Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Any 2008 I-751 Approval from VSC

Wikiposts

Any 2008 I-751 Approval from VSC

Old Mar 1st 2008, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any 2008 I-751 Approval from VSC

Just feeling a need to vent about the VSC processing I-751s...

According to the published VSC processing times, they are still handling cases from March 1, 2007. So here we are, March 1, 2008... which means I-751 apps are taking at least 12-months. The extension they grant when you apply to have conditions removed is 12-months, which means EVERYONE who applied at VSC to have conditions removed is soon going to have to soon make an infopass appt to sort this mess out and get a get an extension.

:curse:

I appreciate the processing times are just indications. But right now, to have a guideline that goes beyond the 12-month extension that they grant seems unacceptable. The entire point of the 12-month extension is to allow them time to process the case and ensure as a perfectly legal greencard holder, individuals such as myself are not compromised. They should have granted 18-month extensions if 12-months and $545 isn't enough time and money for someone to look at a file and say "oh, had a sprog and live together, probably legit"...

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/Pro...viceCenter=VSC
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:22 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Just feeling a need to vent about the VSC processing I-751s...

According to the published VSC processing times, they are still handling cases from March 1, 2007. So here we are, March 1, 2008... which means I-751 apps are taking at least 12-months. The extension they grant when you apply to have conditions removed is 12-months, which means EVERYONE who applied at VSC to have conditions removed is soon going to have to soon make an infopass appt to sort this mess out and get a get an extension.
The standard processing time for I-751 was 18+ months when I joined this group in 2002. There was a brief period of get-er-done that happily occurred right when we needed to file. Ours was done in about 9 months.

So now they have slipped back in importance again. So?

The extension *letter* says 'valid for 12 months' but the law says that your status does not expire until you are told it has. Even if your 'extension letter' NOA expires, your status does not.

Not *everyone* has to get an extension stamp. If they want to travel internationally, it is probably a good idea, but there are other solutions if you are going to stay landlocked.

I appreciate that it is frustrating when things don't work the way they "should" but I confess I do not understand the level of upset that some people have. Maybe because my expectation was "18 months" I was just chilled over it. Maybe because I knew that he was going to apply for N-400 a few months later, it mattered even less. I knew we are a legit couple and had done what was expected of us, that we weren't missing out on any benefits, that the fee is the fee is the fee no matter what and none of it was really a bother. It never interrupted our lives and I can always find something better to worry about. PM me if you need a list!
Old Mar 1st 2008, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't exactly lose sleep over it, I just don't know why they don't give themselves more of a buffer and/or give it more priority. The letter says "you're valid for employment and travel in the US for another 12 months" (or something like that), so that would imply to the vast majority that beyond those 12 months you can't work in the US or travel to it. I know the reality is different, but it seems a little thoughtless to start putting people through that sort of stress when at this late stage in the immigration process, people have already invested an incredible amount of time, stress and money.

I don't mind if it takes them 40 years to approve my I-751... just give me a letter saying my GC has been extended for 40 years
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 5:18 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I think it is because the ability to change quickly (something we value in a business environment) is not consistent with bureaucratic entities, particularly this one!
Examples include using up old stock of letterhead, form letters, etc that have incorrect information on them because (insert whatever reason here) it's easier, faster, more legal etc than actually changing the letter. Forms go through a convoluted process to have even fee information changed.

Everything was going along fine until July 30 2007. What you are experiencing happened too quickly in their world, so they can't adapt a new letter or whatever just because a year or two go by differently than they had in the past.. just make due with what you've got!
More priority? I would rather that limited resources are spent where they will have better effect. I-751s aren't a high priority for me, either.

I have been reading a lot of cries and calls for immediate information out of this agency recently, and I really wonder what world folks are living in. I am not excusing or saying that it is the 'right' way for USCIS to operate, but it is NOT a business, it operates under the rules WE set up for it and I personally don't want their limited resources diverted ANY more on cock-eyed information services. I do not think that people should be able to 'see' their petition or application at any given moment in time.

Government agencies are generally not concerned with 'thoughtfulness' and stress is self-induced. Your case WILL be seen to. You DO have access to alternate evidence of status. Your status does NOT expire. Time just rolls on.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

I am possibly applying a business attitude to a government agency. I know in the company I'm in, if we accepted an "order" for something, charged $545 up front (an increase of 30% on previous years with no improvement to show for it), gave the vaguest of one year order fulfillment deadlines, gave no feedback or correspondence during that year, failed to meet that deadline, offered no apology, asked for proof periodically they are who they say they are then throw that proof away and ask for it for every "order"... well, I wouldn't actually have a company to work for since they would have long gone out of business.

