Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Any contact details for US London Consulate?

Wikiposts

Any contact details for US London Consulate?

Old Feb 11th 2005, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

fishyfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Any contact details for US London Consulate?

Hello,

Does anyone have any contact details for the London Consulate - the Consular Information Unit or whoever deals with I-130's. I have a question for them.

the website lists 09068 200 290 (£1.30 min) but I rang it today and its only an automated service with no live people to ask.

I've also tried emailing a short two line question to

[email protected]

but have not had a reply yet (about a week) -though they did reply the next day when I emailed a question back in Nov.

Does anyone have any other phone numbers, emails, or addresses I can try?

Essentially, I want to ask if I've made a mistake by not including a copy of my (as the US citizen) birth certificate when I submitted my I-130 application a couple weeks ago. Also if I should have sent notorised copies of my passport and marriage cert and not just plain photocopies.

I recieved the acknowlegement post card last week, but no mention of any of the above.

I can send them in a certified copy of the birth cert in about 2 weeks time (being sent from the states) but want to know if I should send it to the same address in London as the I-130 itself, or if I should just wait for them to request it (or perhaps they witll just reject the application outright ).

Obviously, if there is anything I can do to keep it from getting rejected 10 weeks down the line I'd like to try and rectify it now.

any clues how to get in touch with them?

-fishyfish

Last edited by fishyfish; Feb 11th 2005 at 4:21 am.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

broma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nice
Default Re: Any contact details for US London Consulate?

Originally Posted by fishyfish
Hello,

Does anyone have any contact details for the London Consulate - the Consular Information Unit or whoever deals with I-130's. I have a question for them.

the website lists 09068 200 290 (£1.30 min) but I rang it today and its only an automated service with no live people to ask.

[email protected]

but have not had a reply yet (about a week) -though they did reply the next day when I emailed a question back in Nov.

Essentially, I want to ask if I've made a mistake by not including a copy of my (as the US citizen) birth certificate when I submitted my I-130 application a couple weeks ago. Also if I should have sent notorised copies of my passport and marriage cert and not just plain photocopies.

I recieved the acknowlegement post card last week, but no mention of any of the above.

I can send them in a certified copy of the birth cert in about 2 weeks time (being sent from the states) but want to know if I should send it to the same address in London as the I-130 itself, or if I should just wait for them to request it (or perhaps they witll just reject the application outright ).

Obviously, if there is anything I can do to keep it from getting rejected 10 weeks down the line I'd like to try and rectify it now.

-fishyfish
You do not need to send any notarised copies of anything with the I-130 just regular photocopies are ok.

I really cant remember about the birth certificate but you can always take a copy along to your interview.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

alldoneinswifey is on a distinguished road

Hello,

[email protected]

-fishyfish

Try this number: [44] (0)20 7499-9000
Old Feb 11th 2005, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

or if I should just wait for them to request it
Yes. If it ain't broken it doesn't need fixed. They will let you know if they need anything else.

Elaine
Old Feb 11th 2005, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

mattandtina is an unknown quantity at this point

Try this:

live operator: 09055 444 546

or if in us : 44 20 7495 0551

fax 44 20 7495 4330
Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future

Hello,

-fishyfish
I read somewhere on the USCIS website (2 days ago) that certified copies of the birth certificate are no longer required. The USCIS will now accept photocopies, they recommend that the applicant bring with them the original or certified copy to the interviews.

When I first sent my I-130 to Texas they rejected it and sent back my check and application due to me not sending original signed documents and non-certified copy of my birth certificate. (again this apparently no longer is the case).
Old Feb 12th 2005, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the replies to my message. I'll try the number monday and hopefully they will tell me that the lack my birth cert in my I-130 app won't mean it gets rejected...

UPDATE:

In this mornings post, I recieved the self-addressed envelope that I included with my I-130 application.

In the envelope was the credit card receipt for the $185 processsing fee and a letter marked "Form I-171." I'm trying to figure out what it means.

It is from the US Department of Homeland Security, Ameican Embassy London, PO Box 2444. It says...

NOTICE OF APPROVAL OF RELATIVE IMMIGRANT VISA PETITION
Name of Petitioner: Me Name of Beneficairy: My wife File Number: Blank

"The visa petition you filed has been approved. The beneficiary for who you filed has been given the appropriate classification. The approval constitutes no assurance that the beneficiary will be found eligible for visa issuance.."

"Your petition yo classify the beneficiary as an immediate relative of a US citizen has been forwarded to the US consulate at London, UK. This completes all action by this service on the petition. The US consulate which is under the supervision will advise the beneficiary concerning visa issuance. Inquiry concerning visa issuance should be addressed to the consulate. "

I guess this means the I-130 itself hasn't been approved as of yet (I assume that will take about 10 more weeks or so?), only that my wife has been determined to be eligible for an I-130 application. Does that make sense?

So what happens next? I wasn't really expecting a letter this soon as I figure that in about 10 weeks time we would get a letter saying that we should fill in a DS-230 and the rest of "packet 3."

It also says that my application has been forwarded to the London Consulate. What department is it going to now?

Will they be the ones who send my wife the "packet 3 forms?"

I'm sure some one has been sent one of these letters before and can tell me what it "means" for us.

all the best,

fishyfish
Old Feb 12th 2005, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK this does mean that your I-130 is approved. Congratulations!

It also means they won't be needing your birth certificate.

It's between the consulate and your wife from now on... this is where gets determined if she qualifies for the visa. I have no idea of London timelines.

Elaine
Old Feb 12th 2005, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

Gigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant future

Congratulations on your I-130 approval!

The next step in this process is that you will receive a case number from NVC, followed by DS3023 and I-864 fee bill through the post.

The DS3023 (choice of agent) will also be sent to the beneficiary and must be signed and returned to NVC. You will return the I-864 fee bill with a money order (no personal cheques) for $65 made out to the Department of State, in the St. Louis addressed envelope which will be included in the packet.

This next part of the process is a 3 -4 month back and forth between you and the NVC until they have collected all the papers. After that they will send your case to the consulate, who then make your appointment for an interview.

Good luck. Jill
Old Feb 12th 2005, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Jill,

NVC? They filed in London. The DHS is in the same building as the consulate AFAIK, and they state that the petition already has been forwarded there.

Elaine
Old Feb 12th 2005, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Any contact details for US London Consulate?

Our I-130 has been approved outright? I hope you are right! Cool.

I'm a little surprised as it has only taken 10 or so days and I've seen other's who have recently DCF with London and their timelines reported 8-12 weeks.

Thanks for clearing all that up. I'll just take my Birth Certs with me to interview when we get there.

So I suppose we just wait to be contacted with by the DHS or Consulates Visa service now to tell my wife what to do next.

Thanks again everybody!

fishyfish
Old Feb 12th 2005, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Gigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant future

oops .. sorry!
Old Feb 12th 2005, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Fishy,

You are very insistent on showing them your birth certificate! Is it extra pretty or something?

You don't even have to be present at the interview. That's for the intended immigrant. Even if you accompany your wife, they do not want to see your b/c.
Face it... they don't want it... I know it's hard, I'm feeling all sorry for the certificate now, all unloved and un-appreciated....

Elaine

Last edited by HunterGreen; Feb 12th 2005 at 5:20 am. Reason: edited typo
Old Feb 12th 2005, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Any contact details for US London Consulate?

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
Fishy,

You are very insistent on showing them your birth certificate! Is it extra pretty or something?
They are all crisp and New and cost me $21 for the pair of them! I've gone 34 years with only the origional and now I have two extra. What will I do with those? Ebay perhaps?

-fishyfish