Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS Interview coming, I-864 *again*?

Wikiposts

AOS Interview coming, I-864 *again*?

Old Oct 20th 2004, 12:33 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS Interview coming, I-864 *again*?

Originally Posted by speedyvespa
Crikey O'reilly! Thanks for the story, Mr. Udall, something of a cautionary tale...

Would you recommend that I go via this route? Would it be worth taking an attorney?

Thanks.
What route, the I-864A? Read the instructions for that form, and you will see why I didn't think it was required (there were no children of the sponsored immigrant applying for AOS in my case). I think Rita had a good idea about having the co-sponsor material ready to go in case it's needed. You could do the same for the I-864A just in case you get an officer who thinks it's required. As far as whether or not you should take an attorney with you, that is up to you. You won't know if you will get a dim officer until you are sitting there at the interview, so it would be a little late at that moment in time to think about getting an attorney, but on the flip side of that coin I can say that "usually" (from my experiences) the officers do a good job and follow the rules. But you never know.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

speedyvespa is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
What route, the I-864A? Read the instructions for that form, and you will see why I didn't think it was required (there were no children of the sponsored immigrant applying for AOS in my case). I think Rita had a good idea about having the co-sponsor material ready to go in case it's needed. You could do the same for the I-864A just in case you get an officer who thinks it's required. As far as whether or not you should take an attorney with you, that is up to you. You won't know if you will get a dim officer until you are sitting there at the interview, so it would be a little late at that moment in time to think about getting an attorney, but on the flip side of that coin I can say that "usually" (from my experiences) the officers do a good job and follow the rules. But you never know.
Just a quick question related to the above - if I don't file an I-864A, how do I reflect my current income (or income earned thus far) on the I-864 and add it to my wife's? I thought I could - but is this only possible if I'd have filed a tax return showing enough income for the previous tax year?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 1:20 am
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Of course, bring the friend's I-864 with you in case you get a prick of an examiner as someone did in Vermont who absolutely, unequivably refused to accept the foreign spouse's income on the I-864 even though instructions say it is permissible.
Rete
Ermm..I have my interview coming up in Vermont in two weeks....thanks for the warning!