Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Anyone rescheduled AOS Interview?

Wikiposts

Anyone rescheduled AOS Interview?

Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all
Default Anyone rescheduled AOS Interview?

We are experiencing some pretty bad weather here in WV and surrounding states. My interview for my GC is on Monday and I'm concerned about the road conditions for our route to Pittsburg. Has anyone rescheduled their interview right on top of it for similar reasons, and were there any problems doing so? Also, does it take a long time to get another interview date? Thanks!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:46 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone rescheduled AOS Interview?

TEB,

I understand your concern. Tough situation.

Most of the experience with rescheduling interviews comes from writen requests weeks or months in advance. And the discouraging result has often been denial of the application for failure to appear for the interview, even when a reschedule was granted or it was CIS itself that notified the applicant that CIS was rescheduling the interview. A case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand was doing. Standard advice, therefore, has been 'make every effort to attend as scheduled'.

Maybe, if your lucky, the weather will cause the Pittsburg office itself to reschedule interview because its staff couldn't get in to work. I am reminded of my ex-wife's early morning AOS interview a number of years ago. After a 1-hour drive to the office we were informed that the interviewer had called in sick so the interview would be rescheduled. When we got back home there was a message on the answering machine, but the call had been made after we'd already left for the interview.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
We are experiencing some pretty bad weather here in WV and surrounding states. My interview for my GC is on Monday and I'm concerned about the road conditions for our route to Pittsburg. Has anyone rescheduled their interview right on top of it for similar reasons, and were there any problems doing so? Also, does it take a long time to get another interview date? Thanks!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
TEB,

Most of the experience with rescheduling interviews comes from writen requests weeks or months in advance. And the discouraging result has often been denial of the application for failure to appear for the interview, even when a reschedule was granted or it was CIS itself that notified the applicant that CIS was rescheduling the interview. A case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand was doing. Standard advice, therefore, has been 'make every effort to attend as scheduled'.

Maybe, if your lucky, the weather will cause the Pittsburg office itself to reschedule interview because its staff couldn't get in to work. I am reminded of my ex-wife's early morning AOS interview a number of years ago. After a 1-hour drive to the office we were informed that the interviewer had called in sick so the interview would be rescheduled. When we got back home there was a message on the answering machine, but the call had been made after we'd already left for the interview.

Regards, JEff
Ouch...that presents a second problem for me then! We will have to drive 4-6 hours to get to our interview, and since it's in the morning we were planning to drive up the day before and stay overnight in a hotel. If *they* cancelled we'd have wasted a lot of time, but more importantly money, that we don't have right now.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:58 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to what JEff said, I would rather see you guys opt for a drive to Pittsburg on Sunday (at leisurely safe pace), an overnight stay at a nice place, and a visit to the DO on Monday. It might very well be closed when you get there but at least you know that you tried.

If the weather is going to be bad starting on the weekend, continually check the USCIS website under DO's and see if there is a notice that the office is closed due to weather.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:01 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go: This is where you should go on Saturday/Sunday to check out the office

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0048f3d6a1RCRD

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

For the latest information on office closings, please call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 or you can follow USCIS on Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/uscis).

Offices Closed Today:

Cleveland, OH Field Office will open 2 hours late today, at 10:00 AM local time.

Houston, Texas - Southeast Application Support Center remains closed due to severe damage after Hurricane Ike

Dallas, TX Application Support Center is closed due to inclement weather.

Dallas, TX Field Office is closed due to inclement weather.

Texas - Ft. Worth Application Support Center is closed due to inclement weather.

Pittsburgh, PA Field Office is closed today due to inclement weather.

If an office is closed, or our customers are evacuated from their homes, due to weather-related events, USCIS will automatically reschedule all appointments until a time when it is safe to resume operations.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
In addition to what JEff said, I would rather see you guys opt for a drive to Pittsburg on Sunday (at leisurely safe pace), an overnight stay at a nice place, and a visit to the DO on Monday. It might very well be closed when you get there but at least you know that you tried.

If the weather is going to be bad starting on the weekend, continually check the USCIS website under DO's and see if there is a notice that the office is closed due to weather.
Where exactly do I find this info on the website?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:10 am
Concierge

Where exactly do I find this info on the website?
I gave you the URL. It is the www.uscis.gov site and you would look under District Office. The link is above.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
I gave you the URL. It is the www.uscis.gov site and you would look under District Office. The link is above.
Sorry, your post wasn't showing when I posted that! Thanks for the link!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

TEB,

Regards, JEff
What happens to those people who get denied even after a reschedule has been approved?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:20 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

TEB,

I haven't followed the cases I've seen to know speifically what advice is given to deal with the problem, so I'll leave it so someone else to answer your question.

Hopefully if the weather prevents your travel it will also close the office and you won't have to worry about it. Rete found a great source of information on the closings, I hope those sources give you enough advance notice either way.

Regards, JEff

What happens to those people who get denied even after a reschedule has been approved?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

TEB,

I haven't followed the cases I've seen to know speifically what advice is given to deal with the problem, so I'll leave it so someone else to answer your question.

Hopefully if the weather prevents your travel it will also close the office and you won't have to worry about it. Rete found a great source of information on the closings, I hope those sources give you enough advance notice either way.

Regards, JEff
Thanks Jeff! If we travel up on Sunday, we will probably just be taking our chances and hoping that they're open. I'm sure they won't post anything about closing until the morning of the interview. I just hope it all works out for the best!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

I am pleased to announce that we just got back from our AOS interview and it looks like I am going to be approved! Everything went well, and the IO said he was going to recommend for our application to be approved. He said we should recieve a letter confirming this in about a week. Songbird, you were right about the Pittsburgh office being friendly! Our actual IO was very friendly and laid back. He actually joked about the rules and a part of the I-485 you have to fill out. We were probably only there for half an hour or so and there were only a couple of others there waiting.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 12:10 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

I am pleased to announce that we just got back from our AOS interview and it looks like I am going to be approved! Everything went well, and the IO said he was going to recommend for our application to be approved. He said we should recieve a letter confirming this in about a week. Songbird, you were right about the Pittsburgh office being friendly! Our actual IO was very friendly and laid back. He actually joked about the rules and a part of the I-485 you have to fill out. We were probably only there for half an hour or so and there were only a couple of others there waiting.
YIPPIE!!! congrats!!!! - so glad it went ok for you and hubby
If the follow up is anything like ours was you will receive your CR-1 in a few days. I was told zackly the same thing and when I 'pushed' the issue slightly was told that basically it's just a formality, that the IO recommends approval and the next person up the chain just makes sure all the 'i's and t's are crossed, and that nothing has been overlooked - so looks like you're good to go!

Yes the Pittsburgh office does seem a lot more friendly than some of the other offices I have heard reports from, and the staff are indeed very welcoming - makes such a difference when you are met by security that genuinely seem to appreciate how nervous you are and greet you with a smile I would imagine the Steelers Super Bowl win would have added a little extra to that. YAY! for Pitts USCIS!

Congrats once again!!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 12:18 pm
Concierge

Congratulations. Glad you were approved and glad that the interview was not postponed after your made it up there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.