Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Any I-130 DCF September/ October filers ?

Any I-130 DCF September/ October filers ?

Old Jun 16th 2011, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

potfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any I-130 DCF September/ October filers ?

We are approved!

Interview time was 9am, we were there at around 8:20 having stored our stuff at Gould (£3 for a bag and £3 for phone, phone can't be in a bag) and got photos, and it was no problem to join the queue straight away. It was TIPPING it down so Gould also got a tenner off us for a brolly.

Security guy was a bit of an arse, trying to rush people through quickly but it was more haste less speed, and we had to carry our papers, belts, watches, wallets etc. in our arms through the rain to the waiting room to sort ourselves out.

Finally got called at 10:25am to the first window. Sent to pay the fee, came back and handed over all the paperwork, I-864 etc. I think the woman was trying not to take ALL the papers we'd brought, but we were applying based on assets only, without a joint sponsor and not knowing how much proof of my wife's intention to reestablish domicile we'd need, so we had a 2" pile. She was very friendly and every time she asked for something we were able to provide it so it went smoothly.

We asked whether we could have the passport sent to a different address, as we won't be around for three weeks. She said that I had to sign for the package personally, which I later found from the courier is not the case (see below) but my wife let slip that we'll be abroad. I wasn't going to say that, to keep it simple... The woman asked if that meant I needed the passport, so I had to explain that I have two British passports. She didn't seem to care.

Sat back down again for another hour or so until our number was called a second time. This time the officer asked us some questions about how we met, what I do for a living, you travel a lot don't you, etc. He had heard that I have two passports and asked why - I explained that my work requires it as I need to apply for visas on one and travel on the other in the meantime. He said that "we frown upon that". At first I wasn't sure if he meant he frowned upon me doing it, or the USA frowns upon Americans doing it, but then he said "people do it, but we frown upon it". The moral here though - anything you say at the first window might be recorded even if you think it's just a comment!

Anyway he asked if I knew what happened next - I had to ask him "does that mean we're approved then?" as he didn't actually say we were, but apparently so, and he explained (again) about the mysterious brown envelope etc., a bit of small talk and then we were free to go to the courier desk.

At the courier desk they said it was fine to put any address I like as long as they could show my ID, so I put my parents' address, paid the £14.80 and was on my way. Exactly midday by the time we left. Still just relieved that it's all over - I'll do the happy thing tomorrow!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Shermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to all

Originally Posted by potfish
We are approved!

Still just relieved that it's all over - I'll do the happy thing tomorrow!
Congrats! I'm glad it all worked out for you both, wishing you many happy years together in the US
Old Jun 17th 2011, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

shadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really nice

We are approved!

...Still just relieved that it's all over - I'll do the happy thing tomorrow!
Thats is great! You had a long way to go of it!
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

chask is an unknown quantity at this point

We are approved!
Congrats Potfish! Very happy to hear all went well, and thanks for the info on your interview!

We seemed to share some similar experience (e.g. RFE), so it's been very helpful reading your input throughout. I hope I can provide the same input for someone else.

And hope you enjoyed that happy thing!!! Best wishes!

Received notice I-130 had been filed 22 Dec 2010. RFE request on 11 May 2011 (received in post on 15 May). Sent response to RFE 18 May. I-130 approval 7 June 2011 (received in post 11 June). Case number received 15th June. Medical scheduled for 29 June.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

potfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy! Yes, but...

Friday morning I got a phone call from the US embassy saying there's a problem... my passport doesn't have any blank pages! That's not true, it does have a few but only single pages and they say they need two facing blank pages. I had deliberately searched for this as I know some countries need two facing pages, but found nothing anywhere to say this was needed for the US!!

She said I need to get a new passport. I explained I have two passports and the other is nearly empty, but we're away for three weeks and I can't swap passports with them as we need lots of blank pages for the countries we're going to - Zambia is one that definitely does need two blank facing pages.

She said that they should have checked for this at the interview but sometimes it gets missed (I guess it's rare to have this problem) so she ended up going to talk with the supervisor and came back saying they'll squeeze it in somehow! They're not allowed to stick the visa over the top of existing stamps but sounds like that's what they're going to do, or perhaps just choose a blank page for the visa with only one or two stamps on the page facing it. We'll find out when we see it I suppose!
Old Jun 21st 2011, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

tilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud of

We are approved!

Interview time was 9am, we were there at around 8:20 having stored our stuff at Gould (£3 for a bag and £3 for phone, phone can't be in a bag) and got photos, and it was no problem to join the queue straight away. It was TIPPING it down so Gould also got a tenner off us for a brolly.

Security guy was a bit of an arse, trying to rush people through quickly but it was more haste less speed, and we had to carry our papers, belts, watches, wallets etc. in our arms through the rain to the waiting room to sort ourselves out.

Finally got called at 10:25am to the first window. Sent to pay the fee, came back and handed over all the paperwork, I-864 etc. I think the woman was trying not to take ALL the papers we'd brought, but we were applying based on assets only, without a joint sponsor and not knowing how much proof of my wife's intention to reestablish domicile we'd need, so we had a 2" pile. She was very friendly and every time she asked for something we were able to provide it so it went smoothly.

We asked whether we could have the passport sent to a different address, as we won't be around for three weeks. She said that I had to sign for the package personally, which I later found from the courier is not the case (see below) but my wife let slip that we'll be abroad. I wasn't going to say that, to keep it simple... The woman asked if that meant I needed the passport, so I had to explain that I have two British passports. She didn't seem to care.

