Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Anyone see "American Embassy" on tv last night?

Wikiposts

Anyone see "American Embassy" on tv last night?

Old Apr 2nd 2002, 12:07 am
Fishy Baby

Default Anyone see "American Embassy" on tv last night?

Hey did anyone see that show "American Embassy" last night on tv? This was the first
time that I had seen it and it was quite interesting, as it supposedly based in the
US Embassy in London.

What was amazing was the inaccuracies in it. US male (old boyfriend of embassy
employee) wants to bring a UK female to the US so they go for an interview. It was an
interview with both of them in a plush office. I never remember going in a plush
office with my then fiance for an interview :-Þ Those of you who did their k1 through
London will remember how "un-plush" the embassy was... at least the public part.

The show also gave the impression that you get your "Green Card" immediately. You go
for the interview, if you're approved you get it then move to the US.

The employees also had a lot of time to go looking into the past personal life of the
UK resident (finding out she had previously tried to get into Canada by marrying).

And lastly, the biggest inconsistency was the fact that this "old boyfriend" seemed
able to go walking about the Embassy so he could find his old g/f. Somehow,
American or not, I don't think they'd just let people have access to the inner
sanctum of the Embassy.

There were a few other things too, but ... I guess it's just entertainment, right?

Oh well I guess I'll watch it next week too.

FishyBaby K1 Graduate - Class of '98 (London)

Around the K1 World In 97 Days www.k1.freeservers.com

Old Apr 2nd 2002, 6:41 am
Michael Voight

Default Re: Anyone see "American Embassy" on tv last night?

Fishy Baby wrote:
    >
    > Hey did anyone see that show "American Embassy" last night on tv? This was the
    > first time that I had seen it and it was quite interesting, as it supposedly based
    > in the US Embassy in London.
    >
    > What was amazing was the inaccuracies in it. US male (old boyfriend of embassy
    > employee) wants to bring a UK female to the US so they go for an interview. It was
    > an interview with both of them in a plush office. I never remember going in a
    > plush office with my then fiance for an interview :-Þ Those of you who did their
    > k1 through London will remember how "un-plush" the embassy was... at least the
    > public part.

I watched it to see how accurate(not) it is.

> The show also gave the impression that you get your "Green Card" immediately. You
    > go for the interview, if you're approved you get it then move to the US.

You can even have your ex fiance make the decision.

>
    > The employees also had a lot of time to go looking into the past personal life of
    > the UK resident (finding out she had previously tried to get into Canada by
    > marrying).

Did you see the episode where she denied someone a student visa? In that episode she
was behind the window.

>
    > And lastly, the biggest inconsistency was the fact that this "old boyfriend" seemed
    > able to go walking about the Embassy so he could find his old g/f. Somehow,
    > American or not, I don't think they'd just let people have access to the inner
    > sanctum of the Embassy.

He has connections..

I liked the part where she told him that the first step was for his wife (the non
USC) to fill out the I-130. Well, at least they got the right form. As far as I
recall, he is also not living in the UK, only visiting as a tourist, so he must have
had special permission to DCF.

Michael

Old Apr 2nd 2002, 9:07 am
Grinch

"Fishy Baby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hey did anyone see that show "American Embassy" last night on tv? What was amazing
    > was the inaccuracies in it.

Its interesting, I have watched 3 episodes and I have yet to see anyone take a shit.

Must be all constipated I guess.

Grinch

Old Apr 2nd 2002, 1:53 pm
British in Wisconsin

Jememennie is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL, yeah I saw the show last night and then complained to my husband about how they gave such a weird impression of the whole process. Seems you just have to have the right connections.

I really thought it was stupid when the British woman was denied the green card but then the main consular women just decided she wanted to 'believe in love', so she'd grant it anyhow.

Hehe, yeah I don't really like the show but I'll watch it to catch glimpses of London scenery & so I can make fun of their portrayal of the Embassy & visa procedures.

~ Jennie
Old Apr 2nd 2002, 7:05 pm
Paul

In article <[email protected]>, Jememennie
<[email protected]> writes
    >LOL, yeah I saw the show last night and then complained to my husband about how they
    >gave such a weird impression of the whole process. Seems you just have to have the
    >right connections.
    >
    >I really thought it was stupid when the British woman was denied the green card but
    >then the main consular women just decided she wanted to 'believe in love', so she'd
    >grant it anyhow.
    >
    >Hehe, yeah I don't really like the show but I'll watch it to catch glimpses of
    >London scenery & so I can make fun of their portrayal of the Embassy & visa
    >procedures.
    >
Nope, you won't be watching it again - they recorded 6 hours of material [well, minus
however long for commercials] to show as four episodes and a 2 hour season ender, but
the viewing figures were so poor it got pulled after the 4th. If you go to
uk.media.radio.bbc-r4 you'll see a thread comparing it to Dr Who [i.e. the red
telephone boxes are a dying breed in London].
--
paul 58-77 Sheffield 77-79 Coventry 79-88 Sheffield 88-97 Milton Keynes 97-99 London
99-00 Seattle 00-?? Fremont

Old Apr 3rd 2002, 8:05 am
Jb

Grinch wrote:
    >
    > "Fishy Baby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hey did anyone see that show "American Embassy" last night on tv? What was
    > > amazing was the inaccuracies in it.
    >
    > Its interesting, I have watched 3 episodes and I have yet to see anyone
    > take a shit.
    >
    > Must be all constipated I guess.

That's because one has to pay to take a shit in the US Embassy so very few do

Old Apr 5th 2002, 7:05 am
Mrtravel

Fishy Baby wrote:
    >
    > Hey did anyone see that show "American Embassy" last night on tv? This was the
    > first time that I had seen it and it was quite interesting, as it supposedly based
    > in the US Embassy in London.

That was the last show. Fox canceled it.