Wendy

Default AOS interview documents

Hi everyone, can anyone share some information of the lately required
evidences for interview of AOS? Also what should be prepared for asking
questions? I have heard from a friend they even will ask the man what is
your mother in law's name?

Old Mar 20th 2004, 12:16 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS interview documents

Originally posted by Wendy
Hi everyone, can anyone share some information of the lately requiredevidences for interview of AOS? Also what should be prepared for asking questions? I have heard from a friend they even will ask the manwhat isyour mother in law's name?
Never got asked that question but a lot of men could answer the question to the MIL name " The Witch"
Old Mar 20th 2004, 2:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

There are no set questions. They are individualized as are the interviews. Yes, mother and father-in-law questions can and might be asked. As are questions regarding birthdays, where born, what presents were exchanged, nor nothing personal at all might be asked. I would be assumed that a spouse will know the other spouse's family and information such as their names will be known.

Rete
Old Mar 21st 2004, 3:06 am
Robin

"Wendy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi everyone, can anyone share some information of the lately required
    > evidences for interview of AOS? Also what should be prepared for asking
    > questions? I have heard from a friend they even will ask the man what is
    > your mother in law's name?

My husband had his AOS interview a year ago. Preparation is the key.
I had all of our documents in a binder - the original and one copy to
give to the officer. I included our birth certificates, marriage
certificate, divorce certificates, 3 years tax forms, affadavit of
support and everything we had sent for the fiance visa. I used those
plastic binder envelopes to hold each "set" of documents. My mother
and my best friend wrote letters stating we were a real couple. I
made copies of several of our wedding photos (she never asked to see
them) to take along. I had copies of our joint credit card, my
inclusion of my husband on my health and life insurance policies. I
owned our house before he came, so I didn't have any joint utility
bills.

I don't recall what personal questions that were asked. But I
remember that they weren't tricky.

I can't stress enough that you should go in prepared. I believe it
impressed the officer that I had everything neatly organized and
easily accessible.

Good Luck!

Old Mar 21st 2004, 4:58 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

That is not a tricky question!!
Relax!!!!
Old Mar 21st 2004, 5:19 am
Wendy

Thank you Robin very much. I really appreciated. I completely agree with you
the preparation is important. That is what I am working on.

Thank you again.
"Robin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > "Wendy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hi everyone, can anyone share some information of the lately required
    > > evidences for interview of AOS? Also what should be prepared for asking
    > > questions? I have heard from a friend they even will ask the man what is
    > > your mother in law's name?
    > My husband had his AOS interview a year ago. Preparation is the key.
    > I had all of our documents in a binder - the original and one copy to
    > give to the officer. I included our birth certificates, marriage
    > certificate, divorce certificates, 3 years tax forms, affadavit of
    > support and everything we had sent for the fiance visa. I used those
    > plastic binder envelopes to hold each "set" of documents. My mother
    > and my best friend wrote letters stating we were a real couple. I
    > made copies of several of our wedding photos (she never asked to see
    > them) to take along. I had copies of our joint credit card, my
    > inclusion of my husband on my health and life insurance policies. I
    > owned our house before he came, so I didn't have any joint utility
    > bills.
    > I don't recall what personal questions that were asked. But I
    > remember that they weren't tricky.
    > I can't stress enough that you should go in prepared. I believe it
    > impressed the officer that I had everything neatly organized and
    > easily accessible.
    > Good Luck!

Old Mar 21st 2004, 5:20 am
Wendy

It is not like you think so easy. My parents do not have English names. And
how can I expect an American guy pronounce very clearly another nation's
names?
"Rete" <member167@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Wendy
    > > Hi everyone, can anyone
    > share some information of the lately required
    > > evidences for interview
    > of AOS? Also what should be prepared for asking
    > > questions? I have
    > heard from a friend they even will ask the man what is
    > > your mother in
    > law's name?
    > There are no set questions. They are
    > individualized as are the interviews. Yes, mother and father-in-law
    > questions can and might be asked. As are questions regarding birthdays,
    > where born, what presents were exchanged, nor nothing personal at all
    > might be asked. I would be assumed that a spouse will know the other
    > spouse's family and information such as their names will be known.
    > Rete
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 21st 2004, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

They didn't just ask me my mother-in-law's name, they asked me her maiden name. Then again I'm a woman, maybe women are expected to know details that men are not. <shrug>

I was asked my husband's birth date, birth place, and his mother's maiden name. His birth place was difficult for me to pronounce or even to remember since it was long/foreign and I couldn't pronounce it. I got out the first syllable and she seemed satisfied with that. Perhaps your husband should at least know the first part of your parents' names, even if he is not able to pronounce them correctly in their entirety. (Also the officer won't know what the correct pronunciation is, so you have some leeway there!)

