British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   AOS approved by mail after request for more documents at AOS Interview - pls. clarify (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/aos-approved-mail-after-request-more-documents-aos-interview-pls-clarify-234862/)

fun Jun 7th 2004 3:05 am

AOS approved by mail after request for more documents at AOS Interview - pls. clarify

Hi,

I went for my AOS interview and the officer told me I should send additional documents by mail. I sent this and I received a letter saying that my AOS has been approved and I should receive a greencard in mail in 6 months. I wonder if anyone has been in a similar situation and how long did it take after the AOS was approved for the green card to come.

Also, shouldn't I get a stamp in the passport....there is no mention of that unless I want a temporary stamp....please help....

I would also like to thank everyone for their extensive guidance, who answered my questions about what to send..........when I was applying for AOS.

Thanks.

Rete Jun 7th 2004 3:13 am

Re: AOS approved by mail after request for more documents at AOS Interview - pls. clarify

Originally posted by fun
Hi,

I went for my AOS interview and the officer told me I should send additional documents by mail. I sent this and I received a letter saying that my AOS has been approved and I should receive a greencard in mail in 6 months. I wonder if anyone has been in a similar situation and how long did it take after the AOS was approved for the green card to come.

Also, shouldn't I get a stamp in the passport....there is no mention of that unless I want a temporary stamp....please help....

I would also like to thank everyone for their extensive guidance, who answered my questions about what to send..........when I was applying for AOS.

Thanks.

If you want or need the stamp for travel purposes and/or continued proof of employment eligibility then by all means go to the district office with your passport, identification and approval letter and get the I-551 stamp in your passport. If you do not need it for any of the above, then you don't have to go for it.

Regardless if approved at the time of the interview or after the interview, the time wait for the green card is the same for everyone ... 1 week to 12 months. Average time wait appears to be 2 months.

Rete

andrea874 Jun 7th 2004 12:16 pm

Re: AOS approved by mail after request for more documents at AOS Interview - pls. clarify

Originally posted by fun
Hi,

Thanks.
out of curiosity, what kind of additional documents did they need?

fun Jun 7th 2004 12:50 pm

They asked for additional documents for maritial relationship.

I sent them copies of the deed of the house, utility bills and bank statements. I was underprepared at the interview.

fun Jun 7th 2004 12:51 pm

Out of curiosity....how does that affect my citizenship......what date should I consider for my citizenship since I don't get a stamp in the passport....is it the approval date?

Thanks.

PEACHSTER Jun 7th 2004 1:13 pm

Originally posted by fun
They asked for additional documents for maritial relationship.

I sent them copies of the deed of the house, utility bills and bank statements. I was underprepared at the interview.

What documents, etc. did you take to the interview?

LucyMO Jun 7th 2004 2:46 pm

Originally posted by fun
Out of curiosity....how does that affect my citizenship......what date should I consider for my citizenship since I don't get a stamp in the passport....is it the approval date?

Thanks.
yes, it's the approval date.

fun Jun 8th 2004 1:38 am

I took the originals of all the documents I submitted when I applied for AOS. I only took bank statements and photographs s proof of maritial relationship. They need more. I then submitted utility bills, house deed and bank statements. That should be sufficient. It seems like if you have bank statements, utility bills and photographs, that is what they are looking for. Hope this helps.

PEACHSTER Jun 8th 2004 2:57 am

Originally posted by fun
I took the originals of all the documents I submitted when I applied for AOS. I only took bank statements and photographs s proof of maritial relationship. They need more. I then submitted utility bills, house deed and bank statements. That should be sufficient. It seems like if you have bank statements, utility bills and photographs, that is what they are looking for. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.