AOS

Old Sep 20th 2021, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Bebobra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS

after entry on ESTA earlier this month. Married earlier this year. Return ticket. No intention of AOS until a couple days ago. Can someone shed some light please? I'm a bit confused by the threads here, do I file I-485 and supporting forms immediately or wait till my 90 days is up?

Appreciate any advice anyone can give.
Old Sep 20th 2021, 11:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS

It doesn't really matter when you file everything, but I would say it's much better to file and have the receipt in hand before your 90 days is up... that way you have legal permission to be in the USA.

Rene
Old Sep 20th 2021, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

Thank you kindly for your reply Rene! Much appreciated.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 12:03 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

It can be a complicated, confusing and uncertain area of the law.

Should be pointed out that you are already married.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

Is your spouse a US citizen?
Old Sep 21st 2021, 3:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The process is a bot more complicated than that but yes you can file to adjust.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

While having 'no intention' of doing AOS, the fact that you were entering the US to visit your husband (you married earlier this year) must have raised the possibility that you would not want to return to home country and AOS could be on the cards.
In earlier posts you had mentioned having to do the CR-1 visa......

Old Sep 21st 2021, 10:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You will be filing the I-485 but your husband will have to filed at the same with your petition, the I-130.

You cannot adjust status without having an approved I-130 unless you entered with a K-1 Fiancee Visa, which you did not.

Don't forget to file at the same all the other forms you need to submit, i.e. I-764, I-131, etc.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 1:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by newacct
Is your spouse a US citizen?
Yes
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 1:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
While having 'no intention' of doing AOS, the fact that you were entering the US to visit your husband (you married earlier this year) must have raised the possibility that you would not want to return to home country and AOS could be on the cards.
In earlier posts you had mentioned having to do the CR-1 visa......
No, it didn't cross my mind.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 12:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bebobra
No, it didn't cross my mind.
Be that as it may, it will be sorted out by USCIS when you and he attend the interview for your AOS in the future. The intent to defraud is a serious charge and would mean, if found that you entered with the purpose of remaining to adjust status, a denial of your AOS and other ramifications.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Intent was determined at the PoE
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Be that as it may, it will be sorted out by USCIS when you and he attend the interview for your AOS in the future. The intent to defraud is a serious charge and would mean, if found that you entered with the purpose of remaining to adjust status, a denial of your AOS and other ramifications.
I understand.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Intent was determined at the PoE
This is my understanding too.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 9:38 pm
Concierge

It can be questioned by the interviewing officer. I know of one case where it occurred. While it was many years ago, the couple in question showed evidence of a wedding with many foreign guests, etc. AOS was denied and the new hubby had to leave the US. [Vague info given as to not forewarn others what to look out for.]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.