Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS Interview Details - kinda long!

AOS Interview Details - kinda long!

Old Jan 12th 2005, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default AOS Interview Details - kinda long!

Hi Everyone,

First, we wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the 'best wishes' and 'good luck' thrown our way. We certainly needed every bit of it today. The day started off a bit on the wrong foot, but has ended none too badly.

Our appointment was for 10:15, and on a good day, it's about a 90-100 minute drive into Louisville from our town. Some of you might remember the thread I asked about matching licenses last week, so we needed to get our license addresses updated before heading into L'ville. We felt it better not to raise any suspicions about why our addresses didn't match. Unfortunately in KY, you have to go to the County Clerk's office in your county of residence in order to change the license. They did not open until 8:30, but we got there about 8:25 and the door was already open. By the time we got out of there, it was about 8:40, and we now had 1 hour and 35 minutes to get to our appointment.

Well, with me praying the whole way for "Please God, no cops. Please God, no delays" we got into Louisville and parked in the garage (4th floor mind you!) at about 10:12ish - so we already knew we were going to be a bit late. By the time we got through security and made our way to the 3rd floor, and waited in line, we ended up handing in our appt. letter by about 10:25. Luckily, even though the lady seemed a bit put off by it, she accepted our letter and asked for any documents we were asked to bring and asked for Scott's passport. I asked her if they wanted any copies of any previous docs and she said no because they would already be in the file. So I simply handed her our stack of docs (originals & copies) of our marriage evidence. She accepted it, and told us to be seated towards the rear of the room (which is actually where the entrance to the office is).

We figured we'd be put at the end of queue since there were several other couples already waiting, but we only waited about 10-15 minutes before my name was called out. Yes, ladies & gents, I was called first, by myself. Let me tell you, I think the fear of God had been put into me since I figured only those they suspected of fraud were interviewed separately. The Officer seemed quite friendly though, and I believe he was of some South American country nationality. We entered the tiny office and as I was about to sit down (I forgot your Rule #1, SG!) he asked me to remain standing so I could be sworn in.

I sat down, and he asked to see my picture id, so I handed him my license and passport. He then updated the address on Scott's I-485. Since we will be re-locating again in a month's time, I asked him if he could please place my mother's address on there instead so that we do not have to worry about placing a mail forward. He didn't have a problem doing that.

He then asked me a few very basic questions:
--Where were you born?
--How did you meet Scott?
--Where/when did you get married?
--Did anyone else live with me? This one threw me a bit - I thought he was trying to be tricky. I simply answered "My husband Scott lives with us." He asked "No one else?" I said "Uh, just me, him and our cats."
--Then he asked "What are your cats' names?" So I told him
--How much do you pay in rent?

And that was it!! He then handed over the document to sign that explained how to remove the conditions, and when to remove the conditions. I asked him if he wanted to see any photos (since I taken the time to scan & print off about 20 of them!) and he declined. He made the comment that everything appeared to be in order. He kept the copies of all the marriage evidence we provided and handed me back the originals. He said that was it! The interview only lasted about 10 minutes! So I packed the originals back into our satchel and he walked me back to the waiting room where he then motioned for Scott to follow him back.

He swore Scott in and asked the following questions:
--You're a UK citizen, but what city were you born in? Scott explained how he was actually born in South Africa, but his parents were British.
--When were you married? Scott answered correctly. And then the DO made a comment something like "You got married pretty soon after arriving." Scott just replied back with something like "I guess it was fairly soon after April." Scott arrived in April on the K1.
--What does the "L" in "Jamie L" stand for? So Scotty told him my middle name.
--Where are you currently living?
--Does anybody else live with you? Scott answered "It's just me and my wife"
--Do you have any pets?
--How much is your rent?

After these questions, he said he had no reason to deny Scott's AOS and had him sign the form about the I-751 as well.

Then we got the kicker: He then informed Scott that the A-number on his K1 visa, his EAD and his appt. letter were all incorrect. Apparently there was some screw up in London (that we never noticed) that transcribed the last 3 digits of his A-number to 945. On his I-129f (which we looked at today) NOA the last 3 digits were 445. So luckily, this man was keen enough to see the mistake and ensured that the I-551 stamp had the correct number as well as the form that the man will send to Texas to generate the green card. He then told Scott we could expect the card within 3 months.

We walked out very happy people. We found it very suprising that he did not ask to see the vaccination supplement, neither of our birth certificates, no photos..not nothing else besides the marriage docs we had prepared. Btw, those docs are: 2 joint leases, gas bill, 2 phone bills, letter from bank about joint acct, AAA membership, personal loan, car title, car payment doc. He didn't even ask why I made below the poverty level for 2002 and 2001 - he didn't ask for an explanation, and I suppose only looked at the 2003 income?? I don't really know, but I'm not going to complain.

FYI, my dad (not Scott's dad) appears to be doing well. He never lost consciousness, but does have some slurred speech and some partial weakness & loss of motor control skills. They are still doing some tests, but we are pretty hopeful since he's already been up and walking and feeding himself - albeit with his other hand!

Good night all!

Cheers,
~Jamie & Scott
~~Now we're legal!!
Old Jan 12th 2005, 3:19 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS Interview Details - kinda long!

Massive congrats. I like how he did the question about the pets.

