Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS Denied while Outside USA on Adv Parole

Wikiposts

AOS Denied while Outside USA on Adv Parole

Old Jul 3rd 2009, 4:56 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS Denied while Outside USA on Adv Parole

Originally Posted by JCraigFong
It is exactly BECAUSE there is no appeal of an denied I-485 that this question arises.

An MTR may be a possibility here, but the issue of the alien's being outside the USA is problematic.

--J

I recall reading about a case with the same details as you posted a few years back. Happened here in Westchester County, NY. Yes, the applicant left with valid AP, had AOS denied prior to return, was denied entry at the POE because AP was no longer valid. If memory serves me well, she was only allowed back after intervention by her local congressperson.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 5:25 am
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS Denied while Outside USA on Adv Parole

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi All:
Also, a pointer in reading case law -- one that I often have to make to non-lawyer adjudicators -- much in the way of immigration case law from the courts is in the nature of "you are allowed to do this." Many adjudicators then transform this into "you must do this." Re-read that case and you will see that this has happened here. This is not meant as criticism -- as I say, it is a common error.
The more I try and understand immigration law (and how it's applied / interpreted / translated by some adjudicators) the more I realize just how convoluted, confusing, subjective, individual case dependent, and often just plain Alice in Wonderland viewed via a kaleidescope on acid it can be! From a layman's perspective it seems to be a never-ending saga of statute v's 'regulations' (which themselves are subject to change and individual interpretation!) USCIS is truly a beast of a bureaucracy worthy of placement in a Kafka novel.

Originally Posted by crg14624
AILA and DHS should be locked into a hotel for as long as it takes to outline as many scenarios as possible until it's clear to everyone.
You could bet your life that no matter how many years they spent in the 'room' the second they emerged they would be back to square one!