Reload this Page >

AOS forms/Fees and timeline questions

AOS forms/Fees and timeline questions

Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Nadia423 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS forms/Fees and timeline questions

Hello again,

I'm back with more questions, and I'm sure some of these have been asked a million times over. I apologize in advance. I tried using the search on the board but obviously couldn't find the right keywords to find what I was looking for.

I'm trying to figure out what forms we should file if/when my boyfriend and I decide to get married. I'm new to the board so I'll quick recap my situation. I'm a U.S. citizen and my boyfriend is Moroccan. He is currently already in the U.S. and originally came here on a F-1 visa that has since expired. I checked the uscis website since this situation is different from when my ex husband and I married. I'm thinking we file the I-130, I-485 and I-765 concurrently. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Another question I have is if I am filing these all concurrently, what is the total cost we'd need to pay?

Lastly I know it's hard to say with uscis, but can anyone who's filed recently give an estimate on the timeline from filing your AOS until your interview date?

Thanks again!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS forms/Fees and timeline questions

Hi Nadia,

You are correct. You would file a complete AOS package consisting of:

I-130
I-485
G-325A's
I-765
I-131 (never mind this one if he overstayed, he shouldn't be traveling)
I-864
Complete medical done by a USCIS approved physician
Any backup evidence and paperwork required by each form

All the above forms and backup are filed together in one package, including the total fees.

The fee for the I-130 is $355.
The fee for AOS is $1,010 including biometrics, but not including the medical and other incidentals such as photos, copies, etc.

All the forms, instructions, and fees can be found at www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 21st 2008 at 3:49 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Nadia,

You are correct. You would file a complete AOS package consisting of:

I-130
I-485
G-325A's
I-765
I-131 (never mind this one if he overstayed, he shouldn't be traveling)
I-864
Complete medical done by a USCIS approved physician
Any backup evidence and paperwork required by each form

Total cost in fees for AOS = $1,010 including biometrics, but not including the medical and other incidentals such as photos, copies, etc.

All the forms, instructions, and fees can be found at www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms.

Rene
Hi:

You forgot the fee for the I-130.

On the "overstay" -- she said he was here on an F-1.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nadia423
Lastly I know it's hard to say with uscis, but can anyone who's filed recently give an estimate on the timeline from filing your AOS until your interview date?

Thanks again!
It totally depends on the backlog at your local office. You can go to www.uscis.gov, processing times, to look up an estimated processing time for the I-485 at your local office. It can range anywhere from a few months to a year or more.

Rene
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I remembered and changed my post. Ah, you are right about the F-1. Still, I wouldn't risk traveling, I guess, until I had my green card in hand.

Rene
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the speedy reply! I'll make a note of all of this. We're still working on trying to find a co-sponsor so for now things are on hold until we know we can get everything in order.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Hi:

So for the total fees we should pay the cost of each one listed on the forms?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You can check yourself against this list:
Guide for Adjusting Status - Including a Concurrent filing of the 1-130

Always check the 'Special Instructions' on each form download page. That is where the most up to date fee and mailing instructions are (these can change without notice).
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

No.

The $1010 includes the 485, 765 and 131 forms. The G-325A and the I-864 don't need fees.

On the advance parole, it is generally a good idea NOT to use it. However, there are cases where it is a BAD idea to use it. The F-1 suggests that he might fal in the former rather than the latter category -- but not knowing all the facts of your case -- I'm not advising you on that. I may be a lawyer, but I'm not YOUR lawyer.

"The trouble is all inside your head she said to me. The answer is easy if you take it logically. I'd like to help you in your struggle to be free." Paul Simon

"WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS TASK FORCE THIRTY FOUR RR THE WORLD WONDERS." Chester Nimitz
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:12 pm

No, you pay the fees as I described in my first post. Read the instructions for the I-485 carefully, it details what all is included in the $1,010 fee.

The I-130 is a separate fee of $355.

Rene
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:33 am
Just Joined

Hi:

No.

The $1010 includes the 485, 765 and 131 forms. The G-325A and the I-864 don't need fees.

On the advance parole, it is generally a good idea NOT to use it. However, there are cases where it is a BAD idea to use it. The F-1 suggests that he might fal in the former rather than the latter category -- but not knowing all the facts of your case -- I'm not advising you on that. I may be a lawyer, but I'm not YOUR lawyer.

Thanks again. Geez these fees have sure gone up in the last 5-6 years right?? Of course I never thought in a million years I'd be doing this again anyway. We wouldn't need the advanced parole anyway. He wouldn't want to risk trying to go home in the middle of this process anyway.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:54 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We wouldn't need the advanced parole anyway. He wouldn't want to risk trying to go home in the middle of this process anyway.
It's not just about "trying to go home"... even a day trip to Canada or Mexico is a bad idea, as is a cruise to the Caribbean or other such places.

Ian