Good to hear that your father seems to be on the mend. My FIL suffered his third stroke this summer and lost the part of his brain that controls balance. Even with that he seems to be doing remarkably well and I hope your dad continues to improve.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 3:32 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Excellent detail, did he not ask for any other documents?
Congrats on the great result.
Patrick
Old Jan 12th 2005, 5:07 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
--When were you married? Scott answered correctly.
You wouldn't believe how many guys get this wrong!

We walked out very happy people.
Congratulations to you both! Outstanding news!

Ian
Old Jan 12th 2005, 12:03 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic news, you two! We're so glad that it worked out well, but boy, it sure is stressful! Yours is the first time I've heard of people going separately (I'm sure it happens, but I've not heard it reported here), so it looks like each office really has its own requirements and procedures. Anyway, well done: one more thing to cross off the worry list!

We'll talk soon, and good thoughts for you and your dad.

~SecretGarden
~and Mr. Pink
Old Jan 12th 2005, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Rukhie is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats!
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

I've already congratulated you on the other thread but it can't hurt to do it twice. One for each of you! Remarkable speed on the DLs - I'm glad to hear that was also painless.

Welcome to the LPR club. And cheers to your dad for a quick and full recovery.

Sphy
Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:10 pm
Found: My soul mate!!

mrs.jar2b will become famous soon enoughmrs.jar2b will become famous soon enough

Many congrats you too on your success! Very interesting experience to read I must say!

Well wishes to your dad, Jamie.

Jackie
Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, Jamie and Scott!! That must have been unnerving, having separate interviews! It's so interesting for me to hear all the different questions that are asked, and I think to myself "does Sadegh know that?" LOL He doesn't know how much we pay in rent or utilities...I handle paying all the bills, and the dollar amounts have never come up! And I'm sure he knows the month we got married but probably not the exact date. But, he definitely knows a lot about our cat!

Congrats again, and I'm also so glad to hear your father's doing well.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Jamie and Scott....
Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inquisitive40
Excellent detail, did he not ask for any other documents?
Congrats on the great result.
Patrick
He sure didn't Patrick. Which is why I was soo very suprised. I expected at least some trouble with I-864 because I made below the poverty level for 2 out of the last 3 years due to my still being in school. I don't know if ever even looked at the I-864 to see that, but he did not ask for any further docs. No birth certs, no vaccination/medical docs, no photos.

Oh, and while I was waiting for Scott to return, there was a lawyer standing beside me that was there with another couple. I asked him if it was Louisville's standard practice to interview separately. He replied back with a yes - so definitely each office has their own way of doing things.

I will also say that the officers that I turned our appt letter into seemed none to helpful. They all had very sour expressions on their faces, and appeared to be resentful at being there. But the AO that interviewed us was smiling and seemed very nice.

Thanks everyone!
Old Jan 12th 2005, 9:28 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

The Officer seemed quite friendly though, and I believe he was of some South American country nationality.
Seriously, what is it with non-American officers? *L*

--When were you married? Scott answered correctly. And then the DO made a comment something like "You got married pretty soon after arriving." Scott just replied back with something like "I guess it was fairly soon after April." Scott arrived in April on the K1.
Didn't they ask SG & Mr. Pink the same question? I don't quite understand why they keep on being so surprised. I mean hello, you're giving us a 90 day deadline!! So it's not like you exactly have much of a choice. :-/

We found it very suprising that he did not ask to see the vaccination supplement
Did you send the supplement in with your AOS application? See, I'm reatarded...for whatever reason I didn't go to get my supplement done and then realized it had been a year and one week (or something shortly after a year) since my interview and applications were filed, so I missed the deadline to get it done. So besides kicking myself now I'm obviously worried about what to do. If I don't get it done then I just knoooow that they will want it and it will cause trouble. If I do get it then they probably won't ever mention it. BUT I guess I better be safe than sorry and just go ahead and get it done. But I think I'm just going to wait until I know when my interview is before I will get it done.

And of course last but not least: congratulations!!!
Old Jan 12th 2005, 9:34 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It's so interesting for me to hear all the different questions that are asked, and I think to myself "does Sadegh know that?" LOL He doesn't know how much we pay in rent or utilities...I handle paying all the bills, and the dollar amounts have never come up! And I'm sure he knows the month we got married but probably not the exact date. But, he definitely knows a lot about our cat!
Haha, no kidding!! I'm reading all these interviews so I had to ask Patrick what our wedding date was. He actually forgot for a minute! I had to remind him that it really was quite simple: the day before 9/11! I told him that I'd have to teach him all the terms before the interview, as well as go over all our facts to make sure that he'd know everything (such as reminding him when our wedding day was, etc *L*). To that he replied that the officer would probably think that our marriage was a fraud because he knew too much detail! Haha.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

psychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Fantastic news, you two! We're so glad that it worked out well, but boy, it sure is stressful! Yours is the first time I've heard of people going separately (I'm sure it happens, but I've not heard it reported here), so it looks like each office really has its own requirements and procedures. Anyway, well done: one more thing to cross off the worry list!

We'll talk soon, and good thoughts for you and your dad.

~SecretGarden
~and Mr. Pink

We also got called in separately, and then together. I thought it was SOP.

Dawn
Old Jan 12th 2005, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Yours is the first time I've heard of people going separately (I'm sure it happens, but I've not heard it reported here), so it looks like each office really has its own requirements and procedures.
Sheila and I were interviewed separately at my AOS interview. This was at the Louisville, KY office in February 2001.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.