Wikiposts

AOS Form Questions

Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:50 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS Form Questions

Originally Posted by katiekat
LeI'm confused again with that. Rene said that my mom DOESN'T need to fill out an I-864A because she makes no income.
In theory, she doesn't have to do an I-864A. JEff was saying she MIGHT have to, if you don't provide clear backup on whose income is whose (on your father's tax return). If your mom earns zero income, that should be pretty easy.

Maybe the best bet is to just send one I-864 for me and one for my father and then hope that they don't decide to do something strange and consider my father to be a part of my household... or... whatever?
I think that's the best thing to do right now. You do an I-864. Your father does an I-864 as a joint sponsor. With his I-864, include a clear table of his income, vs. your mother's income, if she has any. If she has none, perhaps include a clear statement stating so.

Rene
Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:00 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

She won't have to do an I-864A if you clearly demonstrate that she has no income. But if you present only a transcript of the joint tax return there's nothing to show that she does not have a portion of the joint income. And, since the joint income is what is shown, the case officer may then want I-864As from both of the joint parties. Your father needs to show that the joint income is infact his income and his income only.
I'm confused again with that. Rene said that my mom DOESN'T need to fill out an I-864A because she makes no income.

Social Security has nothing to do with it. This is immigration. Read the I-864 and its instructions, that is what controls the situation. Your father lives in the same residence as you and he is one of the close relatives who qualifies to be a Household Member by living in the same residence. You can treat him as a Household Member if you wish to, or if the case officer tells you that you have to.
And I have no idea if we can add my father as a member of my household because of Social Security... They consider me to be my own household, I'm on Disability and SSI and I can see a whole slew of issues arising if all of a sudden my father's income becomes part of my own because he's offering to support my husband financially should he at some point become a burden on the union.
If that's they way that you prefer, then by all means submit it that way. It may very well be accepted. But there is a chance that it may not be. People have reported that, when the case officer saw that the proposed Joint Sponsor lived in the same residence as the Sponsor, the case officer required that they instead be treated as a Household Member. I'm just saying to be prepared in case that happens to you.
Maybe the best bet is to just send one I-864 for me and one for my father and then hope that they don't decide to do something strange and consider my father to be a part of my household... or... whatever?
Regards, JEff
Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

katiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
She won't have to do an I-864A if you clearly demonstrate that she has no income. But if you present only a transcript of the joint tax return there's nothing to show that she does not have a portion of the joint income. And, since the joint income is what is shown, the case officer may then want I-864As from both of the joint parties. Your father needs to show that the joint income is infact his income and his income only.

Social Security has nothing to do with it. This is immigration. Read the I-864 and its instructions, that is what controls the situation. Your father lives in the same residence as you and he is one of the close relatives who qualifies to be a Household Member by living in the same residence. You can treat him as a Household Member if you wish to, or if the case officer tells you that you have to.

If that's they way that you prefer, then by all means submit it that way. It may very well be accepted. But there is a chance that it may not be. People have reported that, when the case officer saw that the proposed Joint Sponsor lived in the same residence as the Sponsor, the case officer required that they instead be treated as a Household Member. I'm just saying to be prepared in case that happens to you.

Regards, JEff
OH! Okay. Thanks for clearing it up. Sorry to be a bother with it all. I appreciate all the help you guys <3