Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS (I-485) Denied....Is work authorisation (I-765) still active?

Wikiposts

AOS (I-485) Denied....Is work authorisation (I-765) still active?

Old Sep 12th 2006, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

toastytoast33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS (I-485) Denied....Is work authorisation (I-765) still active?

I am a UK citizen married to a US citizen. I have previously filed for AOS (I-485) but had my application denied for failing to supply the evidence they requested. The petition (I-130) was approved however.

When filing my I-485 I also applied for work authorisation (I-765), but never recieved anything or attended any kind of interview. Now I am reapplying for AOS and am wondering if the original I-765 may still be active or did it terminate when my AOS was denied?
Old Sep 12th 2006, 3:07 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS (I-485) Denied....Is work authorisation (I-765) still active?

Originally Posted by toastytoast33
I am a UK citizen married to a US citizen. I have previously filed for AOS (I-485) but had my application denied for failing to supply the evidence they requested. The petition (I-130) was approved however.

When filing my I-485 I also applied for work authorisation (I-765), but never recieved anything or attended any kind of interview. Now I am reapplying for AOS and am wondering if the original I-765 may still be active or did it terminate when my AOS was denied?
Eligibility for the EAD is based on a correctly filed AOS (not approved, but accepted and in the system). I believe you lost out on the first I-765 because of the I-485 denial, and you'll have to apply for it again with this I-485.

Rene
Old Sep 12th 2006, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Eligibility for the EAD is based on a correctly filed AOS (not approved, but accepted and in the system). I believe you lost out on the first I-765 because of the I-485 denial, and you'll have to apply for it again with this I-485.

Rene
So when I file a new I-765, do I need to include a copy of my previous I-765? Question 11 on the form asks about previously filed applications for work authorisation and says "attach all documentation".
Old Sep 12th 2006, 3:24 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So when I file a new I-765, do I need to include a copy of my previous I-765? Question 11 on the form asks about previously filed applications for work authorisation and says "attach all documentation".
Sure, why not, couldn't hurt. Better safe than sorry, in my opinion.

Rene
Old Sep 12th 2006, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

Sure, why not, couldn't hurt. Better safe than sorry, in my opinion.

Rene
I never recieved an approval or denial for the work authorisation, only for the AOS (I-485). I filed the I-765 online and only have a printed confirmation.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute

Ok - so just send that (or a copy of it) and attach a letter explaining.

That's it!

I never recieved an approval or denial for the work authorisation, only for the AOS (I-485). I filed the I-765 online and only have a printed confirmation.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 3:43 am

Just send whatever you have that shows you once applied for an EAD.

Rene
Old Sep 12th 2006, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Just send whatever you have that shows you once applied for an EAD.

Rene
Okay, will do. Thanks
Old Sep 12th 2006, 3:49 am
Kat

Your original EAD is invalid due to the denial of your of I-485. When
reapplying for your AOS make sure you reapply for your EAD to have a
current active EAD.

Old Sep 12th 2006, 4:26 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

Excellent question -- arguments can be made either way.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 4:27 am
Account Closed

Rene
Hi Rene:

OP posted an excellent LEGAL question. On what do you base your "belief?"
Old Sep 12th 2006, 4:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kat
Your original EAD is invalid due to the denial of your of I-485. When
reapplying for your AOS make sure you reapply for your EAD to have a
current active EAD.
Hi:

What is the basis of the LEGAL conclusion you posit in the first sentence? I'm an experienced lawyer and this is one of those questions that I think can't be answered conclusively -- kind of a grey area IMHO.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi Rene:

I always thought the I-765 was based on a validly filed I-485, and if his was denied, I thought the I-765 would be invalid also.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer, and have no direct experience. My apologies for being so black and white in what seems to be a grey area.

Rene
Old Sep 12th 2006, 4:40 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rene:

You told the OP why she thought the way she did.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 4:42 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

What is the basis of the LEGAL conclusion you posit in the first sentence? I'm an experienced lawyer and this is one of those questions that I think can't be answered conclusively -- kind of a grey area IMHO.

Don't look grey to me from my chair. You need a basis for the eligibility to receive an EAD. The OP has no basis for eligibility because of his denied I-485. Looks black and while from here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.