Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS, EAD & AP - What I Filed (detailed!)

Wikiposts

AOS, EAD & AP - What I Filed (detailed!)

Old Oct 30th 2003, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of
Default AOS, EAD & AP - What I Filed (detailed!)

I know it has been posted before in a variety of different ways by different people, BUT...!

...the following is a complete list of what I filed for my Adjustment of Status Package (AOS), including Employment Authorization (EAD) and Advance Parole (AP). Everything was filed with the Providence Sub Office:

I-485 - AOS
Completed Form I-485 - Adjustment of Status
- Covering Letter saying what was enclosed
- *Cheque for filing I-485 ($255) (made payable to BCIS)
- *Cheque for Fingerprinting ($50) (made payable to BCIS)
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Copy of Passport Page with Immigrant Visa
- **2 Photos (3/4 Profile with Name & A# on back in pencil)
- Copy of Police Certificate
- Copy of Vaccination History Record from my Doctors in England
- G-325A - Biographic Information Sheet
- Copy of Form I-94 Departure Record (front & back)
- I-864 - Affidavit of Support from Husband
- Tax Returns from the last 3 Years from Husband
- Letter from Husband’s Employer confirming employment dates & salary
- Copy of I-797 - Petition Approval Notice
- Copy of Marriage Certificate
- Copy of Divorce Certificate from my previous marriage
- Signed Statement regarding Photocopies
- Stamped Addressed Envelope for Receipt

I-765 - Employment Authorization
- *Cheque for filing I-765 ($120) (made payable to BCIS)
- Form I-765 Signature Card
- **2 Photos (3/4 profile with Name & A# on back in pencil)
- Copy of I-485 saying “simultaneously filed with I-765�

I-131 - Advance Parole
- Covering Letter explaining why AP was needed and saying what was enclosed
- *Cheque for filing I-131 ($110) (made payable to BCIS)
- Copy of Passport (Biographic Info & Page with Immigrant Visa)
- Signed Statement Regarding Photocopies

*All checks were Bank Checks (certified cashiers) as, at the time of our filing, the Providence Sub Office doesn’t accept personal checks.

**I had my ADIT pictures taken at Photo Quick in Cranston, RI. They knew exactly what they were doing (even had the BCIS Photo Specification sheet on the wall!) and I was charged $15 for four photos.

EXTRA NOTES
  • I filed this application using my married name.
  • I organised all documents in the order they were requested on the Application Instructions.
  • In case they got separated from the rest of the application, I wrote my name, Alien number and details of the form it was filed with (i.e. I-485 Application), on each photocopy that it didn’t already appear on.
  • I placed the photos for each application in a resealable sandwich bag (cheap and easy!)
  • I included each complete application in its own envelope with a covering letter, then put everything in one big envelope with a covering letter saying what was enclosed!
  • I sent the whole package by Certified Mail with Return Receipt.
I found the following website useful in completing my application - it gives examples of completed forms:
http://k1.exit.com/forms7.html

This group has provided me with invaluable support and help and I can’t thank you all enough. If the information provided above helps someone else, it’s the least I can do!

Good luck!

PS. Don’t forget to check, check and double check everything and take photocopies of EVERYTHING for your own records
Old Oct 30th 2003, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Rukhie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AOS, EAD & AP - What I Filed (detailed!)

Originally posted by Karen D
I know it has been posted before in a variety of different ways by different people, BUT...!

...the following is a complete list of what I filed for my Adjustment of Status Package (AOS), including Employment Authorization (EAD) and Advance Parole (AP). Everything was filed with the Providence Sub Office:

I-485 - AOS

I-131 - Advance Parole

*All checks were Bank Checks (certified cashiers) as, at the time of our filing, the Providence Sub Office doesn’t accept personal checks.

**I had my ADIT pictures taken at Photo Quick in Cranston, RI. They knew exactly what they were doing (even had the BCIS Photo Specification sheet on the wall!) and I was charged $15 for four photos.

