Wikiposts

AOS

Old Sep 22nd 2008, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

fogga4000 will become famous soon enough
Default AOS

Hey Guys, hope you're all well?
So I arrived on the the 4th sept on a k1 visa and got married on the 14th. It was a big wedding and a big day(enjoyed by all) but we both got caught up in the day(and the bar) and neither of us got a copy of a marriage license. The Rabbi took the original to post off and we didn't get a copy,stupid I know but I guess these things happen.
So basically I'm just asking if anybody knows if you can just go and get a copy of that or how long it takes to process before you can get a copy, or firstly maybe I should ask if you actually need this before you file for your AOS?
Secondly I'm going to try and get a ssn within the next couple of days and am wondering if I need the license for that also? Does anybody know what evidence you need to obtain a ssn and do you get it there and then or do you file and they send you it( I believe you need the ssn before you file for your AOS?). As always any light that can be shed on any of these points I'm always grateful for. Thanks

Stu
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS

Originally Posted by fogga4000
Hey Guys, hope you're all well?
So I arrived on the the 4th sept on a k1 visa and got married on the 14th. It was a big wedding and a big day(enjoyed by all) but we both got caught up in the day(and the bar) and neither of us got a copy of a marriage license. The Rabbi took the original to post off and we didn't get a copy,stupid I know but I guess these things happen.
So basically I'm just asking if anybody knows if you can just go and get a copy of that or how long it takes to process before you can get a copy, or firstly maybe I should ask if you actually need this before you file for your AOS?
Secondly I'm going to try and get a ssn within the next couple of days and am wondering if I need the license for that also? Does anybody know what evidence you need to obtain a ssn and do you get it there and then or do you file and they send you it( I believe you need the ssn before you file for your AOS?). As always any light that can be shed on any of these points I'm always grateful for. Thanks

Stu
You don't need the marriage license for the SSN - in fact, it's easier if you don't even mention you are married - you get the SSN based upon the K1 visa. They mail it out. I don't think you need the SSN for the AOS (but I could be mistaken there)

It doesn't matter that you didn't copy the license - it doesn't mean anything until it's recorded at the courthouse anway. What you need to do is get an official copy (or several is a better idea) from the courthouse. If you call them (I think it's the county recorder) they can tell you if it's on file already - if it isn't, it will be soon.

No problems

Edit: oh yes - Congratulations!
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 1:04 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You need to get a certified copy of the marriage certificate, which means it's been recorded at the county. Call the secretary of state's office and ask how you can get a copy. It's useful to get a few copies just in case. You need this certified copy to file your AOS.

You do not need the marriage license or the certified copy of marriage certificate to get your SSN. In fact it's better not to even mention you're married, it just confuses them. All you need is your passport showing the K-1 visa, and your I-94. Go in person to the SS office with the application, and they will mail your card in a couple of weeks. You do not need your SSN in order to file AOS.

And Congratulations!

Rene
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You need to get a certified copy of the marriage certificate, which means it's been recorded at the county. Call the secretary of state's office and ask how you can get a copy. It's useful to get a few copies just in case. You need this certified copy to file your AOS.

You do not need the marriage license or the certified copy of marriage certificate to get your SSN. In fact it's better not to even mention you're married, it just confuses them. All you need is your passport showing the K-1 visa, and your I-94. Go in person to the SS office with the application, and they will mail your card in a couple of weeks. You do not need your SSN in order to file AOS.

And Congratulations!

Rene
I don't think the secretary of state has anything to do with marriage licenses... it's the county. They have to call the county courthouse.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 1:07 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I don't think the secretary of state has anything to do with marriage licenses... it's the county. They have to call the county courthouse.
Oops...thanks...LOL
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 4:12 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Try the county clerks office. We just got our marriage liscence and they said we we get a copy of our marriage certificate the same day and we can get etra copies the same day as well or come by any time to get etra certified copieds and they will do that then and there. This is in NYC . It might be a bit longer to get copied elsewhere but I would think that you would get them where you got your liscence. Congrats on the weeding! Ours is in two weeks!

Last edited by penguinbar; Sep 22nd 2008 at 4:13 am. Reason: I meant extra copies and wedding. Sticky keyboard again!
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for everyones kind wishes and advice. I'm also in nyc penguinbar so i'll head down there. Thanks.

PS best of luck for the big day, hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Stu
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 7:21 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for everyones kind wishes and advice. I'm also in nyc penguinbar so i'll head down there. Thanks.

PS best of luck for the big day, hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Stu
Thanks Stu. The county clerks office is at 1 Centre Street in Manhattan. Go to the 2nd floor for copies of the liscence. They are open M-F 8:30-3:45.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Thanks Stu. The county clerks office is at 1 Centre Street in Manhattan. Go to the 2nd floor for copies of the liscence. They are open M-F 8:30-3:45.
She means a certified copy of the marriage certificate. Not the license.

Rene
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101
She means a certified copy of the marriage certificate. Not the license.

Rene
Sorry !Thanks Rene!
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

I'm confused, is the certificate we need or a license?
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 7:51 am

I'm confused, is the certificate we need or a license?
For AOS, you need the certified copy of the marriage certificate.

Not the license.

Rene
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

OK thanks for clearing that up, as you've probably noticed by this stage in proceedings it takes very little to confuse me. I guess it's just fear of getting things wrong and stalling the process.

Thanks again
stu
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 8:01 am

OK thanks for clearing that up, as you've probably noticed by this stage in proceedings it takes very little to confuse me. I guess it's just fear of getting things wrong and stalling the process.

Thanks again
stu
You're in good company Stu! Sorry for the confusion!
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 8:59 am

Hi I noticed at the county clerks office that they have a short marriage certificate and one states that it's a longer one for foreign use. The man at the clerks told me there is a seal on both but which one should we get copies of for USCIS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.