Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS, EAD, and Filing Fees

AOS, EAD, and Filing Fees

Old Aug 22nd 2004, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

JessInUSA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS, EAD, and Filing Fees

Mack and I plan on filing the I-129 within the next few weeks, and once his K1 is obtained, filing for AOS and EAD right away.
I should first mention that he is from Canada, and I will be petitioning for him, as I am a United States citizen. We will marry and reside in the U.S.

My questions are as follows:
Does he file the AOS and EAD right after we marry?
How long, approx. does AOS and EAD take? (he would like to begin working asap)
Are there any fees besides the initial fee for the I-129, and the medical exam fee at the interview?

Any help is greatly appreciated, we would like to get this started as soon as possible.

-Jessica

Last edited by JessInUSA; Aug 22nd 2004 at 8:00 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 8:27 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS, EAD, and Filing Fees

Originally Posted by JessInUSA
Mack and I plan on filing the I-129 within the next few weeks, and once his K1 is obtained, filing for AOS and EAD right away.
I should first mention that he is from Canada, and I will be petitioning for him, as I am a United States citizen. We will marry and reside in the U.S.

Are there any fees besides the initial fee for the I-129, and the medical exam fee at the interview?

Any help is greatly appreciated, we would like to get this started as soon as possible.

-Jessica

Get yourself acquainted with the FAQ: http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1faq.htm

~ Jenney
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 8:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Once again Jenney is spot on with giving you the URL for the K-1 FAQ which is now housed courtesy of visajourney.com, a site you are familiar with.

Yes there are other fees. Besides the medical and visa fee itself, there is the fee for the I-129F and possibly a $25 fee to the RCMP for the police clearance. There might also be fees at the medical for any vaccinations Mack is missing. There is also the cost for the mandatory photos.

You can file for AOS and EAD and Advance Parole as soon as you are married and have the certified/registered marriage certificate that has been filed after your wedding. You cannot use the ceremonial certificate given by the officiant on the day of the ceremony.

EAD and AP can take from one month to six months. However, the EAD at maximum will take 90 days because on the 90th day after filing if he does not receive the EAD in the mail after going for biometrics he can go to Philly or Pittsburgh, not sure which office you have to use because I don't know where you live in PA, and demand the interim EAD.

He should apply for a social security card 2 weeks after entering the US. Even with an EAD he cannot work with a SS number.

Rete

Originally Posted by JessInUSA

-Jessica
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 12:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
He should apply for a social security card 2 weeks after entering the US. Even with an EAD he cannot work with a SS number.

Rete
Not to be nitpicky, but just thought I'd point out that Rete means "Even with an EAD he cannot work **without** a SS number."

Just didn't want anyone to be confused.

Rene
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 1:24 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Not to be nitpicky, but just thought I'd point out that Rete means "Even with an EAD he cannot work **without** a SS number."

Just didn't want anyone to be confused.

Rene
Please nit and pick on any errors or typos you find from me or anyone else Rene. that is the beauty of an open forum ... the truth shall be know (if possible) ;-)

Rete