Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS & AP Dilemma - Can't ask BCIS Sub Office, number out of order!

Wikiposts

AOS & AP Dilemma - Can't ask BCIS Sub Office, number out of order!

Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of
Default AOS & AP Dilemma - Can't ask BCIS Sub Office, number out of order!

Help!

I've been trying to contact the BCIS sub office in Providence to ask a question about filing my AOS package with them, but when I call the number shown on recent paperwork from them (401 454 2865) I get the following message:
"Number is not in service at this time, no further information."

It's been like that for days now. This is the only number I can find for them and Directory Assistance can't find them listed.

As I can't ask my question to them, maybe someone here can help me with the following:

I am ready to file my AOS application, which includes my Employment Authorization Document and Advance Parole. It states on the DIRECTmail notice I received from Providence that "applications filed with the Providence office will be accepted BY MAIL ONLY".

However, information taken from the BCIS website about the Providence Sub Office regarding Advanced Parole states:
"Filing Instructions: To apply for Advance Parole, please submit Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, along with two photos, valid identification and appropriate fee (see the form for full application instructions), in person, to our office at 200 Dyer Street during business hours. Processing may take 14 - 21 days (delays may result if the applicant's A-file is not physically located at our office).

As I am filing for Advance Parole WITH my I-485 AOS, can I mail it anyway? OR, do they mean if you are filing for Advance Parole ONLY (i.e. separately), you have to file it in person?

I am thinking of turning up there to file the whole package but then I risk not being seen as this is a Mail Only application, and I am thinking that they won't process the Advance Parole without me having filed the Adjustment of Status!!!

Hope this makes sense, *sigh*

Please help!
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

GoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant future
Default Re: AOS & AP Dilemma - Can't ask BCIS Sub Office, number out of order!

Karen,

I believe this has something to do with the local offices mailing the AOS packages to Missouri center. Walk-ins are not allowed anymore and even though you can mail your package to your local office, they will forward it to the Missouri center for initial evaluation. I think what's gonna happen is that once you send the whole thing (not just the EAD) to your local office, they will mail you a letter informing you that they forwarded your documents to Missouri. Then Missouri will let you know when to go to the local office to pick up your EAD.

This is exactly what happened in the Denver office where I was going to file my AOD.

And don't worry: although the official web site says the same old information, the process HAS changed.

Originally posted by Karen D
Help!

I've been trying to contact the BCIS sub office in Providence to ask a question about filing my AOS package with them, but when I call the number shown on recent paperwork from them (401 454 2865) I get the following message:
"Number is not in service at this time, no further information."

It's been like that for days now. This is the only number I can find for them and Directory Assistance can't find them listed.

As I can't ask my question to them, maybe someone here can help me with the following:

I am ready to file my AOS application, which includes my Employment Authorization Document and Advance Parole. It states on the DIRECTmail notice I received from Providence that "applications filed with the Providence office will be accepted BY MAIL ONLY".

However, information taken from the BCIS website about the Providence Sub Office regarding Advanced Parole states:
"Filing Instructions: To apply for Advance Parole, please submit Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, along with two photos, valid identification and appropriate fee (see the form for full application instructions), in person, to our office at 200 Dyer Street during business hours. Processing may take 14 - 21 days (delays may result if the applicant's A-file is not physically located at our office).

As I am filing for Advance Parole WITH my I-485 AOS, can I mail it anyway? OR, do they mean if you are filing for Advance Parole ONLY (i.e. separately), you have to file it in person?

I am thinking of turning up there to file the whole package but then I risk not being seen as this is a Mail Only application, and I am thinking that they won't process the Advance Parole without me having filed the Adjustment of Status!!!

Hope this makes sense, *sigh*

Please help!
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of

Originally posted by GoodGirl_J
Karen,

I believe this has something to do with the local offices mailing the AOS packages to Missouri center. Walk-ins are not allowed anymore and even though you can mail your package to your local office, they will forward it to the Missouri center for initial evaluation. I think what's gonna happen is that once you send the whole thing (not just the EAD) to your local office, they will mail you a letter informing you that they forwarded your documents to Missouri. Then Missouri will let you know when to go to the local office to pick up your EAD.

This is exactly what happened in the Denver office where I was going to file my AOD.

And don't worry: although the official web site says the same old information, the process HAS changed.
Thanks!

Did you apply for Advance Parole too, by mail? And was it sent back to you or accepted?!

Thanks again!
Old Oct 31st 2003, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

GoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant future

We have just filed our paperwork this past week. Our wedding was on Saturday and our lawyer sent all of the documents to Denverl local office so it will be a while till we hear back from Missouri where the papers will be forwarded.

Originally posted by Karen D
Thanks!

Did you apply for Advance Parole too, by mail? And was it sent back to you or accepted?!

Thanks again!
Old Oct 31st 2003, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by GoodGirl_J
We have just filed our paperwork this past week. Our wedding was on Saturday and our lawyer sent all of the documents to Denverl local office so it will be a while till we hear back from Missouri where the papers will be forwarded.
OK, we'll wait it out together then! (and with hundreds of others too LOL!)

Good luck