British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Aos again (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/aos-again-545932/)

wengha Jun 29th 2008 9:52 am

Aos again

i had my interview 25 june and the interviewer told me i have only one problem she said neither my wife or her father ( sponsor ) have enough money to suport me and she asked to find a new sponsor so i did and i already find a new sponsor and he already filed the i-864 form and singed it and send it to me with his 2007 taxe returne and 2007 W2 and tomorrow i will get the papers here in morocco and she had to pay 119 dollars to send so the problem is that we found out late that he claimed his son as dependant on his 2007 taxe so can i add him as his dependant on the form and it is easy to change it as he typed all the information on the computer and print it so i can file again that only page stating his dependant and add one even she make 38.000 dollars and that is enough to suport even more then 6 person but his son is now 21 years old and he doesn't live with him anymore or just left it plz i dont wanna make any problem would make me wait more time to be with my wife.

note : the sponsor is who give me that idea about changing that part of the form.

Noorah101 Jun 29th 2008 11:25 am

Re: Aos again

Originally Posted by wengha (Post 6517048)
i had my interview 25 june and the interviewer told me i have only one problem she said neither my wife or her father ( sponsor ) have enough money to suport me and she asked to find a new sponsor so i did and i already find a new sponsor and he already filed the i-864 form and singed it and send it to me with his 2007 taxe returne and 2007 W2 and tomorrow i will get the papers here in morocco and she had to pay 119 dollars to send so the problem is that we found out late that he claimed his son as dependant on his 2007 taxe so can i add him as his dependant on the form and it is easy to change it as he typed all the information on the computer and print it so i can file again that only page stating his dependant and add one even she make 38.000 dollars and that is enough to suport even more then 6 person but his son is now 21 years old and he doesn't live with him anymore or just left it plz i dont wanna make any problem would make me wait more time to be with my wife.

note : the sponsor is who give me that idea about changing that part of the form.

Hi,

Just to be clear so others will understand, in your title when you mention AOS, you mean Affidavit of Support (not Adjustment of Status). This I-864 is in conjunction with an Immigrant Visa, I believe.

I am not sure it's OK for you to change anything on the I-864, since it's already been signed by the sponsor.

Hopefully others will add comments to give other ideas.

Rene

wengha Jun 29th 2008 12:46 pm

thank you Rene

i dont think it is ok too we are just trying to find an easy and fast solution the form was typed by the computer and the sponsor signature is on the last page so no one would know if i add the number 1 stating he have his son as dependant .
what about leting the sponsor write an email to the consulate to explain that or write me a letter and sing it so i can just scan it and include it with his papers.

bionomique Jun 29th 2008 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by wengha (Post 6517048)

Adding 1 would change the household size, wouldn't it? Unless the dependent that was claimed on the 2007 tax return was already included in a box above as "dependent children", then there would be no reason to count him elsewhere.

wengha Jun 29th 2008 1:43 pm

it would change the house hold size but that wont hurt as the sponsor income is enough for more then 6 persone and there is just his wife and his son and me but we did't add his son as depandent on the form i-864 so my question can i just add him on the form and print the paper again it seems the easier way .

ian-mstm Jun 29th 2008 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by wengha (Post 6517350)
i dont think it is ok too we are just trying to find an easy and fast solution the form was typed by the computer and the sponsor signature is on the last page so no one would know...

So, you know it's wrong... but you want to do it anyway, right? Seems a bit foolish to me! Why don't you just have him send you a corrected form?

Ian

wengha Jun 29th 2008 2:17 pm

the sponsor makes enough if we have to change it and add him but i just wanted to know if you think we will be ok since we didnt or does he need to be added as a dependent even he no longer lives with him he is 21 years old and lives in another state.

ian-mstm Jun 29th 2008 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by wengha (Post 6517456)
i just wanted to know if you think we will be ok

Since you ask, I do not think you will be okay.

... or does he need to be added as a dependent even he no longer lives with him he is 21 years old and lives in another state.
You said he was claimed as a dependent on the 2007 tax return. I fail to see why you don't see this as a potential problem.

i dont wanna make any problem would make me wait more time to be with my wife
Well then...

Ian

wengha Jun 29th 2008 2:52 pm

well then what?! i'm asking you for your help not your sarcasm!

Noorah101 Jun 29th 2008 2:53 pm

I suggest you get a new corrected I-864 from the sponsor. What method did he send it? $119 seems kind of high. He can probably use a different service which gets it to you in a few days, rather than overnight, if he doesnt' want to spend that much money again. A few days more of waiting won't hurt your case, unless you have a deadline to turn in a new I-864.

Rene

Noorah101 Jun 29th 2008 2:54 pm

I think Ian's unspoken point was, don't do anything that will cause an issue for the embassy.

Rene

Tracym Jun 30th 2008 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 6517515)
I think Ian's unspoken point was, don't do anything that will cause an issue for the embassy.

Rene

Unless I'm missing something - if the son is over 21 and no longer lives with the sponsor, he wouldn't need to be included in the household size, would he?

So isn't the form correct as is?

Just because he was a dependant on the 2007 tax return, if he's moved away and is over 21 now....

If I'm right, just perhaps attaching a note saying son is no longer there?

Noorah101 Jun 30th 2008 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 6518442)
Unless I'm missing something - if the son is over 21 and no longer lives with the sponsor, he wouldn't need to be included in the household size, would he?

So isn't the form correct as is?

Just because he was a dependant on the 2007 tax return, if he's moved away and is over 21 now....

If I'm right, just perhaps attaching a note saying son is no longer there?

I'm not sure, because, for example, someone who pays child support still has to claim that child on the I-864, even if the child doesn't live with the sponsor.

Not sure if it's the same a dependent over 21 who does not live with the sponsor.

Rene

Tracym Jun 30th 2008 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 6518899)
I'm not sure, because, for example, someone who pays child support still has to claim that child on the I-864, even if the child doesn't live with the sponsor.

Not sure if it's the same a dependent over 21 who does not live with the sponsor.

Rene

Why would a 21-year-old be a dependant?

I must be slow today, sorry, I can't think of how they would. Or is there some circumstance where you claim a college student or something?

Which brings to my mind the question - just what do they mean by dependant on the I-864 - someone you're obligated to pay support for (like court ordered child support, wife, etc) - or does a grown kid you're choosing to support count?

Noorah101 Jun 30th 2008 6:35 am

I think there are guidelines as to who can be your dependent...if you pay a certain percentage of his living expenses, if his income is below a certain level, something like that. I don't think age is a factor, I think it's based on these other things.

That said, perhaps he showed him as a dependent in 2007...but is he a dependent NOW? In 2008? That might be a factor.

Rene