Reload this Page >

another VWP advice question "sorry"

Wikiposts

another VWP advice question "sorry"

Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

capcom1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default another VWP advice question "sorry"

hi all..glad to find the board and ask a few questions . i have been travelling on the visa waiver programme to visit my fiance for about 3 years now " twice a year for about 2 months " and i seem to be getting stopped every time now . i know its probably because i say "fiance" and i get dragged off to the room and questioned while someone goes and asks my fiance questions at the arrivals area . my questions are , once you say fiance is it on record on there computer that you have a fiance or could i just say girlfriend ? . and if i go through dublin airport immigration am i more likely to be turned away if they cant go question her herself and just have my word to go on .wot i mean is . are they more likely to turn me down entry in ireland if they cant confirm anything and i should just land in USA and hope they they let me in with the " well he is here now and his fiance is real " conformation ? i really love america and its people but going through immigration is an horrendous feeling knowing your going to get treated like some POS criminal just because you love 1 of there citizens . excuse the long rant but it really is depressing going through this every time
Old Nov 12th 2007, 1:12 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: another VWP advice question "sorry"

Originally Posted by capcom1
hi all..glad to find the board and ask a few questions . i have been travelling on the visa waiver programme to visit my fiance for about 3 years now " twice a year for about 2 months " and i seem to be getting stopped every time now . i know its probably because i say "fiance" and i get dragged off to the room and questioned while someone goes and asks my fiance questions at the arrivals area . my questions are , once you say fiance is it on record on there computer that you have a fiance or could i just say girlfriend ? . and if i go through dublin airport immigration am i more likely to be turned away if they cant go question her herself and just have my word to go on .wot i mean is . are they more likely to turn me down entry in ireland if they cant confirm anything and i should just land in USA and hope they they let me in with the " well he is here now and his fiance is real " conformation ? i really love america and its people but going through immigration is an horrendous feeling knowing your going to get treated like some POS criminal just because you love 1 of there citizens . excuse the long rant but it really is depressing going through this every time
Hi:

Sigh -- read about the history and origin of the "internet." They've got it. BTW, turn around the facts a little bit -- you have a history of visiting your fiance and leaving a timely basis, no?
Old Nov 12th 2007, 1:13 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... once you say fiance is it on record on there computer that you have a fiance or could i just say girlfriend ?
Girlfriend... fiancee... it's all the same. You are coming to the US and you have an ongoing relationship with a USC.

... if i go through dublin airport immigration am i more likely to be turned away...
The only advantage to Dublin is that you save yourself a long flight home if you are turned away by US immigration.

... are they more likely to turn me down entry in ireland...
There's absolutely no way to know. Allowing you to enter the US (whether "in" Ireland or the US) is entirely up to the discretion of the officer. Since there is only ever a 50/50 chance... the choice is yours as to which place would be easier for you.

... going through immigration is an horrendous feeling knowing your going to get treated like some POS criminal just because you love 1 of there citizens.
Well... the solution seems obvious, don't you think?

Ian
Old Nov 12th 2007, 1:34 am
Just Joined

thanks for the response ian ..certainly beats the fancy way to say "use google " if its such an annoying or boring post , just move on ,no need to be condescending or smart about it
Old Nov 12th 2007, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

hi all..glad to find the board and ask a few questions . i have been travelling on the visa waiver programme to visit my fiance for about 3 years now " twice a year for about 2 months " and i seem to be getting stopped every time now . i know its probably because i say "fiance" and i get dragged off to the room and questioned while someone goes and asks my fiance questions at the arrivals area
What was the point of telling them you were visiting your fiancee? You could have said you were visiting a friend. As long as you don't intend to adjust status or overstay during that trip, it's none of the officer's business if you are having a romantic relationship. I always told the immigration officers I was visiting a friend (which was true) and never had any trouble. Never volunteer more information than necessary.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
What was the point of telling them you were visiting your fiancee? You could have said you were visiting a friend. As long as you don't intend to adjust status or overstay during that trip, it's none of the officer's business if you are having a romantic relationship. I always told the immigration officers I was visiting a friend (which was true) and never had any trouble. Never volunteer more information than necessary.
I did the same. First visit I said "girlfriend", and even that caused more hassle than I thought necessary to be honest. No secondary or anything like that, but it was my very first visit to the US, I'd just gotten off the longest flight I'd ever been on, I was 19... and all in all, I was a bit shocked by the 3rd degree!

I just said "friend" next time and they didn't blink.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 3:23 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Marocco
it's none of the officer's business if you are having a romantic relationship.
Hi:

I disagree -- it is the POE Inspector's business to know why an alien is coming to the US. I agree that he did not need to volunteer information -- but he already did. His question was whether or not his PRIOR statements on previous entries would be known to the POE Inspector -- my answer is that he should assume they are known.

As I also noted, if he has a history of coming in for short visits to see his lady and then leaves, that is a factor in his favor.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 4:45 am
Just Joined

elviddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla

As I also noted, if he has a history of coming in for short visits to see his lady and then leaves, that is a factor in his favor.
I agree. My advice would be to just tell them the minimum, and emphasis the fact that you have strong ties in the UK
Old Nov 12th 2007, 7:35 am
Just Joined

thanks for all the replies . i guess i messed up telling them fiance then , but i was always under the impression that you should always tell the truth to anything they ask so said fiance in a spur of the moment thing "had the ring , was excited ,ect" . i will just have to take a chance and say fiance all the time and hope i get a decent person at the desk . thanks all
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:39 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the response ian ..certainly beats the fancy way to say "use google " ...
I really have no idea what you're talking about!

Ian
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Hate to ask the obvious, but if you've been visiting your fiancee for 3 years now, why don't you get married and all these problems will go away?
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:54 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
Hate to ask the obvious, but if you've been visiting your fiancee for 3 years now, why don't you get married and all these problems will go away?
No actually they won't - why would they?
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Um.. because then he can start the process to immigrate if he wants to? I'd presume someone who is married will want to live in the same country as their spouse.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:43 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
Um.. because then he can start the process to immigrate if he wants to? I'd presume someone who is married will want to live in the same country as their spouse.
Nowhere has the OP actually stated that she wants to live in the US.

At this point, her concern seems to be related to wanting to visit her fiance.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 4:05 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Have proof that you are returning to your home country such as a return ticket, lease, mortgage, proof of employment, pay stubs, proof of school attendance and anything that you can show to prove that you aren't moving in. That makes it easy for them to let you in.