Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Another Baltimore Story

Wikiposts

Another Baltimore Story

Old May 1st 2002, 6:10 am
Will

Default Another Baltimore Story

I have been a lurker on this board for last couple of months and got very helpful
information for my AOS process. I had my interview yesterday and got approved! Thank
you everybody and special thank you to Mrs Blackross who kindly responded to my
private emails.

My time line:

Came to USA in Aug, 94 with F-1 Got job after graduation with EAD (Practical
Training) in Jan, 98 Got H1B approval in Aug, 98 Married on Dec 27, 01 Sent I-130,
I-485, I-131, I-765 on Feb 11, 02 Received 1st NOA's of I-130 & I-131 on Mar 11, 02
(What happened to my I-485 & I-765?) Received approval of I-131 on Mar 15, 02
Received 1st NOA's of I-485 & I-765 on Mar 18(?) (How do you remember all those
dates? I can't) Received EAD on Apr 1(?) Received interview appointment letter on Apr
8(?) Interview on Apr 30

Interview itself was very painless. Almost same stories with other people who had
their interviews in Baltimore INS. Our appointment was at 3:00 pm. Arrived around
2:30 pm. Roomful of people. Very stuffy air. A lot of people were frustrated with
waiting. Called in around
3:45 pm. Nice interviewer, but not chatty. Just trying to do her job. Sworn in. Not
many questions. Just confirming the information on our applications. We just had to
repeat, "Uh huh, uh huh" many times. But she asked for our copy of 2001 tax return.
We gave it to her. Our proof of bona fide marriage was not a lot. She accepted
whatever we brought. She wanted to see our wedding photographs. We did not have any
because ours was a civil ceremony at the court without any family or friend (no, we
did not elope). No problem. My fingerprint and signature. The STAMP on my passport.
Whole interview took about ten minutes.

Basically I wasted about two hundred dollars in this process. 1. I did not have a
chance to use my I-131. 2. I did not really need EAD because my H1B was not supposed
to expire until 2004 and I like my current job. But that's OK.

I had two glitches. 1. I did not receive the first NOA's of I-485 and I-765 with
those of I-131 and I-130 on the same day. It freaked me out, so I called VSC. The
officer said that he did not know why I had not received them and could not send
another NOA's, but offered to write letters to me with the case number information
and all that so that I could check my status by phone and bring them to my
interview. Actually I got the NOA's before I got the letters form him. Still don't
know why it happened that way. 2. When I checked the status of I-765 by phone one
day, it said that my I-765 was sent to Baltimore and Baltimore will make final
decision. But why? I had EAD experiences with my practical training and never heard
that Baltimore processes
it. Couple of days later it arrived by mail from nowhere else but Vermont. Why did
the automatic telephone system have wrong information? I don't know.

Other than that, everything was very smooth and quick. Hubby is very happy that it is
finally over (well, at least for twenty one months), because he knows how anxious I
have been "unnecessarily" according to him. Today everyone at work is happy with my
status change and congratulates me because I am "the heart and soul of the
department" (my boss's expression).

Good luck to everybody who is still waiting.

Old May 1st 2002, 10:10 am
Omo

Default Re: Another Baltimore Story

[email protected] (will) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > I have been a lurker on this board for last couple of months and got very helpful
    > information for my AOS process. I had my interview yesterday and got approved!
    > Thank you everybody and special thank you to Mrs Blackross who kindly responded to
    > my private emails.
    >

Congratulations!

Old May 1st 2002, 3:40 pm
Mrs_blackross

gotta love that closet-sized waiting room they have at the Baltimore office!

congratulations see? told ya not to sweat it! now be a good NG member and go paste
your interview experience post on the NG websites before mother Rete gets on your ass
about it. (8Þ~~ Rete!)

--
Crazy Canuck married to a Dam Yankee Entered as Visitor 07/04/01 Married 08/25/01
Filed @ VSC-AOS, EAD, AP 01/07/02 1st NOA 02/06/02 2nd NOA 02/07/02 EAD approved
02/26/02 AP Approved 02/28/02 AOS appointment letter rec'd 03/07/02 Fingerprint
letter rec'd 03/07/02 AOS interview 04/02/02 AOS APPROVED 04/02/02!!! GC arrived in
mail 04/19/02 next step..removing conditions..April 2004

some helpful sites on the net:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm
http://www.geocities.com/immigration...-130/index.htm

