We didn't know how much evidence of a bona fide marriage she would want to see, but she seemed happy enough to look at everything we'd brought with us, and take the copies that we had made. This included:

-Wedding photos (she asked Clem to confirm the pictures showed his parents and sister, and commented on Kate's godparents' restaurant, where the ceremony was held)
-Wedding cards (she didn't look at these)
-Rental agreement
-Homeowner's/Tenant's insurance
-Joint bank account and credit card statements
-Car purchase and ownership documents
-Car insurance
-Automobile club documents
-Life insurance and medical benefits documents (listing each other as beneficiaries)
-Joint telephone bill
-Flight tickets and boarding passes from a trip taken together

The sticking point of the interview came when she went over Kate's I-864 Affidavit of Support. As evidence, Kate had obtained a letter from her employer stating her salary, and tax transcripts for two years. She had also obtained a letter from the IRS stating why she was not required to file a tax return for 2000 (since she was a student, she didn't earn enough to be required to submit one). The instructions didn't say that the tax returns were to prove that the sponsor made 125% of the poverty guideline in all of the three preceding years, but it's probable that the whole reason behind requiring them was to show proof that Kate could sustain fulfilling the sponsorship requirement.

However, the officer said that, even though she was convinced both of us made enough money now, either because Kate didn't earn enough to file a tax return one year or that she only made $3,000 the previous year, we would have to get a co-sponsor. Clem offered to show her proof of Kate's assets, which she had obtained for the I-134 Affidavit of Support for the K-1 Visa. The officer reminded us that it had to be readily convertible into cash, which most of it was - mutual funds, IRA, car, engagement and wedding ring valuations - but despite our evidence, she still said she wanted us to get a co-sponsor. Because of this, she told us she would mark our case as continuing. Kate said that her dad would be the co-sponsor, and the officer told us that he would have to submit an I-864 within 3 months. (She told Kate he would need to send in his proof of citizenship (e.g. birth certificate) and was surprised to find out he was a naturalized citizen himself.)

It was frustrating because Kate had considered asking her dad to co-sponsor, both for the I-134 and the I-864, but despite not doing so, Clem had no trouble getting his K-1 or getting the AoS interview scheduled. We knew that some people have been lucky in that the inspecting officer didn't scrutinize the application so closely, and, other than us, we only knew of one couple who had the same problem. It's easy to say now in hindsight that we should have listened to them instead, but like everything else, the lesson was one we knew all along - never leave anything to chance.

The officer said when the co-sponsorship documents had been reviewed, Clem would receive his approval notice and would have to come back to Baltimore to get the I-551 stamp in his passport - the Green Card itself would be mailed out later, but she wouldn't say how long. After 2 years from the date of approval for Lawful Permanent Residency, Clem would be eligible to remove the conditions. In the mean time, she reminded us, if we needed to travel abroad, Clem would need Advance Parole. Finally, she took out a large card and got Clem's right index fingerprint and signature on both sides.

We were disappointed because we hoped we could have had everything wrapped up that day, but then again, there was nothing more Clem had to prove to get his Green Card. Kate's dad will fill in the co-sponsor form and provide us with his employer's letter and tax transcripts, and we'll pick it up when we visit them for Christmas. At least there's still the opportunity that we could wrap up the Green Card within a year of Kate submitting the I-129F. Wow - has it been a year already? What a year!
Old Dec 16th 2003, 5:30 pm
former Rochesterian

katina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AOS Interview Experience at Baltimore (Long)

And for others who have co-sponsors who aren't native-born, when I asked the officer if either a photocopy of my father's U.S. passport or a photocopy of his naturalization certificate were preferable, she said either one is fine.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 5:42 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for posting your experience.
I'll be going through Baltimore myself, eventually, (just getting my AOS package together now).

Here's hoping you get that full approval real soon.

Best wishes

Tam
Old Dec 16th 2003, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

rzack is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm....I think I just lucky coz' my interviewer not even want to see my folder! He just told me to pull few documents that have both of our names there. So even I brought three ring files for original, photocopies and album, he just need any 3 of any documents and told us that my background check was completed and he stamped my passport.

But of course the first thing he asked is the LATEST tax returns. Not for all 3 years. I hope you will get your approval soon.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

eiloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats to you and Kate...

This exact experience is what I need for my next trip to Baltimore on February 11... Sounds like you had everything required.

Hoping you get your stamp VERY SOON!!

Ian
Old Dec 16th 2003, 8:42 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your somewhat successful case. I know it's not all over yet, which really sucks, but it sounds like you had a nice enough officer nontheless, and of course as long as your dad is willing to co-sponsor this should be resolved before too long.

