Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS Interview - Approved!

Wikiposts

AOS Interview - Approved!

Old Feb 10th 2011, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light
Default AOS Interview - Approved!

Hi everyone,

I had my AOS interview this morning and was approved! I thought I'd do a write-up of my experience, so here goes!

My appointment was for 8.40 a.m. and we arrived at the office about an hour early. Since the appointment letter said not to arrive more than 45 minutes early we sat in the car until about 7.55, then went inside. We met a security guard in the lobby who asked what time our appointment was, and said to come back at 8.15 as they were still seeing the 8 o'clock appointments. Off we went to get a drink and something small to eat (I didn't think I could stomach anything as I was nervous! Turns out eating is a good idea though!)

We returned at 8.15 and showed our ID and the appointment letter, they asked some security questions and we went through the metal detector, then put the interview letter in a slot in the wall as directed.

We sat in the waiting room and were called through at about 8.35 a.m. The officer conducting the interview was very friendly and put us both at ease, which was nice. In many ways it reminded me of my visa interview in London, although it took longer. The officer had us both raise our right hand and swear to tell the truth, and explained that he was going to be videoing the interview. He asked me lots of questions, such as when we first met and when we began the visa process (apparently I have an 'old' A-number, but we only started this whole thing 1 year ago so I don't know - it's the only number I've been given! He asked if anyone's ever filed for me previously because of that - nope!). Anyway he went on to ask for our documents - marriage certificate, my passport (and I-94) and hubby's proof of citizenship (we gave his birth certificate and passport). He asked me which city I entered the US through, and asked all the questions about being involved in political groups or organizations, terrorist activities (!) etc. All of the stuff I expected to be asked, really. He asked for my social security number, which I've finally managed to memorize!

He also asked to see the documentation we'd taken - we showed him our joint bank account statements, our joint lease for the house, joint medical and dental insurance documents, car insurance documents and even our doggy adoption agreement! He seemed to be impressed with what we had with us. I'd put everything into two well organized folders, one for all of our important documents and one for correspondence such as cards, letters and emails we've been sent. I offered to show him the correspondence, but he said he had plenty! I also gave him 3 photo albums and he looked through all of them. (Note: I'm sure I took way too much stuff, but having it all there made me feel more confident!)

He told me not to use my advance parole from now on (I've never used it, it only arrived last Friday) because he was approving me for my green card and apparently using the AP without first making an Infopass appointment would be classed as fraud (something to do with my status no longer being K-1 pending AOS). That's fine, I don't have any plans to leave the US anyway! He did say that in case of an emergency they can usually give you an Infopass appointment within a day or two, so that's good to know.

He gave me a letter saying I've been approved for my green card and that the card should arrive in 2 to 4 weeks. He also explained about the card being a 2 year conditional card, and explained how we go about removing the conditions (he also made it clear how important it is to do that at the right time, so as not to end up being out of status and therefore deportable). We've already read about that but it was good that he emphasized the importance of removing the conditions.

We left the building at 8.55 a.m. so we were very impressed with how efficient the whole process was. I'm really impressed by how quick the entire AOS has been, actually - just under 3 months from filing.

We're both thrilled to bits now that it's over with (until the removal of conditions, of course!) and it's such a nice feeling that I've been approved.

Again, a big THANK YOU to everybody on this forum, you've been a tremendous help to us while we've been going through the whole immigration process!
Old Feb 10th 2011, 5:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS Interview - Approved!

Yay! Congratulations! Brings back the memories of our AOS in Phoenix.

Yes, eating is a good thing. My husband never eats breakfast, but on the morning of his naturalization interview, I made him eat some toast with jam. He thanked me for that later, after his interview; he said he was so nervous, he was glad he had eaten something so as not to have an upset stomach.

Rene
Old Feb 10th 2011, 5:27 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by randomgirl
I had my AOS interview this morning and was approved!
Super duper! Congratulations.

Ian
Old Feb 10th 2011, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

Zepherine has a reputation beyond reputeZepherine has a reputation beyond reputeZepherine has a reputation beyond reputeZepherine has a reputation beyond reputeZepherine has a reputation beyond reputeZepherine has a reputation beyond reputeZepherine has a reputation beyond reputeZepherine has a reputation beyond reputeZepherine has a reputation beyond reputeZepherine has a reputation beyond reputeZepherine has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations , now you can relax a bit
Old Feb 10th 2011, 5:37 am
redruM

southerncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nice

Well done.

God job on your AOS
Old Feb 10th 2011, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone! It's such a weight off my shoulders, even though I knew it would probably go well I didn't want to relax too much and assume it would be fine - you just never know!

I might actually sleep well at night now, that is if the dogs don't snore too loud...

Old Feb 10th 2011, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yay! Congratulations! Brings back the memories of our AOS in Phoenix.

Yes, eating is a good thing. My husband never eats breakfast, but on the morning of his naturalization interview, I made him eat some toast with jam. He thanked me for that later, after his interview; he said he was so nervous, he was glad he had eaten something so as not to have an upset stomach.

Rene
It definitely helps! I had a slice of pumpkin bread, it made me feel better.
So, to everyone who's having an interview of any kind, make sure you eat something first!!!
Old Feb 10th 2011, 6:39 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations! Welcome to America

Great report, you got a very thorough interview. I can't believe how fast they come now.. very civilized!
Old Feb 10th 2011, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meauxna
Congratulations! Welcome to America

Great report, you got a very thorough interview. I can't believe how fast they come now.. very civilized!
Thank you!!!

The interview was great, I think the officer did a really good job (not just with his decision! hehe) and I mentioned to him at the end that the whole AOS process was much faster than I expected it to be - very efficient!
Old Feb 10th 2011, 6:53 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I can't believe how fast they come now.. very civilized!
Isn't that shocking? Back in 2004/2005 our AOS took 13 months from filing AOS to the interview date!

Rene
Old Feb 10th 2011, 6:56 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't that shocking? Back in 2004/2005 our AOS took 13 months from filing AOS to the interview date!

Rene
I know.. it's quite amazing. Reducing that 'limbo' time makes it a LOT less stressful for people too. I admit having short patience with people who have short patience for a month.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Great write up - Big Congrats!
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Great write up - Big Congrats!
Thank you so much!
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Yah goooo Random Girl!! Sounds like a nice interview too.

Still nothing on my AOS here, just under three months so hoping that I'll hear something anyday now.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Back in 2004/2005 our AOS took 13 months from filing AOS to the interview date!
I'll admit mine was a bit unusual... 33 months from filing AOS to the interview date: June 1998 - March 2001.

Ian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.