Sat back down again for another hour or so until our number was called a second time. This time the officer asked us some questions about how we met, what I do for a living, you travel a lot don't you, etc. He had heard that I have two passports and asked why - I explained that my work requires it as I need to apply for visas on one and travel on the other in the meantime. He said that "we frown upon that". At first I wasn't sure if he meant he frowned upon me doing it, or the USA frowns upon Americans doing it, but then he said "people do it, but we frown upon it". The moral here though - anything you say at the first window might be recorded even if you think it's just a comment!

Anyway he asked if I knew what happened next - I had to ask him "does that mean we're approved then?" as he didn't actually say we were, but apparently so, and he explained (again) about the mysterious brown envelope etc., a bit of small talk and then we were free to go to the courier desk.

At the courier desk they said it was fine to put any address I like as long as they could show my ID, so I put my parents' address, paid the £14.80 and was on my way. Exactly midday by the time we left. Still just relieved that it's all over - I'll do the happy thing tomorrow!
Thanks for the info potfish, as you went with no joint sponsor what asset info did you have to show?

Could you simply just show printed off bank account balances etc?

Thanks
Old Jul 1st 2011, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

chask is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, my wife had her medical on 24th June (she called a couple days later and got bumped up from 29th June to 24th June). Appointment time was 8:50. Not really much to tell everyone. Everything went fine but they made her get a tetanus booster for £26. We decided to jet off to Provence almost immediately afterwards. Had a great time there, strongly recommend going if you've never been! Now waiting for the interview date! We still hoping to be moving end of July, fingers x'd!

Received notice I-130 had been filed 22 Dec 2010. RFE request on 11 May 2011 (received in post on 15 May). Sent response to RFE 18 May. I-130 approval 7 June 2011 (received in post 11 June). Case number received 15th June. Medical on 24th June. Currently waiting for interview date.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

tilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud of

Approved yesterday

Firstly before I give my update I just want to personally thank everyone who has helped me along the way in particular Rene whose speedy and accurate responses have enabled me to keep hair and sleep a lot more than I would have done if I didn't find this site. A big THANK YOU and its great to see that people are willing to help and I intend to try and do so as much as I can with my limited experience.

So a recap ...

Wife US citizen and me Uk citizen , together 10 years married for one. She lived in UK since age of 4 so our journey began with her having to apply for an SSN in London (i wrote a report on this) so here is my story from Paul aged 37 and 1/2

1. We go to USA to get married (no need to go just felt like getting married there) just over a year ago

2. Wife applies for SSN in London takes approx 6-8 weeks to come through

3. Waited a few months and filed I130

4. Started to gather docs I will need i.e. long birth certificate/police certificate

5. Wife filed last 3 years taxes (with help from the Wiki and received a stamp back to say received in a week !)

6. Moved bank account to HSBC so I could get the global account further done the line and save save save all we can

7. Got an AMEX in the hope we could transfer some of the credit (need it for over a year to do this)

8. Received approval and booked medical (sent off DS230etc)

9. Had medical, no real dramas other than a MMR jab (wrote report on this)

10. Went away to USA for 2 weeks to look for an apartment arrived back to find interview letter (not mandatory but for us we needed to as wife hadn't been to San Jose before)

11. Had interview yesterday and it was ok, appt was 0830 arrived a bit early at 0745 but noticed that people were going in so I joined to line and got in at 0750, was called forward at 0840 and gave in all of my paperwork ( relevant to me i.e.no previous marriage etc)

So for me I needed an original + copy of

1. Police cert
2. Long Birth cert (only mine they didn't want to see my wifes? I had it anyway)
3. Affidavit of support (signed !! )
4. Armed forces discharge papers
5. My Passport
6. Copy of her USA bank statement (one we opened from the Uk)
7. Copy of her ISA to show the money she saved
8. 2 passport pictures (NOTE - as of yesterday the booth in the embassy is OUT OF ORDER so dont rely on this go to one of the pharmacies)

Other things to note, take a book or something I didnt as was bored although I wasn't in there that long, also there are NO PAY PHONES in the embassy and you cant take your mobile in so make sure you have everything you need

After handing in my paperwork sat back down and was called in about 40 mins later to see the con off who asked me, how I met my wife, what job I and she was going to do, where we were going, and with a big smile said approved ! We were using assets for the I1864 so had to have 3xpoverty this was the 'best' way we saw as the wife had no job or real history in the USA and we didn't really want to rely on anyone for a joint sponsor, nice position I hear you say but we had been saving for like 2 years to do this and have lived very strictly to do so.

You then go to the line to give your address for the passport and I was out by 10.15 ,

All in all I worked out that the entire process cost me just over £1300 ,and we did start planning/saving a good 2 years or so before we got married and filed so we had the comfort of time to do this

Costs were

1. Initial I130 fee
2. Police cert
3. New long birth cert
4. Medical + jabs
5. Final fee ($404)
6. New passport (so I had a full 10 year one)
7. Travel for 2 trips to london which for me is over 3 hours so meant train + overnight accom for the medical and for the interview

So meaning make sure you think of the unexpected costs when starting all this, i.e. if you dont live near London expect to have to travel in a day or stay over and London aint cheap !

So i am really really happy and we aim to move to San Jose California at the end of September, again thanks to all and I hope this helps others on their journey !