Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS Approval Without Interview LA

Wikiposts

AOS Approval Without Interview LA

Old Aug 29th 2005, 7:29 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS Approval Without Interview LA

CB,

You seem to be reading too much into my post.

I did not say that California has been approving AOS applications without interview. I said that I have seen reports that some poeple have been approved for adjustment without interview, and that my sense was that these instances have been coming from the CSC.

There's a subtle, but real, difference. Rete got the right understanding.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
I've seen mentioned on here that California have recently been approving AOS applications without interview. Anyone know how true that is?

My question related to a post by jeffreyhy here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2727977

What I wanted to know was whether it affected me. I'm in LA and I filed my AOS in June. Just wondered whether they were approving the AOS without interviewing the applicants. If yes then I'm assuming that could speed up the process too.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

JJ&ST is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: AOS Approval Without Interview LA

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Steffi:

JJ&ST is STILL subject to the condition. That is a matter of law, not the I-551 that is issued. She should still file the I-751 when the time comes. If she doesn't, there might be problems at N-400 time.

Thanks for all your advise, I will check that out with the Atlanta office,Filing I-751 to remove condition would be no problem when the time comes. GC is GC. Its not going to be issued twice. The big deal now is that I have my Green Card in my wallet as I write. Mistake or no mistake I have my GC. Those who haven't got theirs should be patient and be prayerful instead of getting themselves in unnecessary frenzy and worked up. Doors of opportunities are already opening for me with a flash of my GC. God bless America.

Last edited by JJ&ST; Aug 29th 2005 at 10:13 am.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JJ&ST
Thanks for all your advise, I will check that out with the Atlanta office,Filing I-751 to remove condition would be no problem when the time comes. GC is GC. Its not going to be issued twice. The big deal now is that I have my Green Card in my wallet as I write. Mistake or no mistake I have my GC. Those who haven't got theirs should be patient and be prayerful instead of getting themselves in unnecessary frenzy. Doors of opportunities are already opening for me with a flash of my GC. God bless America.
I'm not sure, but when you do remove the conditions in 2 years, I imagine they will produce a new GC for you, which shows a validity of the NEXT 10 years, which would be correct.

Rene
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:22 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Olivier Wagner
The law says that they have to have an interview before having an
unconditional PR card - that means that they can approve the I-485 without
interview, but they would then have to interview them when they remove the
conditions ; And if they don't, who's going to complain?
Hi:

Read ALL of section 216, especially 216(d)(3). The law states that the applicant MUST be interviewed and within 90 days UNLESS the "Attorney General" [translate to "Secretary of Homeland Security" now] conducts the interview after 90 days or dispenses with it altogether.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I'm not sure, but when you do remove the conditions in 2 years, I imagine they will produce a new GC for you, which shows a validity of the NEXT 10 years, which would be correct.

Rene

what do you mean by "validity of the next ten years? Are saying my GC is invalid?
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:29 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

what do you mean by "validity of the next ten years? Are saying my GC is invalid?
Hi JJ&ST,

I think yours is the case where you got approved before your second wedding anniversary, but you received a 10-year GC, correct?

If I'm incorrect, and your GC is the 2-year one, never mind my comments.

If I'm correct, then you will still need to remove conditions in two years minus 90 days, regardless of the fact that your current GC says valid for 10 years. Your current GC is valid, yes...and should have been the Conditional 2-year card. I'm just saying once you apply to remove conditions, I'm sure you will be called in to get your new GC which will be the 10-year one, and will be valid from that date on, for 10 more years.

You're fine for now...just don't forget to remove conditions if you received approval before your second wedding anniversary.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Aug 29th 2005 at 10:31 am.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 3:20 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
CB,

There's a subtle, but real, difference.

Regards, JEff
Can you explain because I'm still not sure I'm understanding the difference.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 5:16 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

CB,

Saying that 'a few exceptions to the rule have been reported, and when they occur they seem to come from the CSC', is not the same as saying 'the CSC is now approving without interview'.

The important concept of rare and unusual is lost in the latter phrasing.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Can you explain because I'm still not sure I'm understanding the difference.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 5:30 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
CB,

Saying that 'a few exceptions to the rule have been reported, and when they occur they seem to come from the CSC', is not the same as saying 'the CSC is now approving without interview'.

The important concept of rare and unusual is lost in the latter phrasing.

Regards, JEff
I didn't say that???
Old Sep 8th 2005, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Attn: Noorah and Foliyinska

Reference to your comment on my case of receiving a GC before my 2nd anniversary. I have two collaborating references. One, I made an InfoPass on 8/7/05 to the Atlanta Office to speak with an Immigration Officer. he told me thats its not unusual to approve cases or to receive GC before 2nd anniversary. He said that it depends on the case and reasons to warrant a GC without conditions. That he does not know the reason for my case. That all they can do make an inquiry. But that as I receive a GC without any 2yr condition that the GC remains valid for 10 years as stated. That I have no reason to file any Removal of condition when one was not placed. that it will never be an issue during my N-400 because there was no condition. He said I can only have problem during N-400 if i had 2yr condition and failed to remove condition at the right time.

Secondly, I succeeded today getting through to the INS, 800 number The officer said that if I have 10 yrs granted to me without condition, then that is it. That I can only file a removal if I got 2yrs. That such cases of waiving condition is not unusual.That there must be a reason. This collaborated the InfoPass visit.

Based on the two enquiries and responses, do you two guys have anything more to offer ?

