AOS

Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:14 pm

Flopsie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS

Hi,

I am just starting the AOS from K1 to permanent resident and I found a great site that gives a list of everything I need to send. I was just hoping someone would check that it's all the right stuff?!

I-485 Petition for Alien Relative
G-325A Biometric thing
I-693
I-864 Affidavit of support
G-1145 Request for email notification
A print out of the I-94
Copy of marriage and birth certificate, a copy of my vaccination records from my medical, a copy of the visa in my passport and a copy of my passport.

From what I've read on here though there also needs to be an I-130 filed? That's why I'm wondering if the site I've found is correct/outdated.

I'm also curious about the I-131 Application for Travel. Do you have to have a legitimate reason for wanting to leave the US or is a family vacation reason enough? My family have booked a cottage in Cornwall early September and I'd love to surprise them by turning up. Do you have to give dates of travel? I know theres a place on the form for that but can you just apply and they give you a card to let you flit about as you please?

Finally, roughly how long does it take until I have the Greencard in my hands? And is it possible to get a social security number before I have that? My husband wants to put me on his bank account (foolish man giving me access to all his money!) but they say it can't be done until I have a social security number which means no bank card and having to deal with an allowance every week like a teenager!

Thanks in advance for your help
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS

Originally Posted by Flopsie
G-325A Biometric thing
"Biographical", not Biometric

I-693
If this is for the vaccination supplement, yes. Not a whole new medical exam.

From what I've read on here though there also needs to be an I-130 filed? That's why I'm wondering if the site I've found is correct/outdated.
No I-130 required when filing AOS from K-1 visa. I-130 is required when filing AOS from any other status.

I'm also curious about the I-131 Application for Travel. Do you have to have a legitimate reason for wanting to leave the US or is a family vacation reason enough?
You don't need any specific reason. Vacation is fine.

Do you have to give dates of travel?
You can put "unknown" on the form, or just make up random dates. You won't be held to whatever you put on the form.

Finally, roughly how long does it take until I have the Greencard in my hands?
Filing AOS to adjustment interview is about 6 months.

And is it possible to get a social security number before I have that?
Oh, definitely! Wait until you've been in the USA about 10 days after arrival on the K-1 (but don't wait longer than 76 days after arrival). Go in person to your local SS office. Fill out the application for SS card, and show your passport with K-1 visa and I-94 printout. If SS can verify your status right away, you can go back in person the next day and get the number. The card will come in the mail in about 2 weeks.

My husband wants to put me on his bank account (foolish man giving me access to all his money!) but they say it can't be done until I have a social security number which means no bank card and having to deal with an allowance every week like a teenager!
The bank is wrong. You don't need a SSN to be added to someone's existing bank account (or even to open your own account).

Also, looks like you forgot to list the I-765 application for Employment Authorization Document. If you want to work, you should include that in your AOS package.

Rene
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101

You can put "unknown" on the form, or just make up random dates. You won't be held to whatever you put on the form.
So can it be used multiple times or is it a one time pass kind of thing?

Also, looks like you forgot to list the I-765 application for Employment Authorization Document. If you want to work, you should include that in your AOS package.
I wasn't planning on looking for work for a while so I thought I'd just wait until the greencard comes through. If I don't file the I-765 the greencard will still permit me to work right?
Old Jan 13th 2014, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So can it be used multiple times or is it a one time pass kind of thing?
If you request multiple entries... that's what you'll receive.

If I don't file the I-765 the greencard will still permit me to work right?
Correct. As an aside, my own adjustment took almost 3 years... I went through 3 EAD's! You should rethink the I-765... you might find it comes in handy! And, like the I-131, it's included in the cost for the I-485.

Ian
Old Jan 13th 2014, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Correct. As an aside, my own adjustment took almost 3 years... I went through 3 EAD's! You should rethink the I-765... you might find it comes in handy! And, like the I-131, it's included in the cost for the I-485.

Ian
Three years?!! I read online that the time varies considerably depending on your area, is that true? If so... I'm in Southern California please tell me you aren't!
Old Jan 13th 2014, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I read online that the time varies considerably depending on your area, is that true? If so... I'm in Southern California please tell me you aren't!
I'm in Kentucky. Processing times do vary - and I'll be the first to admit that my case was an anomaly. The point, though, is that the future is uncertain... so why not take advantage while you have the opportunity? Not getting an EAD because you aren't planning on looking for a job is a bit... well, short-sighted.