Wow, it's crazy to think you guys sent off your I-129F a week after me and are already getting your AOS. I seem to be nowhere near getting my EAD yet!!
Old Dec 17th 2003, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex Teesside, England Now in Edgewater, Maryland USA
Daveyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for sharing your experience as we are going thro Baltimore on a K1. Where did you get the info on how they like the application put together?
Did you submit 2 photos or 4 as 2 of the forms I have seen both ask for 2 photos.
Did you have to have an alien registration card as asked for on form I 131 and Im not sure if Im classed as a permanent resident or a conditional resident.
I got my SS# 2 weeks after moving here and just before I got married but it doesnt qualify me to get credit and I had to get a W8 form to open a bank a/c , It says its only valid for work if authorised by the INS. Is this normal or have I done it wrong. We bought a car on credit but I wasnt allowed to have my name on it. Shame really cos we could have paid cash.
Sorry if Im asking alot here but I thought you may be able to help even though we have read lots of stuff on here.
Thanks
Dave n Linda
Old Dec 17th 2003, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Daveyboy
Thanks for sharing your experience as we are going thro Baltimore on a K1. Where did you get the info on how they like the application put together?
Did you submit 2 photos or 4 as 2 of the forms I have seen both ask for 2 photos.
Did you have to have an alien registration card as asked for on form I 131 and Im not sure if Im classed as a permanent resident or a conditional resident.
I got my SS# 2 weeks after moving here and just before I got married but it doesnt qualify me to get credit and I had to get a W8 form to open a bank a/c , It says its only valid for work if authorised by the INS. Is this normal or have I done it wrong. We bought a car on credit but I wasnt allowed to have my name on it. Shame really cos we could have paid cash.
Sorry if Im asking alot here but I thought you may be able to help even though we have read lots of stuff on here.
Thanks
Dave n Linda
Wow - many questions! That's good that you ask them though, and not try to go through the process blindly.

There were a bunch of websites we used to help us put together our application. However, it seems like some of the most useful are no longer up - I just learned Doc Steen's site isn't being hosted at k1.exit.com any more (although it was out of date by now). We have a whole bunch of links on our website at http://k1fun.envy.nu/links.html that we're going to update sooner rather than later - you can check that out to see if they still work (and let us know which ones don't!)

I think I submitted as many photos were required on each form (2 for AoS and 2 for EAD), because they were applications for two separate things. In the end, I didn't need the EAD pictures because I had to go to Baltimore to have my picture taken and signature recorded for the EAD.

I never actually applied for AP in the end, so I don't have any experience with what will and won't work on your I-131. The only thing I would say was that they wanted me to file a separate application for each visit outside of the U.S. - they wouldn't let me put down "multiple trips" as others had gotten away with in the past.

Your SS card is correct to say "Valid with INS Work Authorization Only" (despite the fact it is incorrect to say "INS"). Once you get your Green Card approval, you can present it to your local SSA office and they will give you a new card with that verbiage taken off (your SSN remains the same, as far as I know).

Bad luck that they didn't allow you to put your name on the car ownership documents. The dealership I bought my car from was fine so long as Kate co-signed for me. I've heard that that's one thing that really helps to boost your credit rating (so long as you don't default on the payments).

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask, or check out our website - I promise it will be updated!

Cheers

CLEM
Old Dec 17th 2003, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Steffi
Congrats on your somewhat successful case. I know it's not all over yet, which really sucks, but it sounds like you had a nice enough officer nontheless, and of course as long as your dad is willing to co-sponsor this should be resolved before too long.

Wow, it's crazy to think you guys sent off your I-129F a week after me and are already getting your AOS. I seem to be nowhere near getting my EAD yet!!
Thanks for the encouragement! We hope you have better luck!

CLEM
Old Dec 17th 2003, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by eiloo
Congrats to you and Kate...

This exact experience is what I need for my next trip to Baltimore on February 11... Sounds like you had everything required.

Hoping you get your stamp VERY SOON!!

Ian
Hope you have better luck than me!

CLEM
Old Dec 17th 2003, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by rzack
Hmmm....I think I just lucky coz' my interviewer not even want to see my folder! He just told me to pull few documents that have both of our names there. So even I brought three ring files for original, photocopies and album, he just need any 3 of any documents and told us that my background check was completed and he stamped my passport.

But of course the first thing he asked is the LATEST tax returns. Not for all 3 years. I hope you will get your approval soon.
It really comes down to who you get...
Old Dec 17th 2003, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by FlyergirlUK
Thanks for posting your experience.
I'll be going through Baltimore myself, eventually, (just getting my AOS package together now).

Here's hoping you get that full approval real soon.

Best wishes

Tam
Thanks! Drop us a line if you need any help!

CLEM
Old Dec 17th 2003, 8:26 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers Clem!!

Always good to know there's help at hand when it comes to this stuff; ya never know what's gonna trip you up if you're not looking!!

Best wishes

Tam
Old Dec 18th 2003, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex Teesside, England Now in Edgewater, Maryland USA
Daveyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats a great help, thanks alot for taking the time to answer. Im sure it took long enough for you just to read it! I get carried away. I'll visit your site cos it will still be more current than alot of others.
Cheers
Dave