I'll twiddle my thumbs for a few more months...
Old Apr 30th 2008, 8:59 am
Just Joined

VJ2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kbf
I have seen one July approval, so we can guess that they are currently processing July but boy they are slow. Mine is september and i am hoping to get approve sometime in Early March. But i hope everybody will post their timeline and approvals so that we can track
Well my application date is in Sept (sept 14th) Biometric 11/3/07
and still waiting.. VSC is slow..
my freind applied in AUg 07 and got card from VSC on march 3rd
Old Apr 30th 2008, 9:16 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
The standard processing time for I-751 was 18+ months when I joined this group in 2002.

Not *everyone* has to get an extension stamp. If they want to travel internationally, it is probably a good idea, but there are other solutions if you are going to stay landlocked.

Maybe because my expectation was "18 months" I was just chilled over it. Maybe because I knew that he was going to apply for N-400 a few months later, it mattered even less.
Didn't realise the 2002 time frame. I am concerned a bit over flying domestically but the DL should be enough.

Not everyone is going to file for the N-400. In 2002, was there also a concomitant backlog in N-400 applications?

You're right that setting expectations is key to having happy customers. My expectation would be that there'd be at least a NOA within 90 days of filing. We're still in that window, but only just.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:13 am

I'd been watching our DO's processing times for N-400; they were pretty consistant at 6 months which is right about where we came in at.
I was simply sharing my strategy for not being upset about processing times for I-751.

I do think it's wrong that you've not received a Notice of Recieipt/Extension letter for your petition.
One argument for getting a stamp off your DO is to gently remind them (with an ironic smile of course) that Toon is supposed to have proof of status on him at all times & he's just trying to do the right thing. I think we were told the fine is $100.
Old May 1st 2008, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Just to add a little more to a rant about the I-751 process...

I just went into the bank today to sort out final doc requirements on a mortgage. I could fax in most documents, but they needed to see the greencard in person then have a bank clerk sign that they had actually seen it.

Only 2 questions on the form the bank worker needed to fill:

1. A#
2. Expiration date

*sigh*

Yep, that would be last year... but not to worry, I have a scrap of paper to show it's fiiiiiine that you hand me literally several hundred thousand dollars.

Hmm, VSC compromising my ability to 1) gain employment and now 2) get somewhere to live. Great.

A massively prolonged explanation of why it's fine the expiration says last year ensued, and I ended up just saying "Look, add one to 2007 to make it 2008... ok??" The bank worker was just apathetic enough to go along with what I asked. But should a legal permanent resident really need to be doing this???

Oh, and buying a new house entails moving - and we all know how well the USCIS handle that during any immigration process. Wicked.

Starting to get really ticked off with waiting now... if you haven't already noticed

But please about the new house
Old May 5th 2008, 11:06 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I do think it's wrong that you've not received a Notice of Recieipt/Extension letter for your petition.
One argument for getting a stamp off your DO is to gently remind them (with an ironic smile of course) that Toon is supposed to have proof of status on him at all times & he's just trying to do the right thing. I think we were told the fine is $100.
Our DO is in San Antonio -- 1.5 hours in good traffic one way. It will be difficult for Toon to take time off because he can't shift hours the way a techie can. I propose that they should come to us.
Old May 15th 2008, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

hardball2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

What's the process to get an extension when your 12 month extension is almost up?
Old May 16th 2008, 12:28 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hardball2007
What's the process to get an extension when your 12 month extension is almost up?
You make an InfoPass appointment and get a stamp in your passport. If you aren't travelling outside the US in the immediate future and you have a steady job, they may or may not give you the stamp.

Ian
Old May 16th 2008, 6:02 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You make an InfoPass appointment and get a stamp in your passport. If you aren't travelling outside the US in the immediate future and you have a steady job, they may or may not give you the stamp.
Define steady.

In this economy they should give the stamp to anyone who has to travel over 50 miles to get it.
Old May 17th 2008, 12:31 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Define steady.
I define steady, in this instance, to mean that the person doesn't need to demonstrate that he is authorized to work. IOW, he has a job, and isn't likely to change jobs in the immediate future.

In this economy they should give the stamp to anyone who has to travel over 50 miles to get it.
I don't believe that "distance" is any sort of criteria!

Ian