Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS interview in Charleston, SC

AOS interview in Charleston, SC

Old Sep 16th 2002, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Lyanne is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile AOS interview in Charleston, SC

After three years of waiting, we had our AOS interview this morning. Arrived about 20 minutes early for our 8:50 appointment, dutifully lugging our mountain of paperwork and with our 4 year old K2 in tow. The twins were left in the custody of a neighbor, as the appointment requested that young children not be brought along unless they are directly involved in an application - if anyone using this office has problems finding a sitter, don't sweat it. Lots of people had kids, and it was apparent that most of the kids didn't need to be there. If you have an appointment you put your letter into a box on the counter, no need to take a number. After a few minutes, an agent called my name and took a fingerprint on what will become my green card. I sat back down and we began the wait.

We were called into the interviewer's office at 10:20 and sworn in. The interviewer was very friendly and pleasant; she made a bit of small talk and confirmed our address details on her forms. She didn't look at *any* of our documentation. Seriously. We had one stack of originals organized in the order given in the appointment letter, then two stacks of copies (the letter stated we needed copies for my file and for the K2 file). She just asked for one set of copies, but didn't even look at them. She adked me the standard questions about criminal activity, etc., asked us how we met, asked Mark what he did in the Navy, asked my son a couple of questions and that was it. The interview was over!

Unfortunately, I don't have a stamp in my passport, although she did make a handwritten note on the last page. DH laughed and said it was a step up from just having a cash register receipt to prove I'm here legally. In Charleston they now do fingerprinting at the interview, so our approval is pending completion of the background check. We left the agent's office and had to wait about an hour to have fingerprints done. Once we receive a letter saying we're approved I can go down and get a stamp in my passport.

All in all, the staff were very efficient and courteous - much nicer than the people I dealt with in San Diego. The office was steadily busy, but not extremely so. No big lineups, nobody being turned away.

Good luck to everyone else still waiting for interviews!
Old Sep 16th 2002, 10:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS interview in Charleston, SC

Good to see you again Lyanne. Had been wondering what happened to you.

Congratulations on another step completed.

Rete