AOS approved after DUI

Old Dec 19th 2006, 9:12 am
Max
Forum Regular

Max is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up AOS approved after DUI

Applied for AOS in Pittsburgh, PA after coming here on J-1 Visa:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122754

I had been out-of-status for nearly 18 months when I-485, I-130, I-765 were filed. At that time, i had 1 DUI + on my record.

I spent many hours reading and reading and reading everything about AOS on uscis web site, aila, british expats and so many other places.
Even if it doesnot seem very difficult to fill out I-485, I-130,... I hired a lawyer because an AOS is a situation where one wont have a chance to screw it up twice. It was well worth the money I paid for.

(Note: btw i had a couple of renamed immigration lawyers offices in Pittsburgh who do not even return calls/messages when they hear the word DUI).

All courts records were provided with I-485 application as well as the receipt from DUI school I attended in Oakland, CA. I did understand in the process that uscis wants to see on official paper with stamp (certified copies) police charges, court disposition and sentence. If some charges are dropped, they will not be counted towards the "uscis criminal credit". If the court record contains some conditional sentence as is in my case, they want to see proof that rehabilitation (DUI school) has been completed.

The work authorization came in the mail 4 months after filing.

No one knows for sure in advance what surprise to expect at interview.
We had a couple of them... The usual suspects came at the beginning... where did you meet, were you married before, etc...
During the course of the interview, my lawyer had to interrupt usics official and let him know very politely that his question
"was not relevant". In fact, it was clearly civil liberties violation and i was about to answer agressively. Thanks to my lawyer who calmed down the atmosphere in the room, the rest of interview did not go too bad. My guess is that without a lawyer present at the interview, it would have turned into a brawl... and I probably would be in jail right now awaiting expulsion !!!

We then managed to answer all questions on the 2 RFE received six and 12 months later and when my lawyer did not know what to know, he immediatly contacted uscis or some of his collegues to get clarification.

AOS Approval came in ~ a month after last RFE.

I can never thank my lawyer enough for beeing a persuasive diplomat. He's been very friendly in the whole process and did not back out when we receive almost-unsolvable RFEs, i remember he also came in person with me to uscis office to claim my work authorization card when it did not show up in the mail after 90 days.

I also have no problem recommending him, his name is Piyush SETH, Seth Law Associates and his office is located downtown pittsburgh.

It took ~18 months from filing to approval.

MaX

Last edited by Max; Dec 19th 2006 at 10:24 am.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS approved after DUI

So don't keep us in suspense...what was the question that was a violation of civil liberties?

Originally Posted by Max
Applied for AOS in Pittsburgh, PA after coming here on J-1 Visa:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122754

I had been out-of-status for nearly 18 months when I-485, I-130, I-765 were filed. At that time, i had 1 DUI + on my record.

I spent many hours reading and reading and reading everything about AOS on uscis web site, aila, british expats and so many other places.
Even if it doesnot seem very difficult to fill out I-485, I-130,... I hired a lawyer because an AOS is a situation where one wont have a chance to screw it up twice. It was well worth the money I paid for.

(Note: btw i had a couple of renamed immigration lawyers offices in Pittsburgh who do not even return calls/messages when they hear the word DUI).

All courts records were provided with I-485 application as well as the receipt from DUI school I attended in Oakland, CA. I did understand in the process that uscis wants to see on official paper with stamp (certified copies) police charges, court disposition and sentence. If some charges are dropped, they will not be counted towards the "uscis criminal credit". If the court record contains some conditional sentence as is in my case, they want to see proof that rehabilitation (DUI school) has been completed.

The work authorization came in the mail 4 months after filing.

No one knows for sure in advance what surprise to expect at interview.
We had a couple of them... The usual suspects came at the beginning... where did you meet, were you married before, etc...
During the course of the interview, my lawyer had to interrupt usics official and let him know very politely that his question
"was not relevant". In fact, it was clearly civil liberties violation and i was about to answer agressively. Thanks to my lawyer who calmed down the atmosphere in the room, the rest of interview did not go too bad. My guess is that without a lawyer present at the interview, it would have turned into a brawl... and I probably would be in jail right now awaiting expulsion !!!

We then managed to answer all questions on the 2 RFE received six and 12 months later and when my lawyer did not know what to know, he immediatly contacted uscis or some of his collegues to get clarification.

AOS Approval came in ~ a month after last RFE.

I can never thank my lawyer enough for beeing a persuasive diplomat. He's been very friendly in the whole process and did not back out when we receive almost-unsolvable RFEs, i remember he also came in person with me to uscis office to claim my work authorization card when it did not show up in the mail after 90 days.

I also have no problem recommending him, his name is Piyush SETH, Seth Law Associates and his office is located downtown pittsburgh.

It took ~18 months from filing to approval.

MaX
Old Dec 20th 2006, 7:24 am
Max
Forum Regular

Max is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AOS approved after DUI

Among others, interviewer asked us if i had bred or was used to breed with people of different races. I dont know if that was intented but it makes me jump and very unconfortable. My lawyer told the interviewer that this cannot bring pertinent or relevant information to the case. At this point, i think the interviewer understood he just made a mistake and then did not ask any more questions about preference or previous relationships.

Originally Posted by dakota44
So don't keep us in suspense...what was the question that was a violation of civil liberties?

Last edited by Max; Dec 20th 2006 at 7:40 am.