"will" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I have been a lurker on this board for last couple of months and got very helpful
    > information for my AOS process. I had my interview yesterday and got approved!
    > Thank you everybody and special thank you to Mrs Blackross who kindly responded to
    > my private emails.
    >
    > My time line:
    >
    > Came to USA in Aug, 94 with F-1 Got job after graduation with EAD (Practical
    > Training) in Jan, 98 Got H1B approval in Aug, 98 Married on Dec 27, 01 Sent I-130,
    > I-485, I-131, I-765 on Feb 11, 02 Received 1st NOA's of I-130 & I-131 on Mar 11, 02
    > (What happened to my I-485 & I-765?) Received approval of I-131 on Mar 15, 02
    > Received 1st NOA's of I-485 & I-765 on Mar 18(?) (How do you remember all those
    > dates? I can't) Received EAD on Apr 1(?) Received interview appointment letter on
    > Apr 8(?) Interview on Apr 30
    >
    > Interview itself was very painless. Almost same stories with other people who had
    > their interviews in Baltimore INS. Our appointment was at 3:00 pm. Arrived around
    > 2:30 pm. Roomful of people. Very stuffy air. A lot of people were frustrated with
    > waiting. Called in around
    > 3:45 pm. Nice interviewer, but not chatty. Just trying to do her job. Sworn in. Not
    > many questions. Just confirming the information on our applications. We just had
    > to repeat, "Uh huh, uh huh" many times. But she asked for our copy of 2001 tax
    > return. We gave it to her. Our proof of bona fide marriage was not a lot. She
    > accepted whatever we brought. She wanted to see our wedding photographs. We did
    > not have any because ours was a civil ceremony at the court without any family or
    > friend (no, we did not elope). No problem. My fingerprint and signature. The
    > STAMP on my passport. Whole interview took about ten minutes.
    >
    > Basically I wasted about two hundred dollars in this process. 1. I did not have a
    > chance to use my I-131. 2. I did not really need EAD because my H1B was not
    > supposed to expire until 2004 and I like my current job. But that's OK.
    >
    > I had two glitches. 1. I did not receive the first NOA's of I-485 and I-765 with
    > those of I-131 and I-130 on the same day. It freaked me out, so I called VSC. The
    > officer said that he did not know why I had not received them and could not send
    > another NOA's, but offered to write letters to me with the case number information
    > and all that so that I could check my status by phone and bring them to my
    > interview. Actually I got the NOA's before I got the letters form him. Still don't
    > know why it happened that way. 2. When I checked the status of I-765 by phone one
    > day, it said that my I-765 was sent to Baltimore and Baltimore will make final
    > decision. But why? I had EAD experiences with my practical training and never heard
    > that Baltimore processes
    > it. Couple of days later it arrived by mail from nowhere else but Vermont. Why did
    > the automatic telephone system have wrong information? I don't know.
    >
    > Other than that, everything was very smooth and quick. Hubby is very happy that it
    > is finally over (well, at least for twenty one months), because he knows how
    > anxious I have been "unnecessarily" according to him. Today everyone at work is
    > happy with my status change and congratulates me because I am "the heart and soul
    > of the department" (my boss's expression).
    >
    > Good luck to everybody who is still waiting.

Old May 1st 2002, 10:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

And in case you don't have that URL for pasting, here it is:

Update AOS Experiences at: http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html

Mother Rete :-)
Old May 6th 2002, 11:40 pm
Andy Platt

Congrats on (a) getting married on my birthday and (b) doing AOS in just a
few months!!!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "will" <[email protected]>
wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > my private emails.
    >
    > My time line:
    >
    > Came to USA in Aug, 94 with F-1 Got job after graduation with EAD (Practical
    > Training) in Jan, 98 Got H1B approval in Aug, 98 Married on Dec 27, 01 Sent I-130,
    > I-485, I-131, I-765 on Feb 11, 02 Received 1st NOA's of I-130 & I-131 on Mar 11, 02
    > (What happened to my I-485 & I-765?) Received approval of I-131 on Mar 15, 02
    > Received 1st NOA's of I-485 & I-765 on Mar 18(?) (How do you remember all those
    > dates? I can't) Received EAD on Apr 1(?) Received interview appointment letter on
    > Apr 8(?) Interview on Apr 30
    >
    > Interview itself was very painless. Almost same stories with other people who had
    > their interviews in Baltimore INS. Our appointment was at 3:00 pm. Arrived around
    > 2:30 pm. Roomful of people. Very stuffy air. A lot of people were frustrated with
    > waiting. Called in around
    > 3:45 pm. Nice interviewer, but not chatty. Just trying to do her job. Sworn in. Not
    > many questions. Just confirming the information on our applications. We just had
    > to repeat, "Uh huh, uh huh" many times. But she asked for our copy of 2001 tax
    > return. We gave it to her. Our proof of bona fide marriage was not a lot. She
    > accepted whatever we brought. She wanted to see our wedding photographs. We did
    > not have any because ours was a civil ceremony at the court without any family or
    > friend (no, we did not elope). No problem. My fingerprint and signature. The
    > STAMP on my passport. Whole interview took about ten minutes.
    >
    > Basically I wasted about two hundred dollars in this process. 1. I did not have a
    > chance to use my I-131. 2. I did not really need EAD because my H1B was not
    > supposed to expire until 2004 and I like my current job. But that's OK.
    >
    > I had two glitches. 1. I did not receive the first NOA's of I-485 and I-765 with
    > those of I-131 and I-130 on the same day. It freaked me out, so I called VSC. The
    > officer said that he did not know why I had not received them and could not send
    > another NOA's, but offered to write letters to me with the case number information
    > and all that so that I could check my status by phone and bring them to my
    > interview. Actually I got the NOA's before I got the letters form him. Still don't
    > know why it happened that way. 2. When I checked the status of I-765 by phone one
    > day, it said that my I-765 was sent to Baltimore and Baltimore will make final
    > decision. But why? I had EAD experiences with my practical training and never heard
    > that Baltimore processes
    > it. Couple of days later it arrived by mail from nowhere else but Vermont. Why did
    > the automatic telephone system have wrong information? I don't know.
    >
    > Other than that, everything was very smooth and quick. Hubby is very happy that it
    > is finally over (well, at least for twenty one months), because he knows how
    > anxious I have been "unnecessarily" according to him. Today everyone at work is
    > happy with my status change and congratulates me because I am "the heart and soul
    > of the department" (my boss's expression).
    >
    > Good luck to everybody who is still waiting.