EXTRA NOTES
  • I organised all documents in the order they were requested on the Application Instructions.
  • In case they got separated from the rest of the application, I wrote my name, Alien number and details of the form it was filed with (i.e. I-485 Application), on each photocopy that it didn’t already appear on.
  • I placed the photos for each application in a resealable sandwich bag (cheap and easy!)
  • I included each complete application in its own envelope with a covering letter, then put everything in one big envelope with a covering letter saying what was enclosed!
I found the following website useful in completing my application - it gives examples of completed forms:

This group has provided me with invaluable support and help and I can’t thank you all enough. If the information provided above helps someone else, it’s the least I can do!

Good luck!

PS. Don’t forget to check, check and double check everything and take photocopies of EVERYTHING for your own records
Karen,
You're awesome!!! Thanks! I"m gonna be needing this info in a few months myself!

Rukhie:-)
Old Oct 30th 2003, 6:27 am
foxy little minx

bequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Rukhie
Karen,
You're awesome!!! Thanks! I"m gonna be needing this info in a few months myself!

Rukhie:-)

Me too, thanks!
Old Oct 30th 2003, 6:28 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Karen D [*]I included each complete application in its own envelope with a covering letter, then put everything in one big envelope with a covering letter saying what was enclosed!
Looks like you're the more organized one! Sounds very impressive the way you got everything together.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Steffi
Looks like you're the more organized one! Sounds very impressive the way you got everything together.
It is thanks to you too Steffi!

PS. Even after checking everything a hundred times, I was still shaking when I handed it to the Post Office Clerk!!
Old Oct 30th 2003, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

I-485 - AOS

I-131 - Advance Parole

EXTRA NOTES

Good luck!

I do recall the US embassy taking my police record and I never got it back.
Does this mean I am in trouble?

Thanks for posting this, this is really handy.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by veryfunny

Thanks for posting this, this is really handy.
Did they take the original? Did you not provide a photocopy?

You are going to need it again for AOS so hopefully you have a copy somewhere!
Old Oct 30th 2003, 6:43 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by veryfunny
Hmmmm...I got my police record back from the embassy. I'm kind of worried for you that it may mean you're in trouble.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 6:51 am
Kae
Forum Regular

Kae is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for posting this in such a simple easy to read format. Writen out like this it's much easier to divide everything into steps to be done, which makes things much less over-whelming. Thank you again for taking the time to write this out.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 6:57 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, Karen, this is a great thing you've done, and thank you!! Can I borrow your brain this weekend when I need to sort out and organize my K-1 application materials? Looks like you've got the brain I'm looking for! :-)

I'll be referring to your post next year for sure!!

Thanks Again,
Rene
Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:19 am
Charlie Tuna

CharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of light

You are golden, I'm copying this to a file now so I have it handy for my AOS etc.
Many thanks
Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

NevAnna is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much for your effort with these details My husband is getting ready to file AOS and EAD on Monday. This helps, tremendously! We had to wait around and make sure I wasn't going to transfer with my company. Thought it best to not file AOS and move to another state. Turns out, we'll be in Misery, er Missouri, a while longer Thanks, again!
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Epitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to all

You are an organizational goddess. I am prepping my AOS packet as I read.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Glad to be of assistance!

Dear All

Thanks for your kind comments and I am glad that my post will be of assistance to you in the future

All this information is available through reading the forms provided and from other people's posts, but after many hours searching and reading, I thought it made sense to have all the information in one place for quick and easy reference! Remember, still read the forms thoroughly yourselves though

Rene, I think my brain is shot now, after all that organizing

PS. One final tip - Don't use staples! Apparently BCIS don't like staples, check out this link for assemby advice from them:

http://www.bcis.gov/graphics/fieldof...al/index.htm#H
Old Oct 31st 2003, 2:25 am
K1 via London

Default Re: Glad to be of assistance!

PS. One final tip - Don't use staples! Apparently BCIS don't like staples, check out this link for assemby advice from them:

http://www.bcis.gov/graphics/fieldof...al/index.htm#H
Damn it, of course I had to use staples.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.