Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS Documents - What to bring?

Wikiposts

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 7:59 am
Mrs. Yank

Petra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to all
Default AOS Documents - What to bring?

Thanks people, for all the encouragement we received here!
I can tell you that the paperwork we're collecting for our upcoming AOS interview (August 14th) is coming along nicely.
I got bank letters and letters of employment, we're still waiting on a few other items, but most things on the INS list are no problem.

From the latest posts here I have learned that most interviewers have no interest in seeing photo albums anymore, so it looks as if the INS is interested in 'official' paperwork only, like letters that state that we have a joint bank account, that we have each other as beneficiaries on various types of insurance etc.

But I feel that this doesn't 'proof' much. Not that we live together and certainly not that this is 'true' love! Okay, maybe I'm just a little sensitive about the whole AOS interview *S* Be my guest and just call me crazy *S*

Yesterday, when we drove home from church, my husband and I were talking about my idea to ask the church to write a letter on our behalf, stating that we attend TOGETHER every week. Don't you think that this would proof much more?

Anyway, long story short - I'm very curious what kind of 'other' paperwork couples brought for THEIR interviews.... if any!
Old Jul 22nd 2002, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Camerican is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AOS Documents - What to bring?

Hi Petra

I know how you feel. We just applied for adjustment of status and reading through the appointment letter for our interview, it felt really weird to have to prove we're really married for marriage sake, and not to get a green card. We're not marrying to get a green card, but getting a green card BECAUSE we're married. Take heart, I'm sure everything will be just fine; and someday the whole process will be just a memory. May your marriage be lifelong and blessed!

Side note: I plan to get a letter from our pastors also, and from my father in law who IS a pastor and married us himself!

Camerican Girl

Originally posted by Petra

Thanks people, for all the encouragement we received here!
I can tell you that the paperwork we're collecting for our upcoming AOS interview (August 14th) is coming along nicely.
I got bank letters and letters of employment, we're still waiting on a few other items, but most things on the INS list are no problem.

From the latest posts here I have learned that most interviewers have no interest in seeing photo albums anymore, so it looks as if the INS is interested in 'official' paperwork only, like letters that state that we have a joint bank account, that we have each other as beneficiaries on various types of insurance etc.

But I feel that this doesn't 'proof' much. Not that we live together and certainly not that this is 'true' love! Okay, maybe I'm just a little sensitive about the whole AOS interview *S* Be my guest and just call me crazy *S*

Yesterday, when we drove home from church, my husband and I were talking about my idea to ask the church to write a letter on our behalf, stating that we attend TOGETHER every week. Don't you think that this would proof much more?

Anyway, long story short - I'm very curious what kind of 'other' paperwork couples brought for THEIR interviews.... if any!
Old Jul 22nd 2002, 1:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS Documents - What to bring?

Hi Petra

Congratulations on getting an interview date. I have to say your observations differ from what I have observed. INS has always been interested in the "paper chase" as far as I can see. As for photos, don't bring an entire album but a select few and choose one that you are willing to "give up" for your file. We scanned one in the computer and printed out in color for their keepsake of our wedding. They prefer a frontal shot of the couple.

As for the paperwork, we gave them a copy of our subscription to the Bronx Zoo and Wildlife Conservatory. Also gave them front pages of magazine subscriptions with both our names on it. Another thing we added was a "welcome to the club" newsletter for a social club we joined and records from our bowling league showing us as participants on the same league.

Your thought of having your pastor write a letter for you is good. While we don't participate in a formal religious institution, sounds like a stand up type of confirmation of your joint lives together.

My personal rule of thumb is to include anything and everything you feel shows your status as a couple. Of course, don't negligent the offical documents such as utility bills, leases, deeds, insurances, employer letters, beneficiary declarations, joint tax returns, etc.

Good luck

Rete