Wikiposts

AOS also for Daughter?

Old May 28th 2006, 4:04 am
Just Joined

Sanders is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AOS also for Daughter?

Thanks so much for all your very enlightening responses! I've learned so much! Incidentally, my "lawyer" contacted me yesterday and was very apologetic and confirmed that I do have to file those paperworks that you mentioned. It's because my lawyer has been very busy and I think that handling immigration cases is only a part time thing for her that's why she wasn't infromed of new policies and procedures. Like at first she wanted us to file at the local office when it's suppose to go to the Chicago office and etc.

Without your help, we would've filed our paperwork without my daughter's and etc. That would've caused some problems later on.
Old May 28th 2006, 5:54 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sanders
It's because my lawyer has been very busy and I think that handling immigration cases is only a part time thing for her that's why she wasn't infromed of new policies and procedures. Like at first she wanted us to file at the local office when it's suppose to go to the Chicago office and etc.
Personally, I wouldn't stick with this lawyer. You need someone who is up to date on all the rules and regs, and who has time to work on your case. Not knowing where to send the petition is a very basic thing, and it scares me that you're trusting this lawyer to do the rest of your case....

Just my opinion.

Rene
Old May 29th 2006, 6:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Personally, I wouldn't stick with this lawyer. You need someone who is up to date on all the rules and regs, and who has time to work on your case. Not knowing where to send the petition is a very basic thing, and it scares me that you're trusting this lawyer to do the rest of your case....

Just my opinion.

Rene

Thanks, I feel the same way. I'll be sending in our paperwork by the end of this week (hopefully the results of the medical exam will be done). But before I do send it in, I'll try to find another lawyer to look over them.
Old May 29th 2006, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Oh another question, I'm also filing I-765 (EAD). Do you think we should also file an I-765 for my daughter? They say that having an SSN is very important and even though my daughter won't probably use it for work yet (she's only 15), it would be better to have it already. I personally think it's just added expense ($180). What do you think?
Old May 29th 2006, 6:47 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh another question, I'm also filing I-765 (EAD). Do you think we should also file an I-765 for my daughter? They say that having an SSN is very important and even though my daughter won't probably use it for work yet (she's only 15), it would be better to have it already. I personally think it's just added expense ($180). What do you think?
Hi:

Fifteen year olds have this habit of surviving that year and becoming sixteen year olds. Sixteen year olds often want another little card called a "driver's license." Many state DMV's want to see something official showing immigration status.
Old May 29th 2006, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Fifteen year olds have this habit of surviving that year and becoming sixteen year olds. Sixteen year olds often want another little card called a "driver's license." Many state DMV's want to see something official showing immigration status.
Hi, if that's the only reason then she can wait. Personally, I think they shouldn't start driving until they are 18.
Old May 29th 2006, 9:46 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, if that's the only reason then she can wait. Personally, I think they shouldn't start driving until they are 18.

There is the fact of the SSN for her but also the fact that the SSN will help in the filing of your joint income taxes next year. This way you won't have to apply for her ITIN from the IRS for tax filing. Also in many areas of the country 13 year olds and up are allowed to work part time. In some areas it is only after the age of 16. My way of thinking is better to have the card issued, get her SSN, and be done with it.

Rete
Old May 29th 2006, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
There is the fact of the SSN for her but also the fact that the SSN will help in the filing of your joint income taxes next year. This way you won't have to apply for her ITIN from the IRS for tax filing. Also in many areas of the country 13 year olds and up are allowed to work part time. In some areas it is only after the age of 16. My way of thinking is better to have the card issued, get her SSN, and be done with it.

Rete
Ok I guess it won't hurt. She does want to start getting a part time job. At least 16 years old here I believe is the requirement. Thanks.
Old May 30th 2006, 1:12 am
JEff

Sanders,

I agree with you. I see too many memorial sites along local roads
where young teenage drivers and their friends have died. However, peer
pressure can be pretty strong at 16 years of age, and if your daughter
does want to start a part time job when she's 16 or after she may need
transportation.

Good luck getting her to hold off on a drivers license until she's 18!

Regards, JEff

Sanders wrote:
    > > Hi:
    > >
    > > Fifteen year olds have this habit of surviving that year and becoming
    > > sixteen year olds. Sixteen year olds often want another little card
    > > called a "driver's license." Many state DMV's want to see something
    > > official showing immigration status.
    > Hi, if that's the only reason then she can wait. Personally, I think
    > they shouldn't start driving until they are 18.