Ian
Old Jan 13th 2014, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm in Kentucky. Processing times do vary - and I'll be the first to admit that my case was an anomaly. The point, though, is that the future is uncertain... so why not take advantage while you have the opportunity? Not getting an EAD because you aren't planning on looking for a job is a bit... well, short-sighted.

Ian
Given what you've said about the three years I'll admit it is short sited and be filing the form. I was slightly concerned that they would question the validity of the marriage if I was so keen to start working when there is no financial necessity for my working.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 12:21 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Given what you've said about the three years I'll admit it is short sited and be filing the form. I was slightly concerned that they would question the validity of the marriage if I was so keen to start working when there is no financial necessity for my working.
USCIS will not question why you applied for EAD. It is an interim benefit available to everyone who files AOS, regardless of income.

As Ian said, his 3-year journey was unusual. But I agree that getting the EAD in hand can be beneficial, and since there's no charge, might as well get it.

Rene
Old Jan 14th 2014, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

Cadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Flopsie,
I recently adjusted status in SoCal, the whole process, no glitches took less than 4 months. We applied July 26th, had interview 29th Oct, received GC 13th Nov.

Incidently, my misses added me to her bank account before I had my SSN.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:01 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

"Biographical", not Biometric

If this is for the vaccination supplement, yes. Not a whole new medical exam.

No I-130 required when filing AOS from K-1 visa. I-130 is required when filing AOS from any other status.

You don't need any specific reason. Vacation is fine.

Oh, definitely! Wait until you've been in the USA about 10 days after arrival on the K-1 (but don't wait longer than 76 days after arrival). Go in person to your local SS office. Fill out the application for SS card, and show your passport with K-1 visa and I-94 printout. If SS can verify your status right away, you can go back in person the next day and get the number. The card will come in the mail in about 2 weeks.

The bank is wrong. You don't need a SSN to be added to someone's existing bank account (or even to open your own account).

Rene
No legal requirement, but that does not mean a bank can't require it, or reject you for lack of it, as company policy.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by RICH
No legal requirement, but that does not mean a bank can't require it, or reject you for lack of it, as company policy.
I agree - at which point it's time to let them know you'll be taking your business elsewhere, because their policy is clearly discriminatory to those who are in the country legally. A letter to the editor of the local newspaper doesn't hurt either!

Ian
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Or it might just be staff ignorance. Me and my Husband opened a joint account and sole account for me at a branch of BoA in an area with lots of immigrants. 3 days after i landed with my K1. No SSN. We didn't even have our marriage certificate yet.

It may be that the branch you were in was "too white" and a quick jaunt to a more diverse area of town would be faster than bitching to the local press
Lx
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:47 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Mine took just under 3 months. Our corporate immigration attorney also states they're seeing a quicker timeline for adjustments as well recently.

As Noorah says though, I would plan for 6 months, but don't be surprised if it takes 3
Old Jan 15th 2014, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Cadenza-93
Hi Flopsie,
I recently adjusted status in SoCal, the whole process, no glitches took less than 4 months. We applied July 26th, had interview 29th Oct, received GC 13th Nov.

Incidently, my misses added me to her bank account before I had my SSN.
Oh this is fantastic! Where abouts in SoCal are you?

The bank use the SSN as part of their security process, my husband called in after work and I can imagine when they said no to the question he didn't think to explain the circumstances to them etc and maybe allow for the wiggle room. I'm going to apply for my SSN on Friday and there is no immediate rush for the bank stuff. But thank you

This next question is slightly off topic, but it saves me a new thread and/or having to deal with the DNV website... how do I go about getting my license? My brother in law is canadian and he just had to re-take the written exam.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 7:35 pm

This next question is slightly off topic, but it saves me a new thread and/or having to deal with the DNV website... how do I go about getting my license? My brother in law is canadian and he just had to re-take the written exam.
You go in person to your local DMV office with your passport, K-1 visa, I-94, and SS card. You take the written test, and if you pass, you get a learner's permit allowing you to drive with any registered California driver. You make an appointment for the driving test, do that, and then get your license.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.