Wikiposts

AOS I-184 or I-184EZ??

Old Jun 4th 2010, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

badlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to all
Default AOS I-184 or I-184EZ??

I'm trying to fill out the AOS and I'm not sure whether I need the I-184 or I-184EZ.

My annual income alone is 125% above the poverty rate. I do not plan to use my UKC husband's income or any assets.

Thing is, I've only been employed for 3 months so far. I also didn't fie taxes for 2009 because I didn't have a job (was finishing university). I think the last time I actually filed taxes was 2007... maybe 2008.

Would this stuff be a problem for filing an I-184ez without including assets? What should I do? It says on the forms to list my returns for the past 3 most recent years. For each recent year I didn't file, should I attach a written statement that I was in university and some proof? I'm not too sure what to do.

Or should I just file the I-184 and include stuff like bank account savings?

Any info is appreciated, thanks.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 2:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS I-184 or I-184EZ??

There are very specific qualifications to be able to file an I-864EZ. Have you read the EZ instructions? Do you fit the criteria?

If not, you'll need to do an I-864, attach proof of your current income and whatever your most recent tax returns are.

You don't need to include bank statements unless you are using the cash in the bank as an asset.

If you were in school the past couple of years and not earning enough income to warrant filing a tax return, you'll need to write a statement to that effect.

Rene
Old Jun 4th 2010, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

badlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Noorah101
There are very specific qualifications to be able to file an I-864EZ. Have you read the EZ instructions? Do you fit the criteria?

If not, you'll need to do an I-864, attach proof of your current income and whatever your most recent tax returns are.

You don't need to include bank statements unless you are using the cash in the bank as an asset.

If you were in school the past couple of years and not earning enough income to warrant filing a tax return, you'll need to write a statement to that effect.

Rene

Thanks for the reply. Trying to get this thing out as soon as I can. Yes, there are 3 requirements to be eligible to send the EZ. They are, 1) being the petitioner, 2) using only my income, not hubby's or assets, and 3) the sponsored immigrant is the only one immigrating.

I fall under these three categories, so technically I am eligible to use the form. However, the question was whether or not it'd be wise to. I know I at least have some returns from 2007, and vaguely remember 2008 (I didn't work too much throughout school). Should I even bother going back before 2007, since that will be the last 3 years anyway? And just stick with that year's return and writing about being in school and not working.

My income is over the 125% above poverty rate, as I said... I would hope this would obviously be sufficient and the tax returns won't be a huge issue. And I'll get pay stubs from the last 3 months I've been employed at my current job.

Sorry, my thoughts are all over the place. Thanks for your help as always.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 3:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you meet this requirement?

The income you are using to qualify is based entirely on
your salary or pension and is shown on one or more Forms
W-2 provided by your employer
(s) or former employer

If your job is only a few months old, it doesn't seem like you'd have a W-2 from 2009. Do you?

Rene
Old Jun 4th 2010, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Do you meet this requirement?

The income you are using to qualify is based entirely on
your salary or pension and is shown on one or more Forms
W-2 provided by your employer
(s) or former employer

If your job is only a few months old, it doesn't seem like you'd have a W-2 from 2009. Do you?

Rene
Nope, I don't. Haha, thank you! I guess it's I-184 for me. Think I should also appoint a Joint Sponsor or not?
Old Jun 4th 2010, 3:26 pm

No, I don't think you need a Joint Sponsor. Your current income is over the 125%, so you should be OK. Do go ahead and write up the explanation of the missing tax returns, though.

And I agree, I think the I-864 is the way to go.

Rene
Old Jun 4th 2010, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

No, I don't think you need a Joint Sponsor. Your current income is over the 125%, so you should be OK. Do go ahead and write up the explanation of the missing tax returns, though.

And I agree, I think the I-864 is the way to go.

Rene
Thanks for the help. One last question... I know it says "written" explanation, but should I type it up and then sign it? Everything else is so strict with these forums, so it's weird to see "written" now.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by badlydrawnmegan
Thanks for the help. One last question... I know it says "written" explanation, but should I type it up and then sign it? Everything else is so strict with these forums, so it's weird to see "written" now.
Either way is fine, just so it's legible and has an original signature.

Rene
Old Jun 5th 2010, 2:09 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by badlydrawnmegan
I guess it's I-184 for me.
Actually, it's an I-864. Rene has quietly corrected you with her posts, but you continue to use the wrong form number! I'm a lot more blunt than she is!

Ian
Old Jun 5th 2010, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Actually, it's an I-864. Rene has quietly corrected you with her posts, but you continue to use the wrong form number! I'm a lot more blunt than she is!

Ian
Hahaha, jesus. I mean, I know it is, but for some reason my fingers won't type it that way. I've got the form right here in front of me and everything. Oh, well. Thanks =P. I guess when you know what someone's talking about, you just read over it and so I don't notice little number changes.