Last edited by JJ&ST; Sep 8th 2005 at 7:40 am.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 7:38 am

Reference to your comment on my case of receiving a GC before my 2nd anniversary. I have two collaborating references. One, I made an InfoPass on 8/7/05 to the Atlanta Office to speak with an Immigration Officer. he told me thats its not usual to approve cases or to receive GC before 2nd anniversary. He said that it depends on the case and reasons to warrant a GC without conditions. That he does not know the reason for my case. That all they can do make an inquiry. But that as I receive a GC without any 2yr condition that the GC remains valid for 10 years as stated. That I have no reason to file any Removal of condition when one was not placed.

Secondly, I succeeded to today to get through the INS, 800 number The officer said that if I have 10 yrs granted to me without condition, then that is it. That I can only file a removal if I got 2yrs. That such cases of waiving condition is not unusual.That there must be a reason. This collaborated the InfoPass visit.
Hi JJ&ST,

Thanks for the update. Personally, I would still file removal of conditions, just in case. I would hate to jeopardize my status here for any reason. As far as I know, it is the law to be a CPR if less than 2 years of marriage have passed...and that conditions must be removed...but then again I'm not a lawyer. Interesting that they could make an exception in your case...I'd love to know the reason for the exception...I wonder if you could request that from USCIS somehow?

Anway, best wishes and good luck. :

Rene
Old Sep 8th 2005, 7:41 am

JJ&ST,

If I understood Mr.F's post correctly, what your status is and what your card says may be 2 different things. The card is supposed to reflect your status, it does not establish your status. And cards with incorrect information are not uncommon.

A frequent example - the card comes with a name spelled incorrectly. Does that change the person's name? No, it means that the card contains an error and should probably be replaced with a corrected card.

Regards, JEff

Reference to your comment on my case of receiving a GC before my 2nd anniversary. I have two collaborating references. One, I made an InfoPass on 8/7/05 to the Atlanta Office to speak with an Immigration Officer. he told me thats its not usual to approve cases or to receive GC before 2nd anniversary. He said that it depends on the case and reasons to warrant a GC without conditions. That he does not know the reason for my case. That all they can do make an inquiry. But that as I receive a GC without any 2yr condition that the GC remains valid for 10 years as stated. That I have no reason to file any Removal of condition when one was not placed. that it will never be an issue during my N-400 because there was no condition. He said I can only have problem during N-400 if i had 2yr condition and failed to remove condition at the right time.

Secondly, I succeeded to today to get through the INS, 800 number The officer said that if I have 10 yrs granted to me without condition, then that is it. That I can only file a removal if I got 2yrs. That such cases of waiving condition is not unusual.That there must be a reason. This collaborated the InfoPass visit.

Based on the two enquiries and responses, do you two guys have anything more to offer ?
Old Sep 8th 2005, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: AOS Approval Without Interview LA

Well am still far away from the date to file the 751, however my enquiries will continue some how but making too much enquires might be a negative impact in the long run. So I might not continue to do such. I only did it because of you guys comments. And lately there has been reported cased of GCs less than 2nd anniversaries on this forum and visajourney. Also i was reading the sections referenced by Folinyka. ....the was an option that the attorney general could dispenses cases. Hence,this recent approval w/o interviews or b4 2nd anniversary might be exceptional cases.

However, since a few months ago, i have been placed on hold in the enlistment precedure into the US Army due to lack of GC. Copy of my Adjustment Letter was submitted, tests and background checks came out good, except GC. I was told to await my GC to b4 moving further. Well this and the fact that i have been working and filed joint tax with my spouse and own a lot of joint ventures is all i can think that might have or not influenced INS decision on my case. I could be wrong. But in all ways, I am really glad to that i can now pursue my goals with the GC in my wallet !!!!

Last edited by JJ&ST; Sep 8th 2005 at 8:02 am.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 7:59 am

Just some further observations....
he told me thats its not unusual to approve cases or to receive GC before 2nd anniversary.
That is true. Cases are approved and GC are issued before 2nd anniversary all the time. Those are called Conditional GC and are good for 2 years.

He said that it depends on the case and reasons to warrant a GC without conditions.
That is true. If the case is the type where the marriage is more than 2 years old, then that would be the reason for warranting a GC without conditions.

That he does not know the reason for my case. That all they can do make an inquiry.
So he was telling you general information that was not specific to your case, correct? Did he look up your specific case? Doesn't sound like it...sounds like he has to make an inquiry in order to give you more specific advice.

But that as I receive a GC without any 2yr condition that the GC remains valid for 10 years as stated. That I have no reason to file any Removal of condition when one was not placed. that it will never be an issue during my N-400 because there was no condition. He said I can only have problem during N-400 if i had 2yr condition and failed to remove condition at the right time.
This is where I would stop believing what he's saying. He might not even know the laws. And, if he's wrong (which I think he is), you unfortunately can't go back and blame him if you fail to meet the requirements for filing the N-400 because of failure to remove conditions. The onus is on you to do the right thing. Not really fair, but that's the way it is, and that's why the forum is so helpful.

Secondly, I succeeded today getting through to the INS, 800 number The officer said that if I have 10 yrs granted to me without condition, then that is it. That I can only file a removal if I got 2yrs. That such cases of waiving condition is not unusual.That there must be a reason. This collaborated the InfoPass visit.
The 800-number is notorious for giving out false information, as the phone operators there are contract workers and don't know anything about immigration law. I would put no faith in whatever they tell you.

I highly recommend removing conditions in 2 years.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 8th 2005, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: AOS Approval Without Interview LA

Thanks, your recommendation and my enquiry responses and are well noted. My 2nd anniversary comes up Jun 12, 06. Will consider filing 751 within 90 days b4 the date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.