Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Any US immigrants from Australia out there?

Wikiposts

Any US immigrants from Australia out there?

Old Feb 13th 2009, 11:44 am
Account Closed

forts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any US immigrants from Australia out there?

Originally Posted by Debbie12345
Forts - this was exactly my original question . Although what have you read about the US Gov't requesting Spent convictions? I have yet to find that and I'm about to send my hubby off next week with the document that only includes Unspent based on 'code' they say to use. Any insights you can provide are much appreciated!!
Actually, all I have is bad news.

I have a copy of my AFP Clearance here, and it says "this is to certify that there are no Disclosable Court Outcomes recorded against... in the records of the Australian Federal Police or the police in any..."

That was for "all offenses", for Australian Immigration.

The best you can do is put down another code, short of asking for their assistance, and you (we) will really need their assistance. I'd start by emailing them ([email protected]), asking how best to get all convictions. Then explain that you need an official note explaining that "Disclosable Court Outcomes" are all convictions, which is the best the AFP can offer. However USCIS want a record of all ARRESTS or even being detained, and the AFP doesn't provide that (nearly certain), and that also needs to be in said official note.

Would you like to do this or shall I?

(Are these anti-terror measures or have they always been so paranoid?)
Old Feb 13th 2009, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Debbie12345 is on a distinguished road

Hey Forts - just so I'm clear. Did you get something from the US immigration telling you you neeed all this? I'm just trying to understand the context?

We didn't anything nearly that specific at our interview. We had the police check that was on name only and they said 'get us one that's based on fingerprints'.

So i'm curious to see if anyone else has gotten more specific info. It wouldn't be the first time that we got partial information from the US immigration on this!

I guess we'll find out when we send my husband in with the document next week but ideally I'd like to know upfront if possible.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

VeeGee is just really niceVeeGee is just really niceVeeGee is just really niceVeeGee is just really niceVeeGee is just really niceVeeGee is just really niceVeeGee is just really niceVeeGee is just really nice

Guys, I am pretty sure your code is 33 "Immigration/Citizenship", not 35 "Overseas Employment/Visa"

33 is for ALL OFFENCES

This could be your issue
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Forts - just so I'm clear. Did you get something from the US immigration telling you you neeed all this? I'm just trying to understand the context?

We didn't anything nearly that specific at our interview. We had the police check that was on name only and they said 'get us one that's based on fingerprints'.

So i'm curious to see if anyone else has gotten more specific info. It wouldn't be the first time that we got partial information from the US immigration on this!

I guess we'll find out when we send my husband in with the document next week but ideally I'd like to know upfront if possible.
Debbie, good one. I am thinking you're getting off track here.
All you need for the applying out of country version is that first cite I posted. That is from the State Department Reciprocity Schedule, which is normally kept pretty well up to date.

forts is also doing a different process from yours.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

VeeGee is just really niceVeeGee is just really niceVeeGee is just really niceVeeGee is just really niceVeeGee is just really niceVeeGee is just really niceVeeGee is just really niceVeeGee is just really nice

Hey Forts and Debbie,
this is what mine looked like...hope it helps
Attached Thumbnails Any US immigrants from Australia out there?-20080229064530876.jpg  

Last edited by VeeGee; Feb 13th 2009 at 12:10 pm. Reason: typo
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

hi VeeGee - this is GREAT.

We'll have his next week to compare with. If you didn't have any issue with the Spent Convications wording then I'm hoping they already understand and accept it.

More to come...if nothing else we'll be a learning experience for someone else possibly.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

forts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Debbie, good one. I am thinking you're getting off track here.
All you need for the applying out of country version is that first cite I posted. That is from the State Department Reciprocity Schedule, which is normally kept pretty well up to date.

forts is also doing a different process from yours.
What I was describing is from I-485 instructions. But you were told exactly what you need, so you
are good to stick with that.

If you were never arrested, you don't need all I elaborated about anyway.

I emailed the question as I elaborated. I will post when responded to for everyone's info.

Originally Posted by VeeGee
Guys, I am pretty sure your code is 33 "Immigration/Citizenship", not 35 "Overseas Employment/Visa"

33 is for ALL OFFENCES

This could be your issue
I assumed code 33 was for Australian Immigration/Citizenship, but I think you are right, and have the response to prove it! Thanks for that!

Last edited by forts; Feb 13th 2009 at 12:20 pm.
Old May 12th 2009, 6:54 am
Just Joined

DPUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Debbie, how did this turn out for you in the end? I am in a similar situation to the one you were in and want to make sure I put the right code on my application to the Australian police...
Old May 12th 2009, 7:50 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DPUK
Debbie, how did this turn out for you in the end?
Be prepared to not get an answer from Debbie; she hasn't made a single post since Feb. 13.

In fact, since you're new and all... why not just start a new thread for yourself.

Ian
Old May 12th 2009, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Thanks Ian, I have done just that
Old May 13th 2009, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Debbie, how did this turn out for you in the end? I am in a similar situation to the one you were in and want to make sure I put the right code on my application to the Australian police...
Hi all - sorry i've been offline for so long. My hubby's approval came through fast and furious and at the same time I was in my last trimester and had to squeeze in a work trip abroad. Crazy!

Anyway, I'm back online (when my newborn cooperates!) and i'll post the full story elsewhere.

To answer this thread - we put the code that was for Overseas employment/Immigration (35?). It only has Unspent offenses and for our visa they accepted that just fine. We were on a spousal visa that is conditional so we'll have to go through everything in 2 yrs time but for us the one the code we used was just fine.

All the best and let me know any further questions. I promise to get to them when I"m able.

Last edited by Debbie12345; May 13th 2009 at 3:14 pm.
Old May 13th 2009, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Ian, I have done just that
hi - i just replied. I hope that helps!
Old May 13th 2009, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Hi Debbie, thanks for the reply.
I did contact the Australian Criminal Records people and they said use code 35 also, I was not entirely convinced but if it worked for you...
Old May 14th 2009, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all - sorry i've been offline for so long. My hubby's approval came through fast and furious and at the same time I was in my last trimester and had to squeeze in a work trip abroad. Crazy!

Anyway, I'm back online (when my newborn cooperates!) and i'll post the full story elsewhere.
OT but Congrats on the baby!