Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

anyone entered the US on visa free waiver while waiting for marriage visa?

Wikiposts

anyone entered the US on visa free waiver while waiting for marriage visa?

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 4:06 am
Just Joined

mattmcal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default anyone entered the US on visa free waiver while waiting for marriage visa?

Has anyone successfully entered the US on a visa free waiver while waiting for a marriage visa to process?

My wife and I married in August 2003 in England, and we filed for the I-130 and the I-129F in early September via the Missouri Service Center. We were considering flying her here for a 60-day visit or so. It seems this is formally permitted:
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...e.htm#thirteen

However, we wanted to know if anyone had actually done this successfully, and what were the factors that made it a success or a failure. We would hate to waste the money, the time, and the stress if it was a doomed proposition.

thanks for any help you can give us.
Matt and Jessica
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

leebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really nice

I did.. just make sure to take plenty of evidence you are returning to your home country to cover your back, and bear in mind there *is* a higher risk of getting refused...

I took a letter from my employer stating my return to work date, a copy of my mortgage agreement showing I owed a house, and was still making payments on it, and some credit card/bank statements just for good measure to prove my address and wages were being paid in etc.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 4:27 am
Just Joined

mattmcal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by leebarton
I did.. just make sure to take plenty of evidence you are returning to your home country to cover your back, and bear in mind there *is* a higher risk of getting refused...

I took a letter from my employer stating my return to work date, a copy of my mortgage agreement showing I owed a house, and was still making payments on it, and some credit card/bank statements just for good measure to prove my address and wages were being paid in etc.

out of curiosity, were you asked a lot of questions? and where did you enter...what airport?

thanks,
Matt
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

The airport does not matter. You may be asked questions or not. If you are legit, then be ready to answer the questions.

The 'free visa' (VWP) is generally for people with non-immigrant intentions. You clearly have immigration intentions in general, so make sure you can prove that you are going to return home before the visa takes it course.

Originally posted by mattmcal
out of curiosity, were you asked a lot of questions? and where did you enter...what airport?

thanks,
Matt