Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Another Green Card or Citizenship?

Another Green Card or Citizenship?

Old Mar 2nd 2019, 5:54 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another Green Card or Citizenship?

A guy in our ex-pat group shared this with us a few weeks ago and has the following question/dilemma: to get another Green Card or apply for Citizenship? Figured I'd throw it out here as it is beyond my pay grade and we recommended he speak with an Imm Attorney.....
He's afraid if he goes for the N400 that they'll deny him since he overstayed when he came as a tourist from England back in the mid 90's.
After he overstayed:

- married 1st US wife circa '94
- got Green Card and has had one ever since
- got divorced and married 2nd and current US wife circa '98
- Job, house, child, career

Do the previous and most recent 20+ years of tax-paying history negate the fact that he overstayed in the 1st place should he go the N400 route with application, test, interview, etc?

Old Mar 2nd 2019, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Green Card or Citizenship?

In my opinion.

The overstay won't matter. Although no, it won't be negated.
But personally I'd get an immigration attorney to handle things, and be honest with them.

As to getting citizenship, it comes with it's own issues, for example taxation and investment issues, however I still believe it's the wiser choice as you then have a choice of countries.

It's a personal choice though.

Note: I am not an immigration professional. I could be wrong.

Last edited by Hotscot; Mar 2nd 2019 at 6:11 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 6:12 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
A guy in our ex-pat group shared this with us a few weeks ago and has the following question/dilemma: to get another Green Card or apply for Citizenship? Figured I'd throw it out here as it is beyond my pay grade and we recommended he speak with an Imm Attorney.....
He's afraid if he goes for the N400 that they'll deny him since he overstayed when he came as a tourist from England back in the mid 90's.
After he overstayed:

- married 1st US wife circa '94
- got Green Card and has had one ever since
- got divorced and married 2nd and current US wife circa '98
- Job, house, child, career

Do the previous and most recent 20+ years of tax-paying history negate the fact that he overstayed in the 1st place should he go the N400 route with application, test, interview, etc?

The overstay became water under the bridge when he was granted the green card. He should go ahead and file for citizenship. I see no reason to waste money on an attorney.
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I was just thinking of the current administration...
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 7:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of the current administration, his overstay was negated when he successfully interviewed for the initial adjustment of status due to marriage to a USC. I fully understand that many view the current administration as one with evil intent towards immigrants. A thorough look at what has been proposed and enacted are for those that have remained illegally or have used means tested benefits which they were not privileged to use and for the abolishment of certain 'humane' acts that gave sanctuary to certain nationalities.

Becoming a USC is a personal choice and there pluses and minuses in each column.

Here are the pros and cons for US Citizenship from BE's wiki

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_...US_Citizenship
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Errol is an unknown quantity at this point

Becoming a USC is a personal choice and there pluses and minuses in each column.

I became a US Citizen in 1987. You never know what lies ahead. Knowing what I know now in my case in 1987 I wouldn't do it

I am likely going back and for me, at least, US Citizenship could be a real pain

Errol
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 9:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

42 years as a US Citizen probably served you very well over the years. Most likely you are fearing the need to complete a US tax return yearly. You're at minimum on the upside of 50 and ready to retire soon. File a tax return shouldn't be a problem or a monetary burden.