I think it's important to just relax. The purpose of the interview is to ferret out sham marriages from real relationships. If you are truly living as a married couple it will come through. The adjudicating officer has a lot of leeway, and (IMHO) they're just watching how you interact as a couple and watching how you answer the questions. Trying to see if you're faking it.

I've been told that most likely, they've made a judgment the minute you walk in through that door. The rest of the interview is to confirm their initial judgment through further observation and finally, the documentation. Again this is my own theory only, but I think the documentation is just procedure so they can say they had something objective and tangible on which they based their judgment.

So relax. Answer the questions naturally and to the best of your ability. Bring organized documentation. We brought originals and I made copies of everything and put them in a binder for the USCIS, but she didn't want my binder so I ended up taking the copies out and handing them to her as she asked for them, and she put them in her own file. Your documentation should demonstrate both joint financial ties and social recognition as a couple. We brought:

- joint tax return
- joint bank account statements
- utility bills, some in my name, some in his name, at the same address
- joint lease
- joint health insurance
- life insurance/401k/IRA beneficiary forms showing spouse as beneficiary
- (for wife) social security card with new married name
- drivers licenses for both with same address
- wedding announcement
- photos from ceremony
- photos with us and friends and family at different times in different places (though she ended up only looking at the first one, which had us and both our families all in one picture)
- social correspondence addressed to both of us (e.g. christmas cards)

In addition we were asked to bring current letters of employment (I also brought the latest pay stub for good measure) and tax returns for the last 3 years.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 6:23 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It is not like you think so easy. My parents do not have English names. And
how can I expect an American guy pronounce very clearly another nation's
names?
He can pronounce yours I assume. There is no reason why he can't learn to pronounce the name of his in-laws. But actually since you are the foreigner they might want to know if you know the names of his family members. If he is asked about his in-laws he can be honest and tell them something like they are tongue twisters for me so I call them [fill in the blanks]. Being an American does not make your husband mentally impaired.

As the USC I was asked the number of times my husband was married before and the names of his ex-wives.

Robin set up things much the way we had in 2000. We did not use plastic sleeves, however. You can always read through the AOS interview experience pages for the real lowdown on what others have experienced at the interview and how they were prepared.

Rete
Old Mar 21st 2004, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

curlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nice

From what I have read on here, and my own personal experience, it depends on many factors - WHERE you are filing, and the interviewer you get! I just had my interview at Baltimore last week, and it was a great experience - the interviewer was really nice, and it seemed much more like a "formality" than I expected. It definately helps to make sure you have everything you could poss need - it can really delay things through some offices if you have to come back.

He asked us simple questions - they are definately geared towards things you WOULD know if you are in a valid marriage.... where was the wedding, when was the wedding, who was there, who was in the wedding party.... was there a honeymoon. Have you met each others parents, etc etc.
He looked through our wedding and honeymoon photos.... and then asked for any joint documents.
I had a pile of joint things - bank account, car insurance, dental, life insurance beneficiary. One pile as originals, and then again as copies, with a LIST of contents. He took the whole pile of copies, and checked the originals. That was it. He approved our I130 and I485 together, and then we "chit chatted" while he filed everything. He was a really nice guy, and I think we got really lucky.
We also took a copy of this years tax return (joint) which I think they like to have.

We took a whole folder of other stuff - photos, cards, etc etc... but he didn't ask for anything else - I'm definately glad I was overprepared though!

good luck

Old Mar 22nd 2004, 9:50 am
I love my sailor.

Marjeta is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard from a friend they even will ask the man what is
It's funny you ask that. Me and my husband were just talking about what type of questions might come up at the interview. (Our interview is in 2 weeks).
We've been married for over a year and I found out that he doesn't know my mother's name!
That doesn't really surprise me though. He only met her once in person and there's also the language barrier. Besides when we talk about our parents we always refer to them as 'mom' and 'dad'.
For all the people that think it is strange to not know your inlaws' names - I guess it isn't really that strange, but we'll know them for our interview.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 12:17 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Marjeta
It's funny you ask that. Me and my husband were just talking about what type of questions might come up at the interview. (Our interview is in 2 weeks).
We've been married for over a year and I found out that he doesn't know my mother's name!
That doesn't really surprise me though. He only met her once in person and there's also the language barrier. Besides when we talk about our parents we always refer to them as 'mom' and 'dad'.
For all the people that think it is strange to not know your inlaws' names - I guess it isn't really that strange, but we'll know them for our interview.

Good Luck!!