AOS and I-864

Old Nov 10th 2018, 8:01 am
Just Joined

SaraB25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS and I-864

Hi, can anyone help! My husbands I-130 application has been approved now we are at the next step. He has received his case number and we need to complete the affidavit of support. We currently all live and work in the uk (I am a us citizen by birth) I am a qualified dental nurse and my husband is an electrician/joiner and will seek employment as soon as we arrive in the US. We have $65k asset in our uk home which we will sell before we go. I obviously don’t have a current income in the US so unsure how to file the correct forms.
Do I need to move back to the states to seek employment without my family before we complete the I-864 or ask my father to be a second applicant for support as he lives and works in the US?

Has as anyone been in this situation?
Old Nov 10th 2018, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS and I-864

Either option is possible, as an aside and having gone to the Dentist yesterday US Qualified will be important especially in both your fields.
Old Nov 10th 2018, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Great thank you! My concern is not been able to sponsor my husband financially on paper as don’t have a job in the US as yet, even though we would have enough to live on at least for the first couple of years and should hope that would give us enough time to register and seek employment. Do you know how strict they are?
Old Nov 10th 2018, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaraB25 View Post
Great thank you! My concern is not been able to sponsor my husband financially on paper as don’t have a job in the US as yet, even though we would have enough to live on at least for the first couple of years and should hope that would give us enough time to register and seek employment. Do you know how strict they are?
Well it is mathematical, sounds like you will be using your Father.
Old Nov 10th 2018, 4:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Since yours is a marriage-based visa inquiry, I have asked that your thread be transferred to the correct forum: US Marriage-based Visa forum.

As for the affidavit of support, $65K might not be enough to sponsor your spouse. Not having a job in the US for either him or yourself is not an issue. You need 3 times the amount on the poverty guidelines for 2018 for a family your size to use your assets solely for sponsorship. Do you have relatives who are US Citizens and/or US Permanent Residents living in the US who are willing to sponsor your husband.

P.S. They (the USCIS and US Embassy) are very strict about sponsorship.
Old Nov 10th 2018, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Rete, yes I have my father and other family members. I didn’t want to use them if I didn’t have too but if you think it’s best that’s the route I will go down.
Old Nov 10th 2018, 6:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at the affidavit of support form I-864, or looked at the US poverty guidelines for 2018?

For a family of 2 it is $16,460. Since you will need 3x that amount to be fully qualified as the sole sponsor, you would need $49,380. Since you said you have over $65K then you will qualify as the sole financial sponsor for your spouse.

If, however, you have children, the amount will go up for each dependent.
Old Nov 10th 2018, 6:41 pm
Concierge

BTW you should be posting in the US Marriage-based visa forum and not the US immigration forum. You should open other threads there.
Old Nov 10th 2018, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi, yes I have, we have 2 children 9 and 6 so it goes up as would be classed as a family of 4 but thank you. I also need to look into it a bit further as my father is now retired so unsure if that will be a negative towards us as well. 😐
Old Nov 10th 2018, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
BTW you should be posting in the US Marriage-based visa forum and not the US immigration forum. You should open other threads there.
how do I do that please Rete this is my first time on any kind of forum? 😀
Old Nov 10th 2018, 6:51 pm
Concierge

The US marriage-based forum is the one listed directly under this one that you posted in. When you enter the USA section, there is a list of all the forums, i.e. US Immigration (this one), US Marriage-based Visa, Trailer Park, meetups, and lastly, USA general (where you should post asking questions about getting your and your spouse's social security card, leasing or buying a car, renting or buying a home, filing US taxes, etc.
Old Nov 10th 2018, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
The US marriage-based forum is the one listed directly under this one that you posted in. When you enter the USA section, there is a list of all the forums, i.e. US Immigration (this one), US Marriage-based Visa, Trailer Park, meetups, and lastly, USA general (where you should post asking questions about getting your and your spouse's social security card, leasing or buying a car, renting or buying a home, filing US taxes, etc.
👍 Great thank you.
Old Nov 10th 2018, 7:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaraB25 View Post
Hi, yes I have, we have 2 children 9 and 6 so it goes up as would be classed as a family of 4 but thank you. I also need to look into it a bit further as my father is now retired so unsure if that will be a negative towards us as well. 😐
$65K will not be enough in assets to sponsor a family of 4. You will need a joint sponsor. The joint sponsor needs to have enough funds to cover his own family size plus any immigrants.

The kids might become USCs upon entry to the USA so would need an I-864W. Others who know more about this will add their input.

Your retired father's pension, retirement and social security income is fine too use on the I-864.

Rene
Old Nov 10th 2018, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
$65K will not be enough in assets to sponsor a family of 4. You will need a joint sponsor. The joint sponsor needs to have enough funds to cover his own family size plus any immigrants.

The kids might become USCs upon entry to the USA so would need an I-864W. Others who know more about this will add their input.

Your retired father's pension, retirement and social security income is fine too use on the I-864.

Rene
fantastic thank you, don’t know what I’d do without these posts at the minute it’s all definitely a mind field.