Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS appt yesterday - Approved!!

Wikiposts

AOS appt yesterday - Approved!!

Old Dec 21st 2004, 3:04 am
Deb

Talking AOS appt yesterday - Approved!!

Well, hubby had his AOS interview yesterday in Cincinnati. Everything went extremely well. We were very prepared and arrived at the 9:00 appointment around 8:30 with a notebook of organized items, originals and copies of all materials listed in the letter to us, plus items verifying our relationship and joint accounts, wedding and other photos from the past two years. and envelopes with postage date stamps from our time apart. They called hubby's name promptly at 9:00.

The woman, named Sara I think, was extremely nice, very organized. She verified our identification and personal details (DOB, nationality, address, etc), then went through the list of questions on the original AOS form we submitted (are you a terrorist, have you ever murdered anyone, do you plan to practice polygamy, etc). Then the only other things she asked us basically were "How did you meet each other?" and "How did you manage a long distance relationship?"

She asked if we had letters from our employers verifying employment and we gave her those. She asked if we had copies of things verifying our joint relationship, and I gave her copies of our joint checking/savings accounts, our life insurance policies listing beneficiaries, our joint utilities account statements. She hole-punched those and added them to our folder. Then she entered some information on our records via the computer, stamped her passport, took he EAD card, and explained that that stamp serves as his approval to travel in and out of country, work, etc, until we get his green card in 6-10 weeks. At this point I asked if he needed the medical exam results (in the sealed envelope) and she took those and added to the folder. I asked if she needed the updated affadavit of support and she said no, that it wasn't needed.

We were approved, out of the office and driving out of the parking garage at 9:35 a.m. It went really well.

We are very happy and relieved. I'd driven to Canada this weekend to pick up his two daughters for the week and we'll be taking them back together on Saturday morning. For those who want to know, here's our timeline. As you can see we did not file via the fiance visa 129 route, but married and filed that way instead. There was no mention of that during the interview and it did not seem to be an issue at all in the process. That doesn't mean that will be that way for everyone, but for us, this worked out really well. Thanks everyone for all the info you post here, it was extremely helpful during this entire process. And good luck to everyone out there still waiting.

Happy Holidays!! (Whatever holiday you celebrate!!!)

Deb

We met: In Toronto on July 13, 2001
Married: January 31, 2004
Filed I-130, 485 and 765 via Cincinnati office: February 23, 2004 (NOA date)
Received NOA: May 4, 2004
Received Interim EAD via Cincinnati office: June 10
Received Social Security Card in mail: June 28
Received 1-year EAD card: August 8
Received Form/Request for Initial AOS Interview: October 29
AOS Interview and received approval - December 20, 2004

Old Dec 21st 2004, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

haozi101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AOS appt yesterday - Approved!!

Congratulations on AOS approval. I will be going through Cincinnati office too. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Old Dec 21st 2004, 4:49 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your success.

May I ask that you post that experience on the official experience pages located at the URL which is part of my BE signature.

Thanks.

Rete

Originally Posted by Deb
Well, hubby had his AOS interview yesterday in Cincinnati. Everything went extremely well. We were very prepared and arrived at the 9:00 appointment around 8:30 with a notebook of organized items, originals and copies of all materials listed in the letter to us, plus items verifying our relationship and joint accounts, wedding and other photos from the past two years. and envelopes with postage date stamps from our time apart. They called hubby's name promptly at 9:00.

The woman, named Sara I think, was extremely nice, very organized. She verified our identification and personal details (DOB, nationality, address, etc), then went through the list of questions on the original AOS form we submitted (are you a terrorist, have you ever murdered anyone, do you plan to practice polygamy, etc). Then the only other things she asked us basically were "How did you meet each other?" and "How did you manage a long distance relationship?"

She asked if we had letters from our employers verifying employment and we gave her those. She asked if we had copies of things verifying our joint relationship, and I gave her copies of our joint checking/savings accounts, our life insurance policies listing beneficiaries, our joint utilities account statements. She hole-punched those and added them to our folder. Then she entered some information on our records via the computer, stamped her passport, took he EAD card, and explained that that stamp serves as his approval to travel in and out of country, work, etc, until we get his green card in 6-10 weeks. At this point I asked if he needed the medical exam results (in the sealed envelope) and she took those and added to the folder. I asked if she needed the updated affadavit of support and she said no, that it wasn't needed.

We were approved, out of the office and driving out of the parking garage at 9:35 a.m. It went really well.

We are very happy and relieved. I'd driven to Canada this weekend to pick up his two daughters for the week and we'll be taking them back together on Saturday morning. For those who want to know, here's our timeline. As you can see we did not file via the fiance visa 129 route, but married and filed that way instead. There was no mention of that during the interview and it did not seem to be an issue at all in the process. That doesn't mean that will be that way for everyone, but for us, this worked out really well. Thanks everyone for all the info you post here, it was extremely helpful during this entire process. And good luck to everyone out there still waiting.

Deb

Old Dec 21st 2004, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely christmas present , no?

Congratulations mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Deb

Deb