Reload this Page >

Another London I-864 question

Wikiposts

Another London I-864 question

Old Jun 5th 2002, 12:20 am
S.M.

Default Another London I-864 question

When you interview in London for a I-130 immediate relative visa, does the
interviewer keep the original W2 or will copies suffice? I don't want to be giving
away information that we don't have to....
S.M.

Old Jun 5th 2002, 12:20 am
Alvena Ferreira

Default Re: Another London I-864 question

"S.M." wrote:
    > When you interview in London for a I-130 immediate relative visa, does the
    > interviewer keep the original W2 or will copies suffice? I don't want to be giving
    > away information that we don't have to....

Regarding all documents at the interview: Take the original and make a copy of every
original. Show the interviewer the original, and give them the copy to keep. That way
you get to keep all of your originals.

Alvena

Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
gleaned from the previous postings of others, and posted for the purpose of
discussion only. If your case is complicated, then you may need an immigration
attorney. Locate an immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old Jun 5th 2002, 5:20 am
Paul Helpdesk

Copies of the documents are generally accepted by the Consulate except documents
related to approval, financial support etc.

Paul @ HelpDesk

Old Jun 5th 2002, 9:20 am
L D Jones

"S.M." wrote:
    >
    > When you interview in London for a I-130 immediate relative visa, does the
    > interviewer keep the original W2 or will copies suffice? I don't want to be giving
    > away information that we don't have to....
    > S.M.

The interviewer may ask to see the original so have it with you (or every possible
document). Also have a copy to give them for the package. Once you step to the
window you will be asked for a copy of each document on the checklist. As I
understand it, the London Embassy keeps no paperwork (copies or originals) so you
will actually carry all of the paperwork to the US in the "brown envelope" once the
visa is granted.

At our interview the staff looked at my original tax returns and took a copy of each
of the three years for the package, as well as the copies of the other documents. The
copies of the tax returns I gave them included a W-2 for each year. I'm not sure
whether there would have been a problem had a W-2 been missing. The return itself
would probably suffice (but this is only my impression).

In our case the staff wanted to see a letter from my employer that stated they would
continue my employment in the US. I did not have this letter since the I-864
instruction pack sent by the embassy seemed to state that a recent pay statement
would be enough. The person interviewing us asked a supervisor and they waived the
"letter requirement." The fact that I worked for a US company in the UK and would
continue to work for them on my return to the US probably helped.

Old Jun 12th 2002, 10:20 am
Mg

You don't need the W2, you only need copies of your tax return. If you don't have
copies of the tax return you won't get your visa!

Good luck!!

Mark "L D Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > "S.M." wrote:
    > >
    > > When you interview in London for a I-130 immediate relative visa, does
the
    > > interviewer keep the original W2 or will copies suffice? I don't want to be
    > > giving away information that we don't have to....
    > > S.M.
    >
    > The interviewer may ask to see the original so have it with you (or every possible
    > document). Also have a copy to give them for the package. Once you step to the
    > window you will be asked for a copy of each document on the checklist. As I
    > understand it, the London Embassy keeps no paperwork (copies or originals) so you
    > will actually carry all of the paperwork to the US in the "brown envelope" once the
    > visa is granted.
    >
    > At our interview the staff looked at my original tax returns and took a copy of
    > each of the three years for the package, as well as the copies of the other
    > documents. The copies of the tax returns I gave them included a W-2 for each year.
    > I'm not sure whether there would have been a problem had a W-2 been missing. The
    > return itself would probably suffice (but this is only my impression).
    >
    > In our case the staff wanted to see a letter from my employer that stated they
    > would continue my employment in the US. I did not have this letter since the I-864
    > instruction pack sent by the embassy seemed to state that a recent pay statement
    > would be enough. The person interviewing us asked a supervisor and they waived the
    > "letter requirement." The fact that I worked for a US company in the UK and would
    > continue to work for them on my return to the US probably helped.