Wikiposts

Another AP

Old Jun 16th 2002, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

smartiegirl88 is on a distinguished road
Default Another AP

Am I right in thinking that the AP is only good for a year? I got mine in May 2001, and I think it expired May 2002. I went to the Charleston SC office to apply for another AP, but the lady at the front desk told me that it would probably be denied because it had been more than 180 days since I filed my AOS. I was upset at the time because they told me that my AOS may still take up to a year to process, even after having the interview! So I didn't ask her if this was still the case if I had an AP granted before.

The lady asked me why I wanted to go abroad, I told her that it was my mother's birthday and there were 2 weddings I wanted to attend. She proceeded to tell me that they weren't emergencies. So now I am thinking that I have to make some bs story up and tell them that someone is dying!! Is this the case??? Why are morbid events the only ones considered emergencies? And if someone did die, and I didn't have AP, what would I do to get out of the US and get back without any problems? Would I have to bring a corpse to the office to prove it?!

Now I am worried that the INS won't let me leave the country for another year, which will more than likely drive me insane......
Old Jun 16th 2002, 12:20 pm
Mrtravel

Default Re: Another AP

Smartie,

Does the woman at the front desk have any control over whether you file for the AP or
not? If so, then ask for a supervisor. If not, then file.

I see no reason a second one wouldn't be granted. After all, you didn't need an
emergency for the first one.

Did you ever notice that some people like to think they are more powerful than they
are by sitting on the other side of a desk?

Old Jun 16th 2002, 4:20 pm
Shelley

My husband filed for a second AP (and EAD) while we waited for his AOS interview - we
didn't have any emergencies or anything like that, just wanted to visit family. We
simply mailed in the application with a copy of the 1st one and got the second.
Perhaps the agent thought you wanted an AP right away that day - I see by this
website http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/instimes.htm APs are taking 30 days to
process, so try mailing the application in. Hopefully someone other than the woman
you talked to will process it. Take care. Shelley

"smartiegirl88" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Am I right in thinking that the AP is only good for a year? I got mine in May 2001,
    > and I think it expired May 2002. I went to the Charleston SC office to apply for
    > another AP, but the lady at the front desk told me that it would probably be denied
    > because it had been more than 180 days since I filed my AOS. I was upset at the
    > time because they told me that my AOS may still take up to a year to process, even
    > after having the interview! So I didn't ask her if this was still the case if I had
    > an AP granted before.
    >
    > The lady asked me why I wanted to go abroad, I told her that it was my mother's
    > birthday and there were 2 weddings I wanted to attend. She proceeded to tell me
    > that they weren't emergencies. So now I am thinking that I have to make some bs
    > story up and tell them that someone is dying!! Is this the case??? Why are morbid
    > events the only ones considered emergencies? And if someone did die, and I didn't
    > have AP, what would I do to get out of the US and get back without any problems?
    > Would I have to bring a corpse to the office to prove it?!
    >
    > Now I am worried that the INS won't let me leave the country for another year,
    > which will more than likely drive me insane......
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 17th 2002, 12:20 am
Andy Platt

"smartiegirl88" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Am I right in thinking that the AP is only good for a year? I got mine in May 2001,
    > and I think it expired May 2002. I went to the Charleston SC office to apply for
    > another AP, but the lady at the front desk told me that it would probably be denied
    > because it had been more than 180 days since I filed my AOS. I was upset at the
    > time because they told me

Pardon my French but that's a load of bollocks (which if you don't speak British
English basically means the lady didn't know what she was talking about). You can
apply at any time during AOS for AP and you don't need to have an emergency to
qualify for one.

I got two AP documents while I was pending AOS - the first filed with the AOS
application and the second filed a year later.

Just file exactly as you did before; I included a copy of my original AP with the
second application but the form doesn't explicitly call for this. You *do* have to
file a copy of the receipt you (hopefully) got when you filed to adjust status.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Jun 17th 2002, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

smartiegirl88 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for all your feedback- I agree that it's a load of bollocks- (being from Manchester I know what you mean!) Just that the lady scared me and I thought I would be stuck here and not be able to go home!

Going to mail the AP off today and include a copy of the first one just in case....

Thanks all
Old Jun 17th 2002, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

somersetfolks is an unknown quantity at this point

I was denied my AP paperwork in Atlanta since they had said it was more than 180 days since, and I am still confused about this, either the day I entered the US, the day we got married or the day my K1 expired. There were several circumstances why we did not file immediately. But, to my knowledge, there is nothing on the K1 petition and instructions, the I -131 AP application and instructions and there is a line which they pointed out on page 3 of the I-485 instructions which basically is comparing me to people that unlawfully overstayed there visit, and if i left i would be subject to a 3-year ban.

We are now trying to appeal the decision through political means, though nothing major has happend yet, and might even consider moving to another area whose processing times are a lot shorter than atlanta. atlanta is up to two years, while boston is 90-120 days. go figure.

If anyone has any similiar experiences or any thoughts, I would appreciate it.