Wikiposts

aos general questions

Old Aug 18th 2003, 6:57 am
Just Joined

ravensburger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default aos general questions

Over on visa wavier just married about to file for aos. I have all the relevant forms etc but in the packet sent by bcis there is conflicting info.

1. do I file to seattle office ( my local) or to the nebraska service center. It says one or the other depending on which sheet I read)

2. It asks on one sheet for the original I 94/ I 94w yet also has a sheet saying copies are ok if you included a signed letter swearing to their validity.

3. do I have to complete and send a medical exam with the papers or wait for them to contact me after filing.

I have tried the bcis helpline and they gave me totally different answers depending on who I spoke to one even telling me you cannot adjust at all. Is there a phone number for the local Seattle office as I have been unable to find one to ask them.

Thankyou all who reply
Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Trinity is an unknown quantity at this point

I also married on visa waiver. Here are my answers to your questions. It was my experience that the forms I downloaded from their site were up to date and correct. The ones they sent me in the mail were old and even not in use! (Not saying they did this to you. Check carefully.)

1. File with your local office. Seattle then, and NOT the Nebraska service center. If you read carefully in the latest version of the I-485, it answers this.

2. NEVER send them the original of anything. Send them a copy. If they want to see the original of something, I'm sure they'll ask in the interview. And as far as I know, you dont have to include a letter swearing to their validity, unless they've put that in recently, but it doesnt make sense because then you'd have to swear to the validity of birth certificate copies and passport copies and so on. I don't remember ever seeing a statement that asked for originals or a validity letter.

3. In the directions of the form, if submitting your application to a local office, the medical exam is due at the time of the AOS interview and does not have to be submitted with the application. It says this in the directions of the form as well.

I'm sure you've been to this page:
http://www.bcis.gov/graphics/fieldof...le/aboutus.htm

It doesnt have the answers youre looking for, nor does it have a phone number. I can't help you there.

Congratulations on your marriage and good luck in the process!
Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice
Default Re: aos general questions

Question and then we can help. When you entered this country, did you intend on getting married?

THanks

Originally posted by ravensburger
Over on visa wavier just married about to file for aos. I have all the relevant forms etc but in the packet sent by bcis there is conflicting info.

1. do I file to seattle office ( my local) or to the nebraska service center. It says one or the other depending on which sheet I read)

2. It asks on one sheet for the original I 94/ I 94w yet also has a sheet saying copies are ok if you included a signed letter swearing to their validity.

3. do I have to complete and send a medical exam with the papers or wait for them to contact me after filing.

I have tried the bcis helpline and they gave me totally different answers depending on who I spoke to one even telling me you cannot adjust at all. Is there a phone number for the local Seattle office as I have been unable to find one to ask them.

Thankyou all who reply
Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:57 am
Just Joined

ravensburger is an unknown quantity at this point

no we did not intend to get married. I was originally only coming for 2 weeks but relief from the ending of a messy court case with her ex husband led